Vaquero questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ledzep152

Bearcat
Hey all, as I'm primarily a 1911 guy, I have a few Vaquero questions.

First, I have a .45 ACP/LC convertible and to date have only shot about 100 ACP rounds through it. No LC. I have noticed about an inch into the barrel marks on each of the lands. As the cylinder is the chamber and the round has to travel into the barrel before it makes contact, Are these marks simply where the round makes contact with the barrel?

Secondly, I'm much fonder of the Bisley grip as I've owned one before. My choices are to purchase a Bisley grip frame and fit to the upper (Which I've done before) OR....If I wind up purchasing a Bisley Vaquero, will my current ACP cylinder time up properly to the new revolver, or is timing specific to the serialized upper?

Thanks for any input.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm assuming you are discussing the sideways marks in the grooves. It's kinda hard to tell what they might be,,, w/o the gun in hand. But the bullet should hit the lands & grooves prior to that point.

As for a cylinder timing up,,, first,, the frame sizes must be the same size. (Blackhawk & Vaquero's are the same,, the New Vaquero's & the mid-frame Flattop NM's are the same.
You'd have to measure the diameter of each cylinder to see if it fits the window of the frame first.
And if that fits,, THEN the biggest thing will be the OAL. When we buy "spare" cylinders to fit to a gun, we want the same OAL,, or even a few thousands longer, so we can hone the boss end down to fit. Timing will usually be a non-issue as long as the fit is correct.
BUT,, when in doubt,,, get a proper gunsmith to check things first.

ledzep152

Bearcat
Interesting. Yes the marks that are 90 degrees to the lands. Not quite sure how they got there?

Mine is a new model vaquero. So a new model Bisley should be close in theory.

Shame they just dont sell a Bisley Convertible. 45 LC is expensive!

contender

Ruger Guru
Uhh,,, A Williams distributor model, a Bisley 45 convertible was available. They are out there & not terribly expensive. It is on the normal full sized frame.

Latest posts