Vietnam War: Facts, Stats & Myths

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Colonialgirl said:
daveg.inkc said:
[="Colonialgirl"]
daveg.inkc said:
[="Colonialgirl"]Walter Cronkite was nothing more than a lying leftist sack of donkey excrement who LIED about the Tet offensive.
I watched Walter Cronkite growing up. You are the only person I ever read that said a bad word about him. You are too funny. Run out of meds?

NOPE; JUST KNOW that he LIED about the Tet Offensive;
Too bad you were so gullible while growing up; I guess you need to read more and something other than propaganda left press.
Don't NEED nor TAKE any meds, must be your affliction.
Reading now, Gulf of Tonkin looks fabricated.[/quote]
I was 11 yrs old. Gullible? No more than you at that age
The "Gulf" was fabricated by none other than LBJ to justify increasing the troops in Vietnam. Guess to what Party he belonged. :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
RonT said:
In my years working in the corporate world I had many refugees from South Vietnam working for me. I found every single one of them to be hard-working, honest people and not "trash" as you describe them. Some were "boat people" that went through hell to escape the communists.

Hi,

Mailman Dan, my postal carrier, was one of those boat people. When he first arrived and got that job, a friend at the PO told me he didn't speak or read English, but had the highest "delivery accuracy" rating in the office. He carefully matched names and numbers on every piece of mail. In contrast, some of the old timers, white guys, could keep the phones ringing all day with complaints about delivery problems.

And a dear friend's family escaped Pol Pot in Cambodia, where she was born, walking across the country to Thailand, 100s of miles, always having to stay hidden from the Communists. Those "killing fields" were quite real. She was about two, and her Mom was pregnant with her sister, who was born in Thailand. Dad won't say a word about what happened over there, while Mom could write a book. Brother was born here, and of the six people mentioned, is the ONLY one who needs a fire lit under him to do some work. He's getting better, though: his girlfriend is of Mexican descent (several generations born here) and her family taught all the kids a work ethic he claims is gonna kill him!

Stereotypes often have a basis in reality, so I'm sure there are a few out there, but I can't think of any Asian or Hispanic folks I know offhand who fit a "trash" profile. Worthless blacks, and even more worthless whites? It's not so hard to come up with a few examples there...

Rick C

Crytot

Single-Sixer
In January of 1974 I enlisted in the Army and was promised I would go to Viet Nam.
I had been watching the news every night and figured (I was young) that I could make a difference over there.
The Army sent me to North Dakota instead. I didn't make a difference in North Dakota either.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYhfjTOj9s8

The interesting BBC Vietnam POW Doc. film "We can keep you forever." A bit dated now but still good.

First saw it in the 80's- A Vietnam fighter F4 driver POW I worked with, gave me a copy. He was sure people were left behind.

There are many POW/MIA fakers and scams but we now know- with near certainty that people were left behind.

You can't buy this on DVD- the clip above is the clearest I have been able to find.

The film needs to be updated and re- released. IMO- much more information on the issue is now known.

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
Both of my two oldest sons served in Vietnam. Both had enlisted before Vietnam, the oldest stationed in Germany and the second station in Ethiopia until each was sent to Vietnam at the beginning of the war.

Each are now retired after their successful careers in civilian life after the Vietnam was ended. Over the years I have heard each of my two sons state comments even worse than those expressed above about Walter Cronkite. I have no direct knowledge but Cronkite is lower than a snake's belly according to both sons.

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
Walter Cronkite`s false comments after TET of 1968, that were broadcasted all around the World and belived mainly because He said them. Contributed greatly to the unneeded deaths of 1000`s of US Military Personnel. Damn Him, Damn His Worthless Soul to Hell, for that. The end of that pathick war was in sight before His ((( False Report ))).
ken

graygun

Hunter
Crytot said:
In January of 1974 I enlisted in the Army and was promised I would go to Viet Nam.
I had been watching the news every night and figured (I was young) that I could make a difference over there.
The Army sent me to North Dakota instead. I didn't make a difference in North Dakota either.

They were pulling units out in '70 (actually '69,I've heard) . We were part of the com spt for the 25th ID and they left in late 1970.

wwb

Hunter
graygun said:
Crytot said:

They were pulling units out in '70 (actually '69,I've heard) . We were part of the com spt for the 25th ID and they left in late 1970.

Not sure when they actually started reducing troop strength, but as graygun said, by '70 they were pulling out fast. Big Red One (1st Infantry Div) left in early '70.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Walter Cronkite was nothing more than a lying leftist sack of donkey excrement who LIED about the Tet offensive.
I remember seeing magazine news items, maybe LIFE or TIME, with walter crankcase partying on a boat with the kennedys.

dannyd

Blackhawk
One very sad fact about Uncle Walter's generation was in December of 1944 there were 18,000 US deserter's in western Europe. Those are numbers from IKE's staff his provost marshall. To bad Uncle Walter don't tell us that while he was playing kick the can with the troops in Vietnam.

Walter, Mike and Dan those are some sad news people and the worst part they raised this bunch that lie's everyday now.

dannyd

Blackhawk
Read Max Hastings book on Vietnam earlier this year; sad very sad.

These books are good and sometimes funny.
Baptism by Larry Gwin
Things I'll never forget by James Dixon

If your Navy this is a great book "Bloody Sixteen" by Peter Fey
Has couple of guys I worked for in it and they never told anyone about it.

I have the greatest respect for anyone who went to Vietnam especially the draftees.

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
Lady Bird Johnson, was building a loading dock in the DaNang harbour, when I was stationed at Camp Ten Sha, DaNang! Overloadded

Chief 101

Hunter
I printed this info out about 20 years ago so some of the info may have been updated. The item that struck me as bizarre is the number of wannabe soldiers that claim to have had their boots on the ground there that didn't actually, and I assume by watching the action on their tele's made them feel like they were there...dunno

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I printed this info out about 20 years ago so some of the info may have been updated. The item that struck me as bizarre is the number of wannabe soldiers that claim to have had their boots on the ground there that didn't actually, and I assume by watching the action on their tele's made them feel like they were there...dunno
Many troops went in and out of Nam up till the very end. Many had "advisory" type positions, others were working more sensitive issue, trying to resolve them before the end came etc. In addition, there were many 'foreign" troops on the ground that people seem to have no knowledge of I worked with Anzacs(aussie, brits, new zealand), Korean Marines, even Danish troops. I was a "liason" officer(usmc). Everyone I talk to tells me they were Mac SOG, LRRPS, Spec Forces etc, LOL, please, no one ever tells you they were the clerk typist in HQ!

Chief 101

Hunter
Those were counted as in country it's the 13million Americans in the 1990(I think)census that claimed to have been in country when the total number was much smaller. I don't have time to go look at the number right now but I can tell you I know a few non vets that claim to be...

hittman

Staff member
no one ever tells you they were the clerk typist in HQ!
I wasn’t no clerk typist there. Heck I wasn’t born until 1959.
My Uncle Mike was there in 68-69 I think. USAF and part of a “civil engineering squad”. Hope I’m remembering that right. I know he quit college to join and was majoring in drafting / architecture.
He was a Staff Sgt. when he got out.
He didn’t talk about his time there hardly at all.
I remember getting up once in the wee morning hours and talking to him by phone. I thought that was the neatest thing actually speaking with someone on the other side of the world.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
there is a difference from being "in country" and being in serious combat. I was in country but never engaged in what i would call 'full on combat" No night patrols, no firebase sieges, no ambush setups, only sporadic fire when investigating a village for intel etc.and that was only a few times. So, I am on of those that was "there" but never really faced Serious combat. Know what, I never missed it! I had no desire or need to prove anything and dead is dead, regardless of how or when it happens.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I wasn’t no clerk typist there. Heck I wasn’t born until 1959.
My Uncle Mike was there in 68-69 I think. USAF and part of a “civil engineering squad”. Hope I’m remembering that right. I know he quit college to join and was majoring in drafting / architecture.
He was a Staff Sgt. when he got out.
He didn’t talk about his time there hardly at all.
I remember getting up once in the wee morning hours and talking to him by phone. I thought that was the neatest thing actually speaking with someone on the other side of the world.
Churchill was quoted as saying, "They also serve who stand and wait". For every man in the field it takes 9 others behind the scenes to keep him there.