"Vet, vet, vet"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JFB

Hunter
I am not talking about the short term used to refer to former military, or an animal doctor or a Chevy supercar.

I had never heard or used 'vet' to mean investage, but I don't think you can listen to 5 minutes of a NEWS channel with out someone using 'vet' over and over.

Is it just I wasn't hearing it in the past or is 'vet' the new most popular word?

JFB

Hunter
I hear it all the time

"the media is vetting Carson's boyhood"
"they should vet baggage handlers"
"no one is vetting the Syrian mass imigrants"

I swear I hear one reporter use 'vet' four times in one sentence!

tinman

Buckeye
JFB said:
I hear it all the time

"the media is vetting Carson's boyhood"
"they should vet baggage handlers"
"no one is vetting the Syrian mass imigrants"

I swear I hear one reporter use 'vet' four times in one sentence!

I'm pretty sure that it was not in the lexicon until after 2008........... :roll:

toysoldier

Hunter
A quick web search shows that "vet" as a verb has been in use since the end of the 19th century. Originally referring to having a race-horse checked before a race by a veterinarian, it first appeared in print in 1891 (per Merriam-Webster). It came to be applied to the process of checking out anything or anyone.

Chief 101

Hunter
toysoldier said:
A quick web search shows that "vet" as a verb has been in use since the end of the 19th century. Originally referring to having a race-horse checked before a race by a veterinarian, it first appeared in print in 1891 (per Merriam-Webster). It came to be applied to the process of checking out anything or anyone.
that is called a 'vet check'

Latest posts