Vaquero transfer bar and transfer bar pinch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jlinz

Bearcat
I picked up a used vaquero birds head 45 acp talo. It was modified for CAS prior and I prob should have left it alone. The hammer spring looked heavier then original and cut down for speed, but seemed like primer strikes could be a little weak. I wanted to carry it from time to time so I replaced the hammer spring with a slightly reduced weight spring. The transfer bar broke a few hundred rounds after the change and i noticed the vaquero transfer bar has a meaty portion on it that makes contact with the firing pin, im guessing its there to make contact with the firing pin even with weak hammer springs and other modifications, maybe conducive for CAS i dunno?

DSC02119.JPG

Anyway I ended up replacing the transfer bar with a blackhawk and it fits fine. As a matter of fact it has not much if any transfer bar pinch at all with a normal trigger pull. The gun does have the super blackhawk hammer though as opposed to the usual vaquero hammer. It shoots very good when I have a consistent hold which I find is not all that easy to do with the birds head grip. I like the gun a lot though and it shoots as I was moving some paint cans around pretty often at 100 yards with no rest when i really concentrated on my hold the other day so its pretty accurate. Well enough babbling.

So my question is, is it normal/usual for a new vaquero to have transfer bar pinch with that built up area on the transfer bar? I think Flatgate brought up transfer bar pinch in a few threads. Since I dont have one, can you bind the transfer bar and prevent the trigger from returning on the usual vaquero after normal trigger pull (not a heavy pull) by pushing the hammer toward the frame after the hammer falls? My guess is you can based on existence of that heavier part of the transfer bar but would like confirmation.

The reason I ask, is im in the market for one of those davidsons 4 5/8" 45 LC/45 ACP convertibles and I'm just wondering if i can expect to have to deal with the transfer bar pinch issue. I already have a few blackhawk transfer bars around, probably in anticipation. I might consider putting a super blackhawk hammer in it if i ever get it anyway, but would have to shoot it a little prior to making that decision.

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/specSheets/5144.html

The other thing about this transfer bar pinch issue with the ruger single actions, theres an abrupt angle on the bar as opposed to a ruger double action which are generally much flatter and I think a lot less prone to breakage. When ive seen the single action transfer bars break, its always right at the point where it makes the 90 deg angle, almost like it shatters. Anybody else notice this mode of failure as well?

Thanks for any input and feedback.

Jeff

MCPO

Bearcat
I have a Birds Head 45ACP that I thought had the transfer bar pinch. The trigger would not reset unless the hammer was pulled back slightly. After hours of trying to tweak the trigger spring I discovered the Cylinder Rotation Stop Screw (#34) that holds the Ejector Alignment Pawl (#32) had walked out a bit. A sm Allen wrench & a drop of purple lock tite took care of that quite easily.

In the process I called Ruger about purchasing a new transfer bar and they sent me one free of charge, so fairly easily to get that spare.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I have a Davidson's Sheriff's model in 44 special, and it does have the transfer bar pinch. I'm just living with it and will see what happens.

cas6969

Buckeye
(Donning my moderator hat, website owner hat, and payer of bandwidth hat…. hot linking photos and stealing bandwidth is not very nice.)

It would seem to me that the thicker part is only going to make the problem worse, the transfer bar taking all the impact (rather than sharing it with the frame).