Vaquero ejector rod housings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

olyinaz

Bearcat
A new (to me) issue I've been seeing is ejector rod housings that are proud of the frame vs. just a tad smaller than. It's kind of a pain in the butt to fix, and I don't understand why it's been cropping up of late on the guns I'm seeing in the shops (and here).

Anyone else notice this? If I missed a thread/discussion of it please accept my apology.

Oly

olyinaz

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
I have several Vaq`s , I haven't noticed that on any of mine ???

Nor mine, but I'm seeing it in units in the shops these days and I just noticed it here as well. Here is a picture from another thread, I'll see if I can find another:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=184484#p1841861

See where the ejector rod housing meets the frame, towards the bottom? It's actually proud of the frame. Minor on this one but very noticeable on some I've seen in the shops, and THAT my friend is not right. I don't know why we would just now start seeing this on work leaving Ruger's shops.

Here are some more examples:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=184484&start=30#p1866793

(To the fellows who own these pistols, please don't be offended. There are very few people who would notice this sort of thing and they're lovely guns.)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's something I always observed/critique for years in my final decision to buy or not buy SAs for sale. I see few with proud ERHs. Traditionally the frame is supposed to be proud to the ERH like it is with the barrel, rather than 'match' polished.

Ruger ERHs are fairly consistent in size. It's the Ruger frames that vary due to the final polisher at the factory. Sometimes extra deep polishing is needed to remove casting pits. Other times it's just sloppy work.

I agree with Jim, nature of the beast, common thing when putting on "parts" that are made in bulk, and getting them to "match" a contoured, polished cylinder frame...seen some a LOT worse over the years, and mismatched something terrible, even gaps......would need to get into the "custom" , hand fitting to make them match and imagine the cost then!! Bottom line is I would rather have the "part" a bit MORE "proud" and get to take the beating, wear, etc and easier to replace than have to address the "main frame" in the future.....just MY .02 cents

When shopping, be selective and if you don't like it, there are others...............

olyinaz

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
That's something I always observed/critique for years in my final decision to buy or not buy SAs for sale. I see few with proud ERHs. Traditionally the frame is supposed to be proud to the ERH like it is with the barrel, rather than 'match' polished.

Ruger ERHs are fairly consistent in size. It's the Ruger frames that vary due to the final polisher at the factory. Sometimes extra deep polishing is needed to remove casting pits. Other times it's just sloppy work.

Well I think that's exactly it. What's also annoying (to me at least) is that while I've never seen a Colt like that, I don't think I've ever seen even an Uberti (or now Pietta since they're in the game big time too) with this particular build problem. If one doesn't notice it who cares right? But I do, and I'm like you in that I shop around pieces with this issue (as the other fellow mentioned also).

I'm not Ruger bashing in general as I own more Rugers than any other marque. It just happened to be something I noticed and thought I'd comment on it here in the Ruger revolver forum :idea: as I knew there'd be someone with some insights regarding the issue.

Thanks.

Oly

The Sturminator

Single-Sixer
Hey Oly, I noticed it with some of my high polished models, too. No offence taken at all on my end. The way the ERH just kinda hangs low, if you will. Unfortunately for me, the models I've chose to gather up are hard enough to come by and I figured if I didn't grab em when I saw em, someone else would, lol. I see it as now I have the models I wanted and if a perfectly fitted specimen pops up to replace it, great, I can get it and sell the lesser fit one. One of them, "A bird in the hand is...." moments, ya know? ;) Hehe.

olyinaz

Bearcat
The Sturminator said:
Hey Oly, I noticed it with some of my high polished models, too. No offence taken at all on my end. The way the ERH just kinda hangs low, if you will. Unfortunately for me, the models I've chose to gather up are hard enough to come by and I figured if I didn't grab em when I saw em, someone else would, lol. I see it as now I have the models I wanted and if a perfectly fitted specimen pops up to replace it, great, I can get it and sell the lesser fit one. One of them, "A bird in the hand is...." moments, ya know? ;) Hehe.

Absolutely!

Latest posts