Vaquero shoots low

Help Support Ruger Forum:

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
Just bought a Vaquero in 45 LC off the forum,nice gun but shoots 6 to 8 inch's low at 25 yards.I'm useing 255 gr. bullets.I guess the fix is to lower the front sight but not sure how to go about doing that.thanks for the help.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Get a good file, a bunch of rounds, a black magic marker and go the the range. Shoot and if you're low file a bit off the top of the front sight. Check point of aim. Shoot and file, repeat as necessary until you're where you want to be. Go slow, it usually doesn't take much. The marker is to blacken the top of the sight once the bluing is gone. Cold blue when you're finished. Oh, and it's wise to maybe put a layer or two of tape on the bbl. as files have a tenancy to slip...don't ask me how I know this.

The above assumes that it is in fact the Vaquero shooting low and not your shooting. I'd begin the whole process by shooting a lot until you're positive it's the gun and not you. Good Luck.

The Preacher

The Preacher":19x1mr2f said:
Get a good file, a bunch of rounds, a black magic marker and go the the range. Shoot and and if you're low file a bit off the top of the front sight. Check point of aim. Shoot and file, repeat as necessary until you're where you want to be. Go slow, it usually doesn't take much. The marker is to blacken the top of the sight once the bluing is gone. Cold blue when you're finished. Oh, and it's wise to maybe put a layer or two of tape on the bbl. as files have a tenancy to slip...don't ask me how I know this.

The above assumes that it is in fact the Vaquero shooting low and not your shooting. I'd begin the whole process by shooting a lot until you're positive it's the gun and not you. Good Luck.

The Preacher

Yep to the above.
If you are shooting reduced loads they tend to shoot low.
You stated the bullet but not the valocity.
I had to file down the sights on all four of my Vaqueros :( I don't shoot hot loads. 5.5 231 and 200 gr. most of the time. Vaquero in Spanish means shoots low to the left in 45Colt. Notice the sights on these 45s
Jim
164-1.jpg

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
Patrick

Make sure, before you start filing, that you have decided on the load that the gun and you shoot best! It does you no good to file to a load and then deciding that you want more or less power.

Rules of thumb:

Faster loads shoot lower than slower loads.

Heavier bullets at one velocity, shoot higher than lighter bullets with the same powder charge but at a different velocity (which occurs when bullet weight changes but powder charge is consistent).

A heavy bullet and a light bullet pushed to exactly the same velocity will strike pretty much at the same point of aim.

A lot of people mistakenly believe that slower loads should strike lower. It's not the case, unless the velocity is soooo slow as to render recoil nonexistant.

Also, bench rested loads will not strike to the same point of aim as handheld loads, though properly benching the barrel will make it easier to develop a load and then regulate the sights to bring it to point of aim.

The first thing you have to do, is decide on the load that the gun loves and you love! You have to shoot it enough that you reach the point where you are consistently grouping in the same place all the time, even if that means you are shooting 15 inches lower than point of aim. Once you have reached consistent groups that you are satisfied with, break out the file and go for it. Don't be afraid!

Dan

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
"A heavy bullet and a light bullet pushed to exactly the same velocity will strike pretty much at the same point of aim."

I don't agree. More recoil, therefore more muzzle lift with heavier bullet.

wwb

Hunter
Let me apologize beforehand, but for some reason the "Vaquero Shoots Low" title caused my demented brain to remember the line "Aim low, boys.... they're ridin' Shetlands!" from an old western comedy.

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
mindustrial":2g16as8m said:
"A heavy bullet and a light bullet pushed to exactly the same velocity will strike pretty much at the same point of aim."

That's why I said "pretty much" and not exactly. My experience with 200s vs 240s indicate that if I push them to the same instrumental velocity, the difference in point of impact at usable ranges is close enough for field use without changing point of aim to adjust point of impact. If we're talking about 300 grain bullets, then all bets are off. I don't use them. 240 to 255 are my standard shooting/hunting bullets. 200s when they're free.

Regards

Dan

slippingaway

Blackhawk
DanChamberlain":14j9gx7x said:
mindustrial":14j9gx7x said:

That's why I said "pretty much" and not exactly. My experience with 200s vs 240s indicate that if I push them to the same instrumental velocity, the difference in point of impact at usable ranges is close enough for field use without changing point of aim to adjust point of impact. If we're talking about 300 grain bullets, then all bets are off. I don't use them. 240 to 255 are my standard shooting/hunting bullets. 200s when they're free.

Regards

Dan

I know that in my Blackhawk convertible, a 45acp loaded with 200g bullets and 6gr of 231 will shoot to the same POI as my 45LC hunting loads, a 250g with 13g of HS6. Didn't plan it that way, but it's nice that it worked out.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have regulated several fixed sighted guns.

1 - Make SURE you have the load determined before you
pick up a file.

2 - Go slow. I suggest you plan on spending three range
sessions, filing a bit at a time, before you reach the
final point. Eyesight can change a bit from day to day.
Just make sure you have the revolver regulated where
you want it when you are finished. Spreading this
process out over three sessions will help to guarantee
that.

3 - It's a LOT easier to take material off than put it back.

FWIW
Dale53

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm a one gun/one load sort of guy, so I regulate mine using the tape 'n file routine.
What I don't do however, is shoot much off a bench....which in turn means that I don't regulate my POA/POI while shooting off of a bench.... because it matters. You can bet on it.

DGW

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
"That's why I said "pretty much" and not exactly. My experience with 200s vs 240s indicate that if I push them to the same instrumental velocity...."

Fair enough, I was having a cranky day. But what immediately came to mind was my experience shooting 300grainers from my S&W mod 29.