Vaquero Value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I'm looking at a CCH finish/blue Birdshead Vaquero in 45Colt. It is a short barrel - even with the ejector, button basepin, black Ruger grips. No box etc. I couldn't prove it was even fired by looking at it. What are these going for and how common are they? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Unk

Bearcat
MSRP for standard Vaqueros (SS or blue) is $739. I don't see Birdheads offered.

I own a pair of SS Birdshead Vaqueros in .45 Colt- 3.5" barrel, black Micarta grips-purchased new 11/2001. No longer offered. I do not find my pistols in the current Blue Book of Gun Values. Ruger catalog # KBNVBH-453...mine are not consecutively serial numbered

IF case color hardened frame, a 4 5/8" barrel, Black micarta grips in .45 could be worth $500+[well a little].

Curious as to how short the barrel on your possibility is - standard ion .45 shows as 4 5/8" but then there is my 3.5" not shown.

Fun to shoot.

Best.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
It is used. Barrel is shorter than 4 5/8". Three something... CCH finish frame, billboard on the side and as I said a button basepin. I know it was Factory offering or special run at one point. I just don't know any details. I kind of figured a common production SA in excellent condition would go for around $500. I'll probably pick it up later if someone hasn't already snagged it.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
The Vaquero Birdshead was a dealer exclusive (Davidsons maybe?). Not sure if Ruger ever made it a normal cataloged item, although I seem to remember a later release as a convertible (45 colt/45 acp). The barrel length is designated as 3.75 inches. The blued guns had CCH frame. I've seen more blued/cch version then the stainless versions but I don't know what the numbers actually are. They don't make them anymore and don't come up for sale very often. Mine's not for sale :D

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
That's it. Mine is not for sale either :D and I haven't even shot it. $385+tx. For those that care it is 58-13033.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Silent Sam said:
That's it. Mine is not for sale either :D and I haven't even shot it. $385+tx. For those that care it is 58-13033.

My wife might shoot me with the other, but I would have a real hard time passing up one at that price :D

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
As described, the OP would be talking about an original, big frame Vaquero with a two digit serial prefix and I agree that you don't see many of either the birdshead or the regular gripped Sheriff's model and $500 would be about what you could expect to pay for a real nice one.
I have an example of both the blue/CCH and a stainless birdshead gripped Vaqueros in 45 Colt and both were very late factory "clean-up" guns that I bought new in 2009 and 2010 via Davidsons. My two examples have serials 58-989XX and 58-994XX.
I have been seeing similar ones at gun shows recently but they are the all blue New Vaqueros with the three digit serial prefix in 45 Colt. I've been on the look out for a New Vaquero stainless birdshead in 45 ACP to partner up with my stainless New Vaquero Montados in 357, 45 Colt, and Sheriff Model in 44 Special.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
There's one for sale near me just like you describe. Seller is asking $495, and I think he's pretty firm. I also think this is reasonable, given how much other revolvers are selling for.

That's a neat package too. Lots of firepower in a fairly small package (not lightweight, though).

Unk

Bearcat
TEST ONLY..NEW photobucket has been kicking my pin feathers..here, maybe are my pair of SS birdsheads in .45.

rtl

Single-Sixer
$500 is actually a pretty good deal for what you're looking at there in that condition. You just don't see those very often, and I bet the next time you do it'll be $50+ more than that.

dougader

Hunter
I've seen "like new" original, large frame Vaquero "Sheriff Models" go for a lot more than $500. If you really like the gun, I'd grab it up before someone else buys it.

gunz56

Bearcat
How much should I except to pay for a used 45 vaquero case hardend 5/1/2 barrel , and are they accurate to a point.