Vaquero out of time?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
Bought a new Vaquero recently (one of the clean up guns) and love it. Shot about 100 rounds through it and it mis-fired once. When I removed the empty cases I noticed on one empty case the firing pin just missed the primer.(see picture) I'm not a expert but this seems dangerous. I did nothing to this gun in the way of modification. Should I take the gun a part and clean it or ship it back to Ruger? It's only done it once in a 100 plus rounds.
christmas09025.jpg
[/img]

contender

Ruger Guru
If you only got one case like that,, I'd say it's probably not a problem with the gun. I'd be interested in the position of that shell in the chamber in relation to the firing pin,, etc! Notice there doesn't seem to be even a tiny mark on the primer but the brass has a definate indentation. Maybe something else caused the dent?

patrickjames

Single-Sixer
I onced owned a old model blackhawk that had the transfer bar conversion that did this very same thing.It turned out to be the pawl that rotated the clyinder was to short.On my new Vaquero it did the same thing.I pulled the the trigger,Gun did not fire and when I removed the cases I noticed the firing pin had dented the case beside the primer.The inside of the gun very dirty. I even pulled out a piece of metal shaving out of the gun about 1/4 inch long with tweezers.Don't get me wrong I love this gun and feel lucky to own it.I own 7 blackhawks and this is only the second time I've experience this.
Thank you,Gary I'll see you Saturday.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I'm no expert but if your gun dented that case and then shot the cartridge on another try I would say "YES" that gun was out-of-time at least that one time. I would carefully check that the cylinder stop pops-up and locks the cylinder before the hammer drops. That dent in the case indicates the cylinder was not locked-up in place when the hammer dropped. Perhaps a good cleaning is all that is needed but I would be sure things were resolved before shooting it any more. :D

...Jimbo