Virginian Dragoons

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
I posted yesterday asking about a Dragoon 44 mag I found at a local shop. I was asking about the blued model, but there was also a stainless one too. I was talked into going back and getting the one, and I decided I couldn't separate the pair, so I bought both.

xaxe6e.jpg

What I like most about them!
6cXQ51.jpg

I need to find a rear sight for the stainless one, but I like that it has the groove and can be shot fixed sight style until I can get the work done. apparently the front sight has already been filed, so someone figured out that could be done before I did! :)

if I decide they are keepers, I will make my own grips for them to dress them up some. the finish is good on both.

Great looking revolvers. I've never owned a Virginian Dragoon, but have always heard nothing but good about them. They've always looked to be very well made, built to last. I don't blame you for buying the both of them.
Enjoy,
Jay "Shotgungibbs" Prather

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
You probably already know this: When loading these revolvers, leave the chamber between the two punch marks on the cylinder empty. Index the cylinder so that the punch marks are on either side of the top strap, and you're safe to carry.

Bob Wright

Joe S.

Hunter
The first time I fondled these was the day I bought them. I had never really given them a second look until I started reading about them over on Lee Martin's single actions

Joe S.

Hunter
6GUNSONLY said:
I had one of the .22 frame size many years ago; a .22 mag. They seem to be really well-built. Didn't these have a "Swiss safe" system where the base pin could be pressed rearward to block the hammer?
Yessir

Mike Armstrong said:
These are a real value, a "sleeper" among SAs.

Agreed!!

gatling

Blackhawk
I've had these forever. They're unfired, new in the box, with all papers and the sleeve. Almost too pretty to shoot and I usually favor my stainless .357 Blackhawk when I want to shoot a single action...

Saw your post on the Virginian Dragoons and thought I'd weigh in.

12295289_10153306947041801_3453405168986821209_n.jpg

gatling

Blackhawk
I believe they are 8 3/8 inches, something they picked up from Smith and Wesson.