VERY EARLY RUGER SINGLE SIX FLAT GATE #93

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Buckeye
Well actually I know about the star guns from '75. I've done a lot of reading on those. That started from my 2 arrow or house guns from 1986. 🙂

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
Oh my God, I'm afraid to ask about those! 🙂🙂
All the answers to the questions you have asked and the knowledge you seek is in RENE.
Where it helped me the most in the beginning of my education,( and I am FAR from finished!) was with the jargon or language used in the Ruger collecting world.
Plus the model designations....KP94??? BKH34?!?!??? the keys to the letter system at the beginning of the info for each model is worth the price of admission alone.
Do yourself a favor and subscribe.

Cheers
JAYDAWG

Star43

Buckeye
My brother-in-law has a KP94. And I know of BKH34.....yes, there are quite a few prefix configurations.... All Ruger,and all Good. 👍

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Regarding those off-brands, like S&W...

I have a two-digit S&W and wondered what premium would be attached for that. So, I asked on smith-wessonforum and was told that S&W collectors do not put the kind of emphasis on serial numbers that Ruger collectors do. So they said there would be no premium. Then I was asked how I could tell it was a 2-digit number since S&W numbers did not start with 1 for each model like Rugers did. That's when I explained that it is a more recent (like 1970's) special edition gun with a unique letter prefix (in fact, it is the Texas Rangers model 19 that came with a S&W bowie knife, both in a wood presentation case and those guns used a TR prefix, so the SN is TRxx). With that info out, I was told that it really made no difference because, like Rugers, the commemorative editions do not have much collector following, and guns that new don't get much respect anyway.

Star43

Buckeye
So you have a special edition gun in a wooden presentation case with their special TR prefix and only 2 digits......from the 70's, right when the model 19 was their state of the art popular gun, and they say it doesn't deserve much respect ?? My question now is if deserves no respect now 50 years later after it was made......why did they even make it in the first place ??? Yeah, that sure sounds like an off-brand to me too......

Star43

Buckeye
You know, maybe it's just me, but "Ruger" sounds better and better to me every single day. Just saying....I was born and raised in Mass. and I know where Springfield is and I have no S/W's.

Star43

Buckeye
Oh I know. I still have relatives there.....They finally moved out of Taxachusetts. There had been rumblings for quite a while because of their history there....But the business sense was to move the gun friendly state....To me it is very sad. I have no S/W's because they have always had their "better than you" attitude....but out of respect to the past and the history, it is sad. Think of all the gun manufacturers that started in MA. and Were there, and look now.....very sad...

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
@victorio1sw, I suspect that if you wrote back to Ruger with the info from the Dougan book showing it was assembled on Dec 15, they would be willing to re-do your letter with that first-day date. They are aware that John was given unprecedented access to the factory records, so they trust the data in his book.

WMG was right!
I asked the fine folks in records at Ruger to include the first day of production in my letter for the #85 gun in my collection.
Here it is :D
85.jpg

hittman

Staff member
That was easy. Gotta tell them what you're after. They'll confirm one way or the other.

I asked them once about my factory (??) ROUND butt Speed Six that's mis-marked as SERVICE Six. They told me it's NOT mis-marked, was made as a SERVICE Six but they used the ROUND butt grip frame. That distinction obviously is not splitting hairs to the manufacturer.