Vaquero safety without the half cock position?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KenK

Bearcat
I have a set of New Vaqueros to use for Cowboy Action Shooting.Today I was talking to some long time SASS members that have had problems with the Vaquero getting out of time when rapid refiring during a SASS stage. I am assuming this could cause the cartridge to fire when not lined up with the barrel.
The fix was to install a half-cock kit.
Anyone have info or a comment on this?

I am just starting so I will certainly be slower, but this scared me...I do hope to get faster in time!!!

flatgate

Hawkeye
Are you shooting a Vaquero or a New Vaquero?

The New Vaquero has a "reverse indexing pawl" which is coupled with a "free spin pawl" to make the chambers line up with the loading recess in the cylinder frame when the pawl "clicks".

I would assume the "good ol' boys" with their Vaqueros are complaining about the fact that the chambers do NOT line up with the loading recess when the pawl "clicks" and the solution was to spend the money and purchase one of Ron Power's Half Cock kits.

At least this is my take on what you've stated.....
I do not see how a "half cock" kit could have ANYTHING to do with the timing of the cylinder with respect to the firing of a cartridge. The alignment of a chamber with the firing pin is managed by the cylinder latch and it's engagement with the "bolt cuts" in the cylinder. Now, firing ANY revolver without fully cycling the lockwork so the cylinder is rotated into the "battery" position and the cylinder latch is "locked" into the bolt cuts is asking for trouble....

flatgate

contender

Ruger Guru
Hard to add anything to what Flatgate has posted. But, the only thing I can say is that you shouldn't worry so much. I recall a TV show where former world Champ "Lead Dispenser" used Ruger Vaqueros that all he did was use toothpaste inside the action, dry fired them a lot to smooth them up,, and after cleaning,, he uses them in matches. He's one of the fastest ever in SASS so,, I doubt you'll exceed his speed or number of shots fired easily.
It's when folks start tinkering with the actions & are not a quality gunsmith that they CAUSE problems with the timing, etc in guns.

DGW1949

Hunter
Most of the lock-up problems which I've encountered with CAS revolvers have been tied to weak springs. Not weak as in wore out, but weak by design....meaning that someone has installed a set of lightweight springs so's to make the action "feel" slicker. Problem with that is, too light of a spring can't control the effected part at speed.
In other words.... the gun may work great when operated in a normal manner, but when cycled extremely fast, the rotating cylinder will outrun the latch...or the hand don't contact the ratchet properly....or both.

As for gaining speed in CAS.....
The biggest gains won't be found in tinkering with the revolver(s). It is in properly modifying the shotgun. That, and practicing transitions between one gun and another.
All in all, I'd say that about the best thing you can do to that RNV is practice with it a bunch.

Hope this helps.

DGW

KenK

Bearcat
Hi there;
WOW I didn't expect so much feedback so soon ~!~
I have 2 New Model Vaqueros .357 5 1/2" Stainless models. Untouched and actually unfired at the moment. I have been practicing with my Blackhawk .357 4 5/8" SS up till now!!!
I feel better know after reading all these reply posts.
I am more interested in just getting started fuguring out how to do the stages and all that is need to do them.
I think it is great to be able to use these guns and play cowboy again.
I am not much of a compeditor. Just want to have fun.
The best thing so far is the people I have met as well as the people I know, but didn't know they even had guns!!!
Thanks again guys;

Santafestan

Bearcat
Howdy Ken,
I'm new to the forum but not Cowboy Action Shooting. Never known a Ruger to have the problem you described. Usually happens with colts or clones with weak springs like DGW described. Personally I can get some pretty low split times with my rugers and never had a cylinder over rotate....

If you're just getting started all I would suggest is a decent spring kit from Brownell's or Midway.....they can make a big difference in the feel of the gun. Just don't try to go to light.....you want the primers to always go POP and have a good solid lock time......

Good luck with Cowboy Action Shooting.....it's addictive.....

Stan