Vaquero lock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Got a used New Vaquero (.45 Colt) that has a key lock inside the grip frame where the hammer strut slides into. I assume its a safety lock but I didn't receive a key with the gun. Anyone know how to obtain a key short of contacting Ruger, or is there a way to operate the lock without one?

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
If you want to be the first person to ever use the lock, Ruger would probably send you a key if you ask nice.

I've never heard of anyone using it though.

Jack

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ahh, yes, with a brand new gun, the key would come with it. Not a big deal to call and explain to get one.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

In order to use the lock, you have to drill a small hole in one of the plastic grips. There is an indent on the inside of the grip where you should drill. This allows you to operate the lock without removing the grip.

Frankly, I would just ignore the fact that the lock is there and not bother to get a key. Ruger was very smart when they designed this lock, unless you drill the hole, you will never even know the lock is there, unlike some other brands that have an ugly hole in the frame where a key is inserted.

contender

Ruger Guru
When they ship the guns new,, a pair of keys are shipped too,, usually inside a small baggie stapled inside the manuel.
You can get a set of replacements from Ruger,, but as mentioned,, most of us never use them. In fact,, I've not heard of anyone so far using the lock.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
I'm not particularly interested in using the lock for any safety reasons, but I was impressed with the design. It's a nice compact, effective & inexpensive design that serves the purpose without having to, like some of you have said, do an ugly modification of the frame like some other brands have gone to; Taurus in particular.

Also, one could lock the gun without anyone knowing it by removing the grip panels and replacing them.

Don't know why, but I just like it, & I'm NOT a fan of gun locks either.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
My guess is, if it has a lock Ruger would want you to have a key. I think they would drop you a couple in the mail free of charge just like the safety manual.

J Miller

Blackhawk
desertrat,

Do you know any LEOs personally? I've read, and the pics I've seen seem to point to this fact, that hand cuff keys will work the Ruger locks.
I have hand cuff keys, but no Ruger lock to try them in. Kinda curious.

Joe

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I've used handcuff keys on the Ruger locks as well, they work well
but I'd still call Ruger and get a set of factory keys, probably for free
just in case the lock got engaged accidentally and you would then
need to unlock the gun to use it, i would NOT drill my grip panels
for anything however.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
Makes sense, plus its an excellent design concept, that Ruger would key their pistol grip lock the same as handcuffs.

I don't know any LEOs personally, but that's good information to have...thx.

Also, I didn't, and don't, have any plans to drill my panel grips to access the key lock. If I were to use the lock I prefer to remove the grips.

desertrat":8lpwh4l4 said:
Got a used New Vaquero (.45 Colt) that has a key lock inside the grip frame where the hammer strut slides into. I assume its a safety lock but I didn't receive a key with the gun. Anyone know how to obtain a key short of contacting Ruger, or is there a way to operate the lock without one?

PM me your address I've got a few kicking around I don't use them I'll send ya one. ps

tek4260

Buckeye
powder smoke":2d2393h2 said:
desertrat":2d2393h2 said:

PM me your address I've got a few kicking around I don't use them I'll send ya one. ps

PS beat me to it, I have several sets from 50th anv guns that I will never use.

jack76590

Bearcat
How positive is the lock in OFF position? As in is it possible it could engage under recoil or when dropped, etc.

Also would it be hard to remove lock entirely?

desertrat

Single-Sixer
powder smoke:

I pm'd you to give you my address to send the key you offered and haven't heard from you since. No key in the mail yet. What gives?

flatgate

Hawkeye
jack76590":1uq6c7kg said:
How positive is the lock in OFF position? As in is it possible it could engage under recoil or when dropped, etc.

Also would it be hard to remove lock entirely?

I don't believe the lock would ever give trouble. Removal requires a different mainspring, mainspring strut and mainspring seat.

Or, it appears a "Cowboy Action Shooting" gunsmith has developed what he calls a "hammer over-travel stop" that effectively removes the lock mechanism but retains the shorter mainspring strut and the weaker mainspring.

flatgate

"The Lock"
221293128.jpg