Vaquero - Front Sight Adjustment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Dale53":9jmbuw2u said:
Gun runner;
That's a nice target. I really enjoy my .32's (.32 H&R's). I find it a bit harder to hold high than point of aim. Dale53
I didn't think what I punched in ... my hold was the 9 ring at 6 o'clock ... when I said 12 o'clock I met no KY windage ...SORRY .

victank1

Bearcat
I had a 45 colt Vaquero which did the same thing. I thought it was my trigger pull. I called Ruger and explained the problem to the Tech and he instructed me to do a few simple things and if that was not the correction he would send a shipper and give it to a Tech at Ruger to fix. He wanted a couple of 5 shot groups shot at 15 yds with 250 grain Winchester Round nose cowboy loads. It seems this is the round they use to sight in and function fire their Vaqueros. If it was still left and low put it along with the fired groups and send it back to Ruger. It was still Low and left. I sent it back. Six days later my gun was back with a list of replacement parts which included the barrel, and trigger parts and a trigger job from Ruger at no charge. Shoots at POA now...

pi2

Bearcat
I have problems with Ruger SS 3 1/2" Birdshead revolvers in .45 Colt.

I have tried various factory loads but have not yet worked extensively with hand loading to make the revolvers shoot to POA.

Both tend to shoot a bit to the left and low at 15 - 25 yards.

I am looking at having the smith (nearby neighbor) install adjustable sights since he has already "tweaked" the front sight on one of them (the worst offender) with some (but not satisfactory) results.

I have relegated the Vaqueros to point shooting where they both excel.

I like a big bore here in the boonies and prefer a single action (especially in .45 Colt) and I much prefer the short barrels for packing. I have Blackhawks but they don't seem as handy as the little Vaqueros.

I have benefited from this thread in some respects and appreciate the experiences of others.

I am resurrecting this old thread for further comment by those interested.

For the time being I am carrying a Ruger Alaskan in .454 with .45 Colt ammo which is adequate for all I will encounter.

The adjustable sights are more visible and I can shoot small critters in my vegetables and in my chicken lot with the Alaskan. The Vaqueros were a challenge at best with the fixed high gloss SS sights.

I will eventually contact Clements regarding the availability of his sights for purchase so my local smith (pushing 80 years old) can install probably his last set for me. I have known him nearly 40 years and would like him to do the work if he is able.

I look forward to any comments and/or any advice received.

pisgah

Buckeye
Driftwood Johnson said:
Yes, rotating the barrel ever so slightly is the best way to do it, but don't try this your self. Too much chance of springing the frame. Gunsmiths have a special vice that holds the frame without damaging it.

I've known a few gunsmiths whom I suspected of having a special vice or two, but excessive smoking and drinking was all I could prove. :lol: :lol: