very cheap Gp100 front sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
I have wondering what front sight I would like to replace my factory sight with on my ruger gp100. I have been handling many guns lately and found that the sight on the smith performance center 44 mag had the sight that seemed to jump out at me the most. Noticed it was nothing moe than a ramp sight with what appears to be a highly visible strip attached to the blade. Got home today and opened up my tackle box and found a sturdy piece of bright red plastic attached to one of my lures. Trimmed it up to the exact size. Filed down the stepped grooves on the sight. Painted it, and then glued the stip to it. It came out identical to the smith and only costs pennies to do. The sight now jumps out at you. Thought I would share this with you guys.

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
I took several photo's but am experiencing problems with the download of the others. This one is blurry but hopefully you get the idea. It really looks like as if it was manufactured this way. I tried the paint on the sight and never liked it. As careful as I was it still came out with that painted look. I am so pleased with the way this came out. The hardest part was trimming the piece to fit exact. Saved some money and try it. The worst that can happen is you decide you don't like it and you can simply remove it with a sharp knife.

IMG_0184-2.jpg

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
My pics look similar. I painted the front sight on my .45 Blackhawk. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a tiny bottle of Testors #1145 White (the model car paint.) I also bought a bottle of Model Master enamel in Florescent Red. I painted the sight with the white first, as a base coat, to let the day-glo type red stand out, and then put on the Model Master Red. I painted with a toothpick. It lasted through a month long trip to Alaska this summer and still looks good.
Here's a couple pics:
sight1.jpg

sight2.jpg

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Those red front sights help me a bunch. I like the kit that ruger sells for about $15 with the four different colors for target shooting at least, you can change colors to contrast with the target. Had to file mine down.

Latest posts