"Very Lucky to Be Alive!"......Thanx to his Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WingMaster

Bearcat
Did it say where he hit the bear? I missed that detail if it was in there. Lucky to say the least!

I'd say the dog was 50 yards down the road for a good reason!

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I would have done more than "perfumed" my shorts..........Been so full I culdna run! :shock: :shock:

D R Greysun

Bearcat
WingMaster":12trtn6u said:
Did it say where he hit the bear?

I did not read where it was mentioned. Considering the beast was on all four and closing fast one could 'assume' shoulders and or head. Most likely one round found it's way to the brain stem or spinal cord. 350 grain solids will make big holes but not do much tissue damage. Pretty obvious a lung/s were hit as well.

D R

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
That would be one scary mama comin' for ya at close range. Sort of a miracle, I think, that he stopped it in time, shootin' from the hip.
Sonnytoo

chet15

Hawkeye
That one needs forwarded to the folks at Ruger. Would mean more sales of their Super Redhawk Alaskan!
Chet15

americal

Hunter
YEP :!: great photo for their catalog 8) 8) life and death situations usually happen FAST :shock: I would most certainly send photo to RUGER :!: :!: :!: I would think it would surly show up in Ruger ad.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
We always hear lots of comment that a handgun is pretty much useless against a charging bear. I guess this shows otherwise, although as the shooter states, he got lucky with his shot placement. He would, however, have needed to be a lot luckier if he hadn't been carrying his Alaskan.

Exciting story, thanks for posting.

P.S. I don't blame the dog for running home, he didn't even have pepper spray.

BlueMax_VMF114

Bearcat
Wow,what a story.glad i know now that My Alaskan has passed the field trials.what an ugly looking bear,must have been sick

grey_beard

Bearcat
He turned around to see the bear in full attack from 20 yards.
A charging bear could cover 20 yards and be on him in 1-2 seconds...

This guy must be Wyatt Earp, Harry Callahan and Elmer Keith all rolled into one.

-Greybeard

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I am not sure if Elmer Keiths 600 yard shot or this story is more believable....not saying untrue but hard to believe word for word.

sixshot

Buckeye
My feeling is, its very hard to accurately describe what happens in a case like this, the most important thing is, the guy survived, if it was 1 second or 5, 20 yds or 40 yds, it all runs together. There are lots of cases where several eye witnesses see something happen & everyone gives a different account, time can stand still or it can triple the actual time to the person involved. I don't see where it really matters, thats how "he" saw it unfolding & he survived. I don't think for a second that the guy is adding anthing to the story, to him thats how it played out, the bears dead, he's alive & deserves our congratulations.

Dick

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I don't have a 'dog in this fight' but....my #2 son, a Marine MP, said that in training down at Ft McClellan eight or ten years ago his training DI showed them what reaction time REALLy was.

The trainees were holstered (and unloaded too) with their M-9's and asked to face an instructor with a rubber knife. On command, with the trainees fully expecting an attack, the knife guy would charge them and try to get in a killing blow before he was shot. The MIMIMUM distance, with a holstered 9mm M-9 to get off a shot, was 21 feet. And that was the best of the lot. 21 feet...inside that distance, the "attacker" always got in a killing blow.

The M-9, with a round up the spout, and 12 or 13 in the mag; and double action for the first shot, could not 'stop' the attacker inside 21 feet. And...these were trained Marines, who'd been shooting literally hundreds of rounds over the period of their training. Kinda makes you think, eh Komrad.

That Alaskan guy was one he-- of a draw and shoot artist, or maybe had a slow bear, if it went down as the article said.

No disrespect for any and all in the above statements. Just wondering....

Regards, Rodfac

sixshot":4lmyujrv said:
My feeling is, its very hard to accurately describe what happens in a case like this, the most important thing is, the guy survived, if it was 1 second or 5, 20 yds or 40 yds, it all runs together. There are lots of cases where several eye witnesses see something happen & everyone gives a different account, time can stand still or it can triple the actual time to the person involved. I don't see where it really matters, thats how "he" saw it unfolding & he survived. I don't think for a second that the guy is adding anthing to the story, to him thats how it played out, the bears dead, he's alive & deserves our congratulations.

Dick

I agree the story was obviously under the influence of a MAJOR Adrenalain dump. During an incident like that time changes, perception changes, auditory exclusion comes in hard to say exactly what happened. Regardless he was charged by a bear. Responded appropriately and survived with a handgun. TO ME that's the point of the story. Good on him.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Boy, I spent 3 days in Soldatna last summer in our trailer and walking the dog several times a day. I would have been even more nervous if I had read this story then. And since I came up through Canada, no gun. I kept a sharp eye out, but I guess all that would do is let you see the bear coming. Wonderful place. Had a great days rainbow fishing. Good fishing. Maybe he had the gun in his hand or his hand on the gun? I know I would have. We did have a grizzly in the campground in Hyder.

Latest posts