Very happy first time gun owner (SR40c) (long post)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Hi all, I just wanted to share my experience with my first gun buy in my life and how the SR40c has preformed for me so far from a complete newbies perspective.

The first thing I did when I got it home was clean it thoroughly and apply oil thanks to some really good Youtube tutorials. My challenge was learning how to load the clip. Its funny looking back now, but I could not load them being new mags by hand. After some clunking around with the auto loader and finally figured out how to get the snap caps in. Once I got a feel for the basic functioning of the pistol it was time to go to the range.

This was actually an intimidating experience. I had zero firearms time under my belt and as I approached the counter I noticed a few grizzled looking fellows talking to the range employee who they where apparently friends with. "Hope they don't ask me any firearms questions." I thought as I approached, not wanting to make a complete fool of myself with my lack of knowledge. I decided not to bring up that it was my first trip in, wanting to blend in and just get to my lane to start learning.

Well I'm sure they picked me out from a mile away, right away as being new because after signing off on the range rules he called another employee to take me to my lane and gave me instruction on how to function the range controls, lights downrange ect. Might have been my fumbeling with my ear protection at the counter that gave me away. I have the fold up over the ear type, and being new they where hard to get down into place. :D

I bought 4 targets at the counter. 3 of the 25 yard bullseye type, and one silhouette. Welp time to see what this baby can do. I unlocked my pistol from the case hung my target and sent it to the first red line on the floor. I won't lie, it may not be macho of me but at this point i was scared to death of the pistol. Was it going to fly out of my hand? Was I going to hit the guys target 2 lanes down? I had no idea. Just then, someone to my left opened fire and i flinched from the sound of the shot just as I was about to pull the trigger. I reset to the low ready pointing downrange and by the 3rd or 4th shot next to me I was no longer flinching from the noise. It didn't take long to ignore it but I did need a moment.

I'm not sure of the range of the first red line, but it was very close, 5 yards? I raised my sights put my finger on the trigger and fired. Wow! I hit it that was my first shock, the second was it was dead center. My first mag was the 15 rounder. Here is the target I used. I pulled it back and was smiling from ear to ear.

SprintPhoto_e4ecif.jpg

After the second clip I'd say my fear of the gun, was gone and my confidence was way up. It worked, it wasn't going to fly out of my hand, and I can at least, put the bullets about where I'm intending without anything wild happening. Still had a bit of a flinch and I noticed I was even taking my eye off the target anticipating the recoil before I even pulled the trigger.

The second target I moved out to the third red line I'd guess near 20-25 yards. I was still on the target but my shots where all over it, high, low, left, right, you name it. "Okay no shocker there" I thought. I'm not good at long range shooting yet and didn't expect to be. At this point I ditched the effort to hit targets that far out.

My last target I used the silhouette. I moved it out between the third and second red line on the floor. Alot closer then the previous. This is the one I think I was most proud of. By this time I'm actually looking forward to getting the mags loaded and firing the gun, I'm having fun now and the shots from other lanes are not bugging me at all. I put a few mags into this target and pull it back. This gun is amazing, even with my very poor skill I was able to get all but 2 rounds on target. I even tried some head shots for fun. This is that target.

SprintPhoto_d4ecif.jpg

Alright! I thought to myself lets do another! then I looked down at my bench to find only empty ammo boxes. How did 150 rounds of ammo vanish so quickly? It seemed like so much lugging it to the range.

Overall I really love this pistol. I had no failures whatsoever, it preformed well and beyond my expectations. In the hands of someone who knows how to maximize its potential I can only imagine what may be possible accuracy wise. After I stored my pistol, cleaned up my lane and swept my brass I folded my targets and walked back out to the counter. The range officer asked how it was. I told him great and proudly presented a few of my targets. He kinda smirked and said nice shooting. I know it was probably on the bad side but it was nice of him to humor me.

I can't wait to go back and fire it again. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to pass along that I really enjoy shooting this pistol.

Meditator

Bearcat
Good shooting for a newbie! -not to mention using .40 cal compact pistol. Now I will definitely get a SR40C, as soon as I can find a used one at a good price.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Thanks guys, I've installed Hogue rubber grips on the pistol tonight and the feel went from great to even greater. I have not shot the pistol with these new grips yet but I plan to go in the morning if I can get in before work.

I noticed after the session I posted about the "web" part of my right hand between my thumb and first finger was extremely sore, and even became swollen the day after. Its fine now, I attributed this to poor grip. I should note I wasn't doing any kind of stance as I was shooting. No isosceles or Weaver stance. I was using a two hand grip with my weak hand folded over my strong hand.

My form was pretty horrible, or more to the point I had no form really.

The next trip out this is the stance I thought I'd to try to emulate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR3L0fcEzfk

exavid

Hunter
Grip matters. I fire my SR40c with the flat floor plate comfortably. I usually shoot a 50 round box per visit to the range and don't have any problem with that.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum, newbie!

I went through the whole newbie anxiety thing at the range myself a year and a half ago, seems like ages now. I just didn't want to look like too much of an idiot and didn't want to make any HUGE gaffes. It's all gotten to be old hat by now, many many range trips under my belt.

Keep up the good work, and again, welcome to the forum!

Viking Queen

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome to RF! That's some great shooting for a first timer!!

As for the sore web of your hand, it's probably the grip, like you think. Finding a grip that both is comfortable and works for you (read, is accurate!) isn't always easy, but for a new shooter, learning it early is great. It'll help you get a better grip and train yourself when you get back out next time. It can also be the fact that the .40 S&W can be snappy to some and the slightly shorter grip frame helps beat you up a bit too. My LC9 can do that when I shoot it a lot on a range trip.

Thanks for the good read, and enjoy that 40c!!

Josh

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Thanks for the warm welcome all and tips Mediator, Exavid, Viking, and Jhearne! I went again to the range today and put 130 rounds through it. I'm very sorry to say I discovered a possible problem.

I say possible problem because this being my first firearm I'm not sure if what its doing is supposed to be happening or not. I'll explain, ever since I got the SR40 the 15 round mag required a solid tap to seat the mag. The 9 rounder does not, in fact I can easily push it into place with my fingers until I get the "snap" and its ready to go. Here is my issue I'll try to explain exactly whats happening.

I load the first magazine with the safety on and the slide forward. Give it a solid rack and the round chambers beautifully, in fact its never failed. I empty my first 9 round mag. The slide locks back, I turn the gun to the side hit the mag release and pull out the empty mag.

Here is where the problem occurs, with the slide racked in the backwards position still, I insert the 15 round guide it in by hand and smack the mag to seat it, there is really no other way to get it in. At the same instance the palm of my hand hits the bottom of the mag the slide unlocks by itself traveling forward and chambering a live round. This was disconcerting to me. Because while i was pointed downrange its very difficult to hold a safe direction while smacking a mag in. Yes it was downrange but through the motion im sure it was at some point pointing towards another lane 3 lanes down or up at the ceiling.

I don't want to have a weapon that is unsafe on the range and I'm kinda worried about this but I don't know if this is by design or not. If so GREAT I can stop worrying about it and train around it. Or simply ride the slide forward after I empty the mag before I insert a new one.

So my question to you all is simply. Is this thing supposed to do that? Thanks for any help, I'm a bit heartbroken thinking there's something wrong with it. I love this thing lol.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Update: I loaded 5 snap caps into the pistol tonight and I can reproduce the problem every single time I load the 15 round mag with the slide back. The tap on the bottom of the mag sends the slide forward each time, chambering a round. I'm sure I'm not touching the slide stop at any time.

Problem happens with the smaller 9 round mag if i bang it hard enough. I just never discovered that the 9 rounder does it as well because it snaps in with ease and a hard tap isn't needed to seat it.

jhearne

Buckeye
I'm almost positive the sleeve isn't fitting the gap properly. Between the bottom of the grip frame and the actual base plate of the mag the sleeve should fit with just a little bit of slack. It should provide an adequate grip, but be free fitting enough to easily seat the full sized mags.

To see if it's actually the sleeve's fault, try seating the mag with the sleeve at home (empty mag of course - or with snap caps) then remove the sleeve and see if there's an issue. If it seats easily with the sleeve off, then there's your problem. Sleeve fits a little big in the gap. You can call Ruger and they'll fix it. They'll likely want the gun sent in to ensure a good fit for the mag, but you can just order a new sleeve and hope it fits a little better.

Personally, I'd just ensure that it's the sleeve being a little too tall or not fitting properly. Then I'd take and try and see where it's not fitting right. Then take my time and fix it. Removing a little bit of the plastic shaving it down until it seats like the 9 rounder....easily. A dremel tool would be best especially if you have a way to secure the sleeve in a small (soft jawed) vise.

DIY and you get the satisfaction of saving some time (hopefully) as Ruger can have up to a 2 week wait to get your gun back. A week is normal though. You also get to take some time to learn more about the gun and see how somethings work with eachother. I find DIY to be rewarding as long as I'm confident enough in my own abilities to do the job at hand.

Josh

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Jhearne I owe you a beer or three! That was exactly what the problem was. Removed that plastic piece and it snapped in nice and easy. I even was able to get the snap with one finger! Thank you so much for taking the time to post that fix. I was just sick about it to be honest thinking I'd have to send it back then wait, and wait.

I feel a little bad for beating the hell out of it all day today seating mags but it appears no harm was done. :D

I'm going to do like you said and shave that troublesome piece down myself. I don't own a Dremel but I'm about to go sifting through my garage for something that may do almost as well.

What a relief thanks again.

jhearne

Buckeye
No problem, but I prefer Jack Daniel's :)

Just be sure and take your time so you don't remove too much out of the sleeve.

If you do and need another one, they're only $8.

Good luck!

Josh

MESSY

Bearcat
Excellent post and excellent shooting in my opinion. I'm pretty much a beginner like yourself so I can closely relate to your story. I'm running a 9c and my results have been fairly similar. These guns seem to be great shooters.

I'd mainly like to add to your magazine discovery. The 17 round mag on my 9c acts in a similar fashion. While it doesn't cause any slide release issues, it is slightly more difficult to seat. The grip spacer IS the issue, but it seems to actually be instigated by a slight distortion of the baseplate. Trimming/filing the spacer will correct the issue although IMO Ruger should use a slightly more rigid baseplate.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Messy I spent some time with a razor blade and took the mag in and out several times trying to see where the hang up was. I ended up taking about 2 millimeters of material off the back of that grip spacer. Its as if when in the mold more material stayed in that location while the rest looks like it went to spec. I also noted it was visibly uneven. I'll snap a quick pic with my cell to show the exact area in question. I didn't trim any other part of it and it seemed to fix the problem.

Magspacer.jpg

Its the rounded hump in the back my index is on that was my problem.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Well, for a complete NOOB I guess that's a decent target ;). Heh. Pretty soon you'll be shooting perfect smiley faces while holding the gun backward over your shoulder, a mirror in the other hand and blasting lit firecrackers out of the air while keeping a hackey sack airborne. Just please don't do it at my range ;).

Seriously, nice shooting for the first time and what you experienced there is exactly to be expected in terms of the initial trepidation. It's good to have a lot of healthy respect and even a little fear at first -- it shows you understand that it's not a staple gun and definitely not a toy. Just remember all your Commandments of gun safety, and practice them faithfully, and practice your shooting often.

Also it is to be expected that you have a little "tenderfoot" soreness, 'specially with a compact .40. Most people don't think of it as a beginner's gun and you acquitted yourself very well. It's also another confirmation of what I've found and many others have reported: the SR series are sweet-shooting guns with relatively mild recoil characteristics for their caliber(s). Lots of people buy a .40 caliber handgun as their first pistol, shoot 10 rounds through it, say: "Ouch! No way!" and take it back.

Glad you got your minor glitch taken care of. There are always little issues, but with beginning targets like that and JHs help you've got nothing to worry about. When I bought my SR9 I felt much the same way you did. It was my second pistol purchase in a span of a month, and even though I'd shot lots of rifles before, at the time it was 20+ years behind me. Shooting pistols and/or owning a new firearm after 20+ years is just like starting over. Hadn't been to a gun store or a range in decades, etc., etc. It all comes back pretty quickly, though. Josh's sticky threads here at Rugerforum helped my confidence a lot because I knew if I could take it apart and put it back together successfully I'd be OK.

Welcome to the family! It's a fun and mostly functional family :lol: and there's a lot of knowledge and wisdom here at RF.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Thanks for the kind words NixieTube and the encouragement. Means the world when trying something! I'll start working on that mirror trick, but I'm printing out this thread to hand to the angry RO when he comes to boot me out! Expect phone calls! lol

I read a lot about shooting before taking the plunge and I have heard its a very perishable skill that has to be kept to a at an average level to retain. This is unusual for me in that most of the things I've done once ya learn it, you pretty much have it down.

I'll hunt down Josh's stickies as well, I haven't spent too much time sorting the forum out yet.

Its neat having a Ruger because when I see a guy on the range I always think "hello brother"! Not sure I'd feel that way if I had a glock or S&W. Its a little bit rare but that may change because of how many LC9's and SR's seem to be selling. I do see LOTS of Glock's there. Pretty much every time I go. None seem very interested in my SR but that's okay. lol

NixieTube

Blackhawk
You're welcome. Have fun and be safe. In my experience it's a skill that you have to maintain. No two people's baseline aptitude is exactly the same, some people have a little bit of a head start, but shooting well is a complex blend of muscle control, thought process, technique, concentration and also the psychology of not flinching, etc. Even people who maintain their skills can develop a flinch or another bad habit when switching to another gun. The basics stay with you, but the mindset and other things have to be maintained. For most of us it is defintely a hard-learned skill and when you spend a long time away from it, you can expect to be "rusty" for a while.

When I shot in competition (this is back in high school - we were state champs several years running and national postal match champs one year) we went to great lengths to maintain those skills and mindset, even from week to week. We used to break up into groups and actually meditate together to bring our heart rates down and get "in the zone" by visualizing and mentally rehearsing the target while trying to be as relaxed as possible. We were Zen with gunpowder. 8) We also had extensive post-range sessions where we'd discuss our targets in the context of the day's shooting together. It was a team effort to try and get everyone discussing what, exactly, they were doing. Great times.

I have every reason to think that's why we won a lot more often than we lost, as much as any other single factor. If you came to our range before a match sometimes it looked a little like a New Age encounter session - with competition rifles all over the place. Almost all of us had routines we kept in terms of our gear and our setup before we got down on the line. (Don't Touch My Sling, Man! :lol:) Surprisingly small things can throw it off when you're target shooting at a high level - a muscle spasm, a breakfast that didn't agree with you, worrying about something that detracts from your concentration, etc.

You don't have to take it to extremes but you do have to practice to maintain your skill level once you've reached the plateau of your ability. I know I will probably never again shoot a rifle as well as I did for about 5 months in the middle of my Junior year in high school. I can get close to that plateau now, but that was the high point of my ability - I shot a string of 100 10X targets during that period of time and it just seemed so easy, like I knew where the rounds were going before the gun went off. I broke the string with a 2 point miss to 8 o'clock for a 98 9X target and I knew before I even looked through the scope that I had just ended the best string of targets I would ever fire in my life in that kind of competition. Alas, such is life. But I still enjoy trying to repeat that! :lol:

So enjoy yourself and practice. Josh's stickies are at the top of the Semiauto forum.

Postscript: High school competition shooting is a great sport and it's open to young men and women. It teaches a lot of valuable lessons: serious responsibility, mutual concern, attention to detail, shared respect, individual excellence, constant learning and improvement, critical thinking, and lots of other things that serve people very well throughout their entire lives. Our team was the only gender-integrated Varsity sport at the school and during my three years (including one as Captain) the worst injury we had was a sprained ankle. And no, it didn't make the "girls into boys" or the "boys into girls", either. Trust me. :) We just shot a lot of great targets together.

The Key Club and the Math Team had worse injuries than we did, not to speak of the football team. ;) I made several lifetime friends, and when I wasn't shooting I got a lot of homework done at the range. It's TRULY sad that we have so many schools and jurisdictions in this country who really won't countenance it because of, well, prejudice.