Vaquero lock work (NM), grip frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
I just swapped out a factory blue steel grip frame for a factory stainless grip frame on a Vaquero. In as much as that was a bit of a jig saw puzzle, it took me a few tries to put the grip frame on and have all the various springs seated properly.

I have the grip frame on now, but the more I tighten that long screw on the ear on the left side of the hammer, the less Im able to cycle the action. All the way in and I cant cycle at all. I understand this is the hammer pin retention screw, as well as a frame screw.

Whats happening mechanically here and how do I seat this screw properly?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I always lay my parts out in a manner resembling how they go or have a printed schematic and simply lay the pieces on them.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Oh, you're not alone. Some New Model Rugers have the "hammer pivot pin" retainer screw on the left side and some have it on the right side. Now, I'm discussing guns made between 1973 and today. Sometimes one can simply flip over the hammer pivot pin and try again. Sometimes the pin will "protrude" too far and be unsightly, sometimes it works great.

On my "shooters" I do some fitting and try to get the pivot pins set so they are flush with the sides of the cylinder frame. Sometimes tolerances "stack" against you and you have to deal with it, but, usually one can "get 'er done".....

flatgate

Latest posts