Volquartsen install in a Mk 3....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

msp2640

Single-Sixer
I did a search back to 2012 on this forum, but none of the posts directly addressed my needed info, so....for those that have done the install of the basic kit (trigger, hammer, sear, etc) not the complete competition kit........anything to be aware of during the reassembly with the new parts? I can field strip and reassemble the pistol without any issues and have the smarts, to not tread where I'm not comfortable when taking firearms apart. I guess I'm looking to pick the brains of those who have done this install and have any insight into what they did that worked (or didn't) and if they would have changed anything they way the did it along the way. Greatly appreciate your insight and knowledge! Thanks Bill in MA

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Go to YouTube and search for "Volquartsen" Accurizing kits" and "Ruger Mk III detail strip". You will get a TON of videos showing all of the details on how to disassemble your gun and install the new parts.

BTW, the trigger, hammer, sear bushing and sear spring are the complete kit and there is no reason not to get it. Also, unless you are very fond of the magazine disconnect in your pistol, buy the MkII kit which will eliminate it.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
I've seen a few of those videos, but just wanted to check in with anyone who has done the install personally, that can advise on do's/ dont's. The mag disconnect doesn't bother me and I already bought a Mk 3 kit anyway (the $100 version)....they did list a kit in the $150 range, but since this is a fun gun and I don't shoot competition, I didn't think the high end kit would suit my needs or if I'd even notice a difference between the 2 kits. Thanks for the heads up on the videos, as I do plan on revisting them before I dive into this - Bill in MA

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I just replaced the bushing, trigger and sear from Volquartsen in my Mark III and ended up with a very nice crisp trigger at just under 2 lbs.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
msp2640 said:
..they did list a kit in the $150 range, but since this is a fun gun and I don't shoot competition, I didn't think the high end kit would suit my needs or if I'd even notice a difference between the 2 kits. Thanks for the heads up on the videos, as I do plan on revisting them before I dive into this - Bill in MA
That $150 kit includes an aftermarket firing pin, extractor, trigger bar and bolt release and, I agree, not all of that is needed.

You might consider either the Volquartsen or TandemKross replacement extractors. They are relatively cheap and more reliable than the factory extractor.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
AzShooter1 said:
I just replaced the bushing, trigger and sear from Volquartsen in my Mark III and ended up with a very nice crisp trigger at just under 2 lbs.

I did the same thing with my Mark III Comp. Also removed the LCI and added a filler.
Much better trigger.... recommended.

Cordite

msp2640

Single-Sixer
Gents, Just spent some time on the Mk 3 this afternoon. What took one of the guys in the videos about 20 minutes, took me almost 2 hrs. The only real "issue" I ran into, was that I wasn't completely sure how the hammer assy went together on the bushing and the orientation of the spring. Didn't want to force anything on reassembly and was having problems getting the takedown mechanism reinserted and later bolt only retracting 1/2" after reassembly. Several removals of the hammer assy, realized it was put together correctly. Did find at one point, the recoil/bolt spring assy had jumped slightly out of position on the bolt. Also found the pin on the base of the hammer got stuck on the cross pin of the frame, because I tilted the frame when putting it together. It was used, but minty when I bought it. Don't think it was ever field stripped before I bought it. It was tight and fairly clean, don't believe it had been used much. Cleaned it and took my time, as I went along. Very happy with my results, don't have a trigger gauge, but it feels great. Hope to get to the range in the next few days for some trigger time. I may get the extractors mentioned, but will run with the stock ones for now. Appreciate all the insight. Thanks Bill in MA

22/45 Fan

Hunter
msp2640 said:
What took one of the guys in the videos about 20 minutes, took me almost 2 hrs.
What you don't see in the videos is that the guy modifying the gun had done it a dozen times before for practice and he edited out all of the miscues and accidents during the video's final production. If you were unfamiliar with the gun and had several "do-overs" and only took 2 hours, you did well.

Latest posts