Volquartsen Accurizing Kit for MK IV - Question about sear spring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsrfun1

Bearcat
I installed the VQ Accurizing Kit in my MK IV Target this weekend. All the dry-fire function checks passed.

I left the factory sear spring in, to avoid any light strikes, etc. Generally speaking, I like to keep OEM parts in when possible, and the polished VQ sear is doing most of the work in reducing trigger pull anyway. (It's all I've ever changed in my MK II's.)

Trigger pull is now ~ 2 lbs. 12 ounces, good enough for me. But I'm curious, if I would replace the factory sear spring with the VQ sear spring, approximately how much additional reduction (in pounds or ounces) would I get in the trigger pull weight? And can it cause other problems?

Thanks

Johnnu2

Hunter
A year or more ago, I installed the VQ Accurizing kit in my MK IV Target LITE... I changed everything and replaced with whatever was in the kit (getting old so can't remember the exact details...but I did install everything they sent). So far, not a single problem (that I can remember anyway).... The pull does feel like 2lbs +/- but I have to confess that I never did actually put it to a scale. Overall, the trigger pull is magnificent and I couldn't ask for more. The only thing that I forgot to install was the little spacer on the side of the hammer(?) that VQ said could be left out without causing a problem. I just overlooked it and am too lazy to take it all apart again.

J.

gunsrfun1

Bearcat
Thanks John, good to know. I decided to try the VQ sear spring instead of the OEM sear spring. I was getting ~ 2 lb. 12 oz. trigger pull with the OEM sear spring. I am now getting ~ 2 lbs. 5 oz. with the VQ sear spring, so I am going to leave it in, as long as I get no reliability issues at the range. (I haven't shot it yet with the accurizing kit installed.) Of course, I changed out the disconnector and sear to the VQ parts as well.
The more I thought about it, I don't think the sear spring would impact light strikes or not ... I believe that issue, if it occurs, would be the result of a too-light hammer spring. But that doesn't get changed, so I am thinking there should be no effect.
We'll find out when I shoot it.

Johnnu2

Hunter
You should be good to go.... assuming the gun has had several hundred break-in rounds.

I also dumped the magazine disconnect/'safety' thingie........

J.