Volquartsen or Tandemkross magazine disconnect ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
I will be picking up my new 22/45 MK 4 in about 10 days. I want to do away with the magazine disconnect. I will probably leave the trigger pull as is unless it is really bad. The Volquartsen kit is more expensive, but the like and have used other of their products or should I use the Tandemkross Blast Shield ? I just want to make the gun more simple like a MK 2. Once I get the new gun home, I will have a better idea what I want to do. I have heard whispers in the dark about other ways to do it. Shhhhhhhhhh.

INLINECHEVY6.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
Use a Mk II hammer bushing instead of the Mk III/IV.
Can you explain further ? Can I just replace the MK 4 parts like the bushing, hammer and sear from a MK 2 ? I don't have the MK 4 home yet to compare parts and measurement differences. I have no problem taking them all apart and putting them back together.

INLINECHEVY6.

NikA

Buckeye
At least on the Mk III, you could either replace the hammer and bushing with Mk II parts or fit a washer to replace the magazine disconnect on the bushing. I see a large number of aftermarket stepped bushings available to address this. I honestly don't remember what I did with my Mk III at this point, but it was as simple as detail stripping and replacing the appropriate parts. Mk IV should be the same based on the number of parts that claim to service both models.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
At least on the Mk III, you could either replace the hammer and bushing with Mk II parts or fit a washer to replace the magazine disconnect on the bushing. I see a large number of aftermarket stepped bushings available to address this. I honestly don't remember what I did with my Mk III at this point, but it was as simple as detail stripping and replacing the appropriate parts. Mk IV should be the same based on the number of parts that claim to service both models.
The MK 4 models have extra parts in them for the magazine safety feature. I want to make my model MK 4 more like a model MK 2 if possible.

INLINECHEVY6.

NikA

Buckeye
The MK 4 models have extra parts in them for the magazine safety feature. I want to make my model MK 4 more like a model MK 2 if possible.

INLINECHEVY6.
I'd posit that new piece is there to forcibly eject the magazine, and swapping Mk II parts will result in a completely functional firearm. On the other hand, the aftermarket solution appears to be a small amount of cutting and filing from the factory part, so you could always modify it and request a new part from Ruger if you are dissatisfied with the result.

I have no idea about the MkIV but I used TandemKross parts in a couple of 22/45 III that I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for VQ kits. The TK parts worked fine in that application.
IMHO, if that's all you're going to change, the TK bushing will be good enough.

I will be picking up my new 22/45 MK 4 in about 10 days. I want to do away with the magazine disconnect. I will probably leave the trigger pull as is unless it is really bad. The Volquartsen kit is more expensive, but the like and have used other of their products or should I use the Tandemkross Blast Shield ? I just want to make the gun more simple like a MK 2. Once I get the new gun home, I will have a better idea what I want to do. I have heard whispers in the dark about other ways to do it. Shhhhhhhhhh.

INLINECHEVY6.

I suspect your stock trigger will be a minimum of 5 pounds.

arcee

Bearcat
I went with a gun smith installed full VQ kit in my mark 4 stainless target. Had to sacrifice the magazine disconnect. About 2lb's on the trigger now, no overtravel, and no take up. Easily rivals my 1970's Smith 41 long slide in trigger performance and shooting pleasure.
Mounted a rail, Hogue rubber grips, and a muzzle brake. Really good accuracy and performance. Not breath taking, but Really Good.

Just my 2 cents.
v/r arcee

Johnnu2

Hunter
I went with a gun smith installed full VQ kit in my mark 4 stainless target. Had to sacrifice the magazine disconnect. About 2lb's on the trigger now, no overtravel, and no take up. Easily rivals my 1970's Smith 41 long slide in trigger performance and shooting pleasure.
Mounted a rail, Hogue rubber grips, and a muzzle brake. Really good accuracy and performance. Not breath taking, but Really Good.

Just my 2 cents.
v/r arcee
GOOD CHOICE arcee:

I went with the VQ kit and installed it myself. I especially liked that the kit is designed to EXCLUDE the mag safety.... Result: 2 lbs and no over-travel.... Worth every penny even if you have to have a gunsmith do it for you

IMHO

J.

Last edited:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Go to E-Bay and you can find the VQ kit for $85. It's a blem kit but you won't see anything wrong with it and it's well worth the money.

Go to VQ or YouTube and watch the video on how to install it. Watch it twice before you take your gun apart. First time will probably take you an hour, I can now do it in 10 minutes. I've done about 10 of these upgrades.

Get a good needle nose pliers or a set of forceps they will help you to get the sear spring back on and hold the sear to get it in place.

Good luck and good shooting.

PRM

Bearcat
I put this together to help teach my grandsons grip, etc. Just a really nice shooter.

Attachments

• MK IV.jpg
    MK IV.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts