VAQUERO 45LC 7 1/2" vs New Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KenK

Bearcat
VAQUERO 45LC 7 1/2" vs New Vaquero?
I had a Vaquero 7 1/2" in .45LC.
My hands are not that large by any means, but when I fire it the trigger guard hurts my knuckles behind the trigger guard. So much that I traded it off!!!
Is there much difference in the New Vaquero in the space behind the trigger guard to the grip.
I want to have a 45LC single action to go with my Winchecter 94AE 45LC Trapper.
I have no problem with my New Vaqueros in .357 seems more room??

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I just grabbed a Vaquero and a New Vaquero to see. There really is no difference in the distance between the grip and the trigger guard that I could detect. What is different is the stock grips on the New Vaquero are much thinner, which may or may not affect how you grip the gun.

It's really too bad you traded off the gun, I know lot's of shooters who complain about the trigger guard whacking their knuckles. I even know one Cowboy shooter who used to wrap a bandaide around his finger before a match, to protect it.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell all shooters who complain about their knuckles being whacked. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you are cramming your entire hand onto the grip. That causes your middle finger to be jammed right against the trigger guard, a sure prescription for getting your knuckle whacked.

The trick is to leave a little bit of space between the trigger guard and your knuckle. 1/4" or so is all you need. The way to do this is to not cram your entire hand onto the grip. Allow your pinky to curl under the bottom of the grip. Then shift your grip down a bit and free up a little bit of space behind the trigger guard. 1/4" is all you need. I hold all my single action revolvers this way, and I can shoot full powered Black Powder 45 Colt loads with 250 grain bullets all day long without ever getting my knuckle whacked.

Buy that 45 and try it.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Hey! what's all this talk about whacking knuckles? :mrgreen:

On a serious note... there is one slight dif' on the two Vaquero grips (Vaquero / New Vaquero)... the back strapon the "NV" is a little bit straighter up and down,... the "Vaquero" is on a tidbit sharper angle.

Just something I noticed when handling the Bird's head and Montado.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The squalling about busted knuckles with the XR3 and added room behind the triggerguard is the sole purpose for the design of the XR3-RED grip frame, which is what the Vaquero wears. It's the only appreciable difference between it and the XR3, which the New Vaquero wears.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Interesting. I have long, skinny fingers. I've never had a problem shooting my 7.5" Vaquero, even with stout Ruger-only handloads. I absolutely hate Super Blackhawks with the squared trigger guard, though!

REP1954

Blackhawk
If you have smaller hands then thin down your grips put a good bevel on the bottom and shoot pinky under. I can shoot a 4 5/8 SBH with 240gr. bullets at 1300 fps all day and never get whacked.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
I have 4 vaqueros in 44 mag. All 4 wear dragoon grip frames and I have no problems with any finger smacking. With heavy loads my wrist hurts with the 4 5/8 barrels, but not the fingers

maxpress

Buckeye
used to happen with my sbh square gaurd 7 1/2 inch .44 mag. but not with any others. wonder if the barrel length effects recoil back instead of up.
anyway. the NV should keep your fingers farther back with the slimmer grips.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I don't shoot the truly heavy loads some of you do but have shot some fairly stout loads in my .45 Blackhawks with no problems. On the other hand, while my New Vaquero is a handy little gun, if I don't get my grip just right, the little bugger does rap my knuckle with a full power(not Ruger only) load. I shoot with the pinky finger under on all of the .45s and the X3RED grip frame just works best for me. The square back Super doesn't hit my knuckle but with a full power ,44 load, if I don't get my trigger finger just right the $$%$ thing pinches my fingertip sometimes :)

KenK

Bearcat
maxpress":3j4hvaif said:
used to happen with my sbh square gaurd 7 1/2 inch .44 mag. but not with any others. wonder if the barrel length effects recoil back instead of up.
anyway. the NV should keep your fingers farther back with the slimmer grips.
I was wondering about the barrel lenght effecting recoil as well??
I tried to hold the grips many different ways and same results.
No problem with my Blackhawks or New Vaqueros with .357mag.
4-5/8" & 5 1/2"Only the 7 1/2" Vaquero not New vaquero.
I will find a New Vaqrero to try soon. I didn't like the 7 1/2 anyway
I do have a nice Bianchi holster that fit it perfectly though. I listed it in the classified section.
Thanks for the replys guys!!!

maxpress

Buckeye
yeah, i gave up the 7 1/2 because the only thing i could do was carry it (in my hand) anytime i went on a hike and sat down or drove with it holstered it wound up with the grips right in my ribs. i realize there are shoulder holsters and front holsters for it but i never liked those modes of carry. im a hip holster (cross draw with a pack. strong side without) type of guy and those 4 5/8 barrels are just so sweet to pack. besides the 7 1/2 would always thump out a rythem on the saddle while ridding

Bucks Owin

Hunter
maxpress":byntpeho said:
Could be, my middle finger used to get whacked with full tilt .44 loads in my 10" Flattop, even following Skeeter's advice about putting a "choke hold" on the XR3 grip. A grip frame swap with my OM SS6 "RED" cured it as long as I HELD ON to the dang gun! This "roll in the hand" business of absorbing recoil doesn't seem to work all that well with 10" of barrel out there! :lol: ...FWIW, Dennis (BTW though, I have rather long skinny fingers and most of my shooting is somewhat stiffarmed from the bench)

KenK

Bearcat
Thanks for the fast replys guys!!
Anyway the 7-1/2" Vaquero is gone.
Holster is listed on this forum too.
I haven't given up yet. I will try a few other .45 LC Rugers.
Ruger Vaquero's are about all we can have here in Mass.
Unless it was purchased in Mass before 1998.
Thanks

Yep, Skeeter felt the change to the XR3RED grip frame was an error, as he believed the extra room behind the trigger guard gave the guard a chance to "take a run at" his knuckle. On most of his newer guns he retrofitted XR3's to replace the XR3RED's.

Given the same load in any caliber, I find the shorter barrels are "snappier" than the longer ones, displaying more muzzle rise and palm impact.

I have retrofitted SBH grip frames to a couple of .45 Colt 4-5/8" Blackhawks, and found this to be a great improvement in control and comfort.

To each his own.

:mrgreen:

Hokie73

Bearcat
Well, I got a 50th Anniversary 44 and I hate the old style XR3 grip frame. I never had a problem with my Vaquero 44s, even with the heaviest loads, but this new one bites the heck out of me with anything approaching heavy loads.