Vet Bills

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ride1949

Blackhawk
We just found out our dog has invasive lipoma in her right hip. The hip is twice the size of the other one. Basically, it's fat that has fused into the muscle and can't be removed. She doesn't seem to be in pain (yet) and it doesn't interfere with her walking, but the vet said it will have to be amputated. She said she's seen it take up to two years before it's that bad, but it grew very fast already. I dread that day, our pooch LOVES to run.
We already spent $600 for tests and a ultrasound, but we do have insurance through Healthy Paws.
:confused::cry:

Ride1949

Blackhawk
I was at the vet again yesterday I was told my pup on the left has close to $10,000 in leg/foot operations I have never spent over $1000 on a dog before putting it down...

This time is different we will be putting out the monies to keep our girl going.

Good looking group there.

harley08

Single-Sixer
Value your pets while you have them. They are part of the family and depend on you for their upkeeping and friendship. If you can't do what's reasonable to care for your pet, your shouldn't have one. Just go outside and watch the birds and the squirrels, they can get along without you.
I just lost my lapdog a couple of weeks ago and yep I have vet bills I paid, gladly pay them twice if he was still here.
So sorry to hear about your lapdog. I love mine. I hope you adopt another sweet lapdog!

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
So sorry to hear about your lapdog. I love mine. I hope you adopt another sweet lapdog!
I understand completely. My wife and I lost our Lab last year and still have our little guy "Riley" who has kidney issues. We also spent money for operations etc. You can not replace the love these animals share with you.(IMHO) Sorry for your loss.

Attachments

• 20200118_171051.jpg
    20200118_171051.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210812_181840.jpg
    20210812_181840.jpg
    792.6 KB · Views: 23
I have had Shelties, Kuvasz, Great Pyrenees, Malamute crosses, and now a Jack Russell. All were what we needed at the time. I do most of my own veterinary work. Like the time my Kuvasz Rosie O'Donnell got a hematoma of her ear. I placed a small catheter in the ear to let it drain and heal. My Jack Russell wakes me up if my blood sugar is too high or too low, also if my sleep apnea is a problem. She is such a good companion dog. She got pyometria after her last heat cycle, resulting in an emergent hysterectomy, antibiotics. $1783! Thank God my Credit Card covered it. All the past dogs have places in my heart permanently too.
gramps

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Jim:
We lost our oldest two a little over a year apart. They were both 13 yrs old. Both had chronic health problems since they were pups. I have no regrets for the vet bills. It's been over ten years and I still miss them every day.
I've posted this before, but it holds a special place in my heart.
View attachment 3062

Our Jessie Girl had been DUMPED in front of our place in 2009 and she was just under 6 months old; She was OUR dog for years , then when she was 9 years old, I lost my spouse Ashley; Jessie Girl was a blessing giving me comfort. Then she began to NOT want to go for long walks and her urine had a slight reddish tinge, the Xray at the vets showed bladder stones and said for $600 they could operate, remove the stones and recover would be about a week; The morning of the operation , they called, NOT just bladder stones but numerous tumors on the interior walls of the bladder and on the muscles in abdomen; It would be a long operation , a long painful recovery and they probably could not remove them all. So i let them whisper in her ear that "I LOVED HER and would see her at the Rainbow bridge" and then put her to sleep. I lasted about 2 months went to the local Humane Society shelter and looked at the available dogs for adoption three trips up the aisle between the cages, all jumping around etc EXCEPT ONE laying at the front of his cage head on his paws watching me walk by; I finally stopped and said "Let me walk THAT ONE", I am at least his third owner ( and suspect it's really the 4th); But I told him I am his LAST owner and that I am his forever. His name is DUKE and some friends have decided he is part Aussie sheep dog and Spaniel ( I think Water Spaniel he loves to swim). He is great company. There will be a crowd at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for me; Mister Doggy my 21 year old Dachs, Barkley Dog and Jessie Girl. I look forward to the reunion.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Our Jessie Girl had been DUMPED in front of our place in 2009 and she was just under 6 months old; She was OUR dog for years , then when she was 9 years old, I lost my spouse Ashley; Jessie Girl was a blessing giving me comfort. Then she began to NOT want to go for long walks and her urine had a slight reddish tinge, the Xray at the vets showed bladder stones and said for $600 they could operate, remove the stones and recover would be about a week; The morning of the operation , they called, NOT just bladder stones but numerous tumors on the interior walls of the bladder and on the muscles in abdomen; It would be a long operation , a long painful recovery and they probably could not remove them all. So i let them whisper in her ear that "I LOVED HER and would see her at the Rainbow bridge" and then put her to sleep. I lasted about 2 months went to the local Humane Society shelter and looked at the available dogs for adoption three trips up the aisle between the cages, all jumping around etc EXCEPT ONE laying at the front of his cage head on his paws watching me walk by; I finally stopped and said "Let me walk THAT ONE", I am at least his third owner ( and suspect it's really the 4th); But I told him I am his LAST owner and that I am his forever. His name is DUKE and some friends have decided he is part Aussie sheep dog and Spaniel ( I think Water Spaniel he loves to swim). He is great company. There will be a crowd at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for me; Mister Doggy my 21 year old Dachs, Barkley Dog and Jessie Girl. I look forward to the reunion.
Yes, we can only hope that it works out that way. I would want to see my BooBoo & Riley too.

mishtub

Blackhawk
The price you pay

There's a high price for owning a dog. It's not just the cost monetarily. There is the time and lost sleep too. Getting up to a whining dog at two in the morning, when it's raining or snowing or the wind is howling, is no fun. You stumble out like a zombie and get the little lad or lass and make it to the door. You stand out there, eyes drooping, as the little critter sniffs and scampers here and there. You wonder if the poo or pee will ever come. Finally, the job done, you scoop the little one up and hurry to the house. You're aggravated, but when that little tongue brushes your hand or chin, all is forgiven.
Through it all the money flows. Food, vet bills, shots, tags, equipment, toys, more food. But it doesn't matter. They've lain with you in the dark when you couldn't sleep. They've become your best friend.
Then comes that day. The day that you've dreaded ever since you picked them up. The day when you carry the now grown dog into the office and the news isn't good. Your friend can't go no more and it's time to end the suffering.
The veterinarian makes ready his elixirs as you lean down over your beloved and strum their ears with soft coos. Tears drip. The shots are given and the deal is done. There's no turning back now, and your buddy sinks away; pain subsiding. Your heart feels like it's being torn and your fingers dig into that dense fur. You bawl like a baby as your best friend leaves this world.
Then the reckoning. The price paid wasn't in money or time or travel. The true price paid is far worse than any of that. It was the day you looked into those little eyes and your heart melted. It was in all the cuddles and pets and scolding. It was what you knew on the day that you brought your little dream boat home. It was the day you had to let go of that dear soul that made you so happy for so long. The day when your heart would break for a dog.

That is the price you pay.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
The price you pay

There's a high price for owning a dog. It's not just the cost monetarily. There is the time and lost sleep too. Getting up to a whining dog at two in the morning, when it's raining or snowing or the wind is howling, is no fun. You stumble out like a zombie and get the little lad or lass and make it to the door. You stand out there, eyes drooping, as the little critter sniffs and scampers here and there. You wonder if the poo or pee will ever come. Finally, the job done, you scoop the little one up and hurry to the house. You're aggravated, but when that little tongue brushes your hand or chin, all is forgiven.
Through it all the money flows. Food, vet bills, shots, tags, equipment, toys, more food. But it doesn't matter. They've lain with you in the dark when you couldn't sleep. They've become your best friend.
Then comes that day. The day that you've dreaded ever since you picked them up. The day when you carry the now grown dog into the office and the news isn't good. Your friend can't go no more and it's time to end the suffering.
The veterinarian makes ready his elixirs as you lean down over your beloved and strum their ears with soft coos. Tears drip. The shots are given and the deal is done. There's no turning back now, and your buddy sinks away; pain subsiding. Your heart feels like it's being torn and your fingers dig into that dense fur. You bawl like a baby as your best friend leaves this world.
Then the reckoning. The price paid wasn't in money or time or travel. The true price paid is far worse than any of that. It was the day you looked into those little eyes and your heart melted. It was in all the cuddles and pets and scolding. It was what you knew on the day that you brought your little dream boat home. It was the day you had to let go of that dear soul that made you so happy for so long. The day when your heart would break for a dog.

That is the price you pay.

Well said and ON the money !

Latest posts