Veteran salute to the flag:

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
I keep watching at sports events to see if any vets are saluting the flag during the National Anthem. I don't see any. Wonder why?

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1609

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
I always salute the flag on the listed occasions plus the new one about the National Anthem. I did it for ALL those years I was reffing High School Soccer too.

gvan

Bearcat
Many vets are not aware they are privileged to render hand salute for National Anthem, raising of the flag or to salute as the flag passes in a parade. Veteran organizations render a hand salute for the Pledge of Allegiance although it is not acknowledged in the Courtesy of the Flag web site.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
The VFW meetings I attend always salute during the Pledge. To me it's an honor that I earned and I wonder if others are even aware.

contender

Ruger Guru
I salute and when I have at some events,,, I've gotten some odd looks. Screw them if they don't understand.
BTW; I don't go to sporting events.

When we go to the Single A short season games here I render the hand salute when they play the National Anthem. One person asked me why I did that and I just turned around and pointed to my USAF Retired hat. He then asked if he were a veteran if he could do that and I answered that he most certainly could.

On the very rare occasion that we go to the movies, I still expect the National Anthem to be played before the movie (if you were in the military and went to the base/post/station movie theater, you know what I'm talking about :D

sfhogman

Buckeye
According to the laws passed in 2007 and 2008 a veteran is entitled to salute. One need not have served during time of war.

graygun

Hunter
I don't salute but it's not an issue to me. No one knows what's in the mind or heart of another.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
I typically don't notice anyone saluting, maybe because I'm doing a slow burn on the clowns wearing their ball caps and grab-assing.
Those of you that can salute (I can't), thank you.

737tdi

Hunter
I have never saluted. I put my hand over my heart and listen. In my opinion it is what a person feels compelled to do. If I was in uniform years ago I always saluted. Not saying what is wrong or right at all.

Semper Fi:

Karl

blume357

Hawkeye
Learn something new every day, thanks. Not quite sure I agree with the 'new' legislation and the reason behind it.... hand over heart is just as good a salute it seems to me.

Cooperhawk

Buckeye
Just my opinion but I think it was meant to give those who have served the honor of saluting to distinguish themselves from those who have not served. It is not required at all, just available if a vet chooses to do so.

I do.

I do it to help honor all the dead that I have seen on the battlefield.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
sfhogman said:
According to the laws passed in 2007 and 2008 a veteran is entitled to salute. One need not have served during time of war.

The first amendment recognizes my Right to salute, or not. In defense of my Rights, no lesser legislation is relevant nor enforceable.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
The first amendment recognizes my Right to salute, or not. In defense of my Rights, no lesser legislation is relevant nor enforceable.

Hi,

Please 'splain, Sam. I'm not quite sure the first cup of coffee has kicked in...

Rick C

volshooter

Buckeye
I always watch for folks saluting. I always figured they were active or ex-military and made note of them. If I run into them I thank them for their service. I feel only those who have served have the honor of saluting.

Latest posts