Vaquero Grip question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mulder

Bearcat
I have been on the hunt for a set of ivory grips for my New Model Vaquero. I thought I found a set but Brownells, for legal reasons, cannot send them to Australia (the company that makes the grips is not registered with the state dept for some reason, probably the $$$$ involved). Any way I go to this other web site and thought I had found a replacement set yet they state that "None of their grips will fit Ruger Stainless Pistols"
Am I missing something? Is the Vaquero Stainless (As mine is) different than the blued version in some dimensional way?
Being the only one with one of these in my area and the nearest one I know of is a 2 hour drive away is thee someone here who know if there is a difference between the stainless and blued Vaquero?
Regards
David

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
I've made a lot of grips.

I find differences between the stainless and blued Bisley frame.

I find differences between the steel and alloy xr3-red frame.

I don't find much difference between the blued steel and stainless steel XR3-red frame. Typically I find grips that fit one of these well will fit the other well. This is the Vaquero (also the stainless Blackhawk and Single Six).

With the New Vaquero, I do seem to observe some variation between the blued steel xr3 frame and the stainless xr3 frame, but it isn't a large difference.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
My understanding is that they're the same. I have a blued Vaquero (large frame) grip, and a couple of stainless Vaqueros, and the grips are interchangeable.

Perhaps it has something to do with the new safety in the gripframe?

Daryl

mulder

Bearcat
I dont know what they are on about. Seems strange to produce the same pistol and there are differences because of the material they are made out of. Thanks for your replies.
David

caryc

Hawkeye
I have had both stainless and blued "New Vaquero" frames shipped to me for grip fitting. I haven't seen much difference between the two.

The one problem I've seen is shown in the pics below. I would imagine that after the frames are removed from the molds and cleaned and polished, they are put in some kind of jig or fixture to drill the grip locator pin holes.

I would guess that someone whose mind was not on the job may not clean out all the drill shavings from the previously drilled frame and stick the next one in with the shavings keeping it from precisely fitting into the jig like it should with the result of the hole being drill off center. Just my guess.

You can see how the same stock plastic grip fits on both frames below.

F-bad1.jpg

F-good1.jpg

F-bad2.jpg

F-good2.jpg

F-bad3.jpg

F-good3.jpg

mulder

Bearcat
Wow! Great photos! Thanks for going to all that trouble of taking those photos and putting them here. I really appreciate it. Nice and clear and I understood everything you wrote. Makes life easier when someone goes to all that trouble. Thankyou again for all that you have done and the fantastic photos.
David

mulder

Bearcat
I just went to your web site Cary. Man they are nice and gee you have sold a heap of grips. I can see why. Beautiful!
Thanks agaiin
David

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I've noticed that the stainless New Vaquero grip frames are more prone to be oversized in the rounded protion of the backstrap on at least one side. I've got one now that is about 0.020" proud of my grips, but only on one side. This condition sure throws a wrench in the process when you make both sides identical as I do. And as Cary mentioned, there are a few out there where the locating pin hole is drilled 0.020" to 0.030" off from where is should be. That is a PITA.

I haven't noticed this too much with the Blackhawk sized grip frames (which the Vaquero used, not New Vaquero, Vaquero) but I do use a stainless grip frame to pattern from which results in slightly proud grips than can be sanded back to fit should the condition arise.

mulder

Bearcat
You would think in this day and age of CNC machining and such that nearly everything should be the same for every pistol. I can see why some people require the pistol for a custom grip fit. 0.020" doesnt sound much but the human hand can feel that much of a difference.
Thankyou for your reply
David

caryc

Hawkeye
mulder":1zvkeuv9 said:
You would think in this day and age of CNC machining and such that nearly everything should be the same for every pistol. I can see why some people require the pistol for a custom grip fit. 0.020" doesnt sound much but the human hand can feel that much of a difference.
Thankyou for your reply
David

I would imagine that CNC machining each grip frame from a solid block would be lots more expensive than casting them.