Vaquero question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
Last night, I was browsing in a gun shop and saw a Vaquero in .45 LC. It had a short barrel (3 5/8") and pearl grips with no Ruger insignia on them. I bought it, and I confirmed with Ruger this morning that it is an "old" model, made in 2003. It was new, never fired, so I don't know where it has been all this time but it is mine now!

I took the grips off, and they are marked "AJAX" on the inside...and they appear to be out of business now.

Was this gun produced with these grips? Or were they added on afterward? (The owner wasn't there, and the sales person didn't know anything about the history...other than it was a "new" gun, not a used/trade.) I want to get some wooden grips with the Ruger insignia on them, but of course the Ruger website only sells the ones for New Vaquero. I also like some of the aftermarket grips that I have seen...I just don't care for these faux pearl grips (like Patton said about pearl handled revolvers!)

Do you think I should keep these pearl grips in the box, even if I put on wooden grips, if that was the way it was originally made? If not, I can sell them or trade them, if there is no real reason to keep them with the gun .

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Ruger has, from time to time, shipped guns with semi-custom grips, but as far as I know, they always have Ruger medallians. The exception would be something like the SASS model Vaquero they currently offer. So I don't think these grips would be valuable or make the gun more collectible. If I were you, I'd probably buy some new grips from Cary C or Pvt. Shultz here on the forum and put the pearly ones up for sale.

no, those are aftermarket grips, made by 'Ajax' that is no longer in business.....lots of those grips were made by them and are out there...some guys even cut a hole and mount Ruger medallions in them......they do look pretty good.

GKC

Blackhawk
Thanks!

I don't buy guns just to collect (as in put them away and never shoot them)...but I didn't want to get rid of the grips if they were an original part of the gun. I keep the boxes, manuals, etc in case I do want to sell the gun in the future.

Could have come with ones like these. If not they were wood.
Jim
164-1.jpg

GKC

Blackhawk
Nice looking guns!

Mine is like the one in the lower right hand corner...except for the grips.

I just sent a message to Carl to inquire about having some grips made. I asked his opinion, and now I'll ask yours...with the CCH frame, should I go with dark wood, or the white American Holly? (I know, opinions vary...but I'd like to hear the opinions of others.)

I'm thinking of having the .45 Colt brass head inserts instead of the Ruger medallions, since these are not original grips anyway.

What do you think?

mstan99999

Bearcat
Be careful drilling the grips for the 45 brass. The material those are made from is brittle and the edges chip very easy.
I worked for Ajax for a while and we had tons of issues with the pearlite grips breaking. It's a shame they went under. There were some fine people working there.
Thanks!!
Matt

GKC

Blackhawk
mstan99999":9l85pdqv said:
Be careful drilling the grips for the 45 brass. The material those are made from is brittle and the edges chip very easy.
I worked for Ajax for a while and we had tons of issues with the pearlite grips breaking. It's a shame they went under. There were some fine people working there.
Thanks!!
Matt

I don't have the skills to do it myself...especially not on something I'd want anyone to see! :oops:

I noticed on Cary's website that he could insert either the Ruger medallion or .45 Colt brass heads in his grips. That's what I was talking about having done.