VINTAGE PUMA SKINNER {1966}

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Way back around 67-68 I bought a Puma Skinner. Cost back then was around $26-27 I do recall. According to the stamp code on guard it was made in FEB. of 1966. I know they were made of nickel plated carbon steel back then but could someone inform me of what type of carbon steel was use in the construction back then on Puma knives like mine and the White Hunter? Never could get a straight answer. Maybe 1095 or another type? Glad I held onto it all these years as the vintage ones seem to be of interest to collectors.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
I did. Chart shows different alloys used in production such as Vanadium or Molybdenum. Guess I did OK still for $26 even though it was eons ago. About the only treasured item I own from my youth besides that Daisy pump model 25 that still works! LOL

OM41

Ruger Forum Member since 07
IIRC the steel was 440C

In 1969 I bought a Puma Bowie for my Dad as a gift, he used it on many deer and elk

Cholo

Staff member
In '73 my friend lent me his Puma, Game Warden I believe, for my all summer long motorcycle camping trip. What a knife! A few years later I bought a Buck 110 (?) and didn't like it at all. Somehow it went missing in my young sons room and I didn't even care LOL If I'd have had that Puma it would have been a different story.

montana outfitters

Single-Sixer
I wore a skinner in Nan for 15 months and used it a lot , never had to stick a dink but cut up several pigs, ducks and look-out geese they tied to
ditch crossings..........left a foot tied to the cord so the VC knew we knew their game.....................

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Cool story montana! Nothing so exciting for my report. Just lugged out a few times for deer hunts. Fun to have something from my youth to recall easy days living off Ma and Pa. LOL

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Came upon a Puma Bowie many moons ago that coincidentally was made just a couple months after I was born (I'm an Apollo 11 baby, and this was made in the 4th quarter of 1969). Some blemishes on the blade, but the edge is ehrmahgerd good, and the stag grips have a nice patina and feel better in my hand than any of the newfangled materials. One of my faves.

bowie.jpeg

Last edited:

Ride1949

Hunter
Came upon a Puma Bowie many moons ago that coincidentally was made just a couple months after I was born (I'm an Apollo 11 baby, and this was made in the 4th quarter of 1969). Some blemishes on the blade, but the edge is ehrmahgerd good, and the stag grips have a nice patina and feel better in my hand than any of the newfangled materials. One of my faves.

View attachment 3552
That is nice. Classic.

Last edited:

Mauser9

Blackhawk

View attachment 3552
Nice score! Knife we kids would dream about way back when. Love the old Sambar stag grips. Looks like real quality.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Thanks for sharing. I used to laugh at yard sales years back. Now I feel compelled to stop and have a look. Friend scored a Hitler Youth knife for $15 last year!! Scabbard and all. Love to find any vintage Puma for that amount.