Vaquero .45 C for hunting backup?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

00cummins4x4

Bearcat
I want your opinion guys. I have found a Vaquero with 25 rounds through it for $400. I'm in the market for a backup pistol for the upcoming Northern Ca. hunting season. There are no wear marks or signs of use at all on this revolver. It seems like a deal to me. What do Y'all think?

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I not sure about used Vaquero prices, but I can say that the .45 Colt would make you a fine back-up gun for hunting. It would make a fine weapon for just about any handgun purpose you might have. The .45 Colt is a "can do" cartridge!

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
You can get factory ammo for that thing that outperforms most 44Magnum ammo. The hottest is by Buffalo Bore, look under their 45LC+P listings.

It's basically a 44Magnum-class frame, mechanically identical to a SuperBlackhawk except for sights and hammer.

The Vaquero is a fine revolver I have several and they are a fun gun. That being said I would prefer a Blackhawk for hunting I'm a way better shot with the adjutable sights rather than the fixed sights on the vaquero. JMHO Phil

Nite Ryder

Bearcat
That is a good price if it's in good condition. For a backup hunting gun I'd rather have something that carries more than 6 shots. I leave my 44 Mags and 357 Mags at home and take my Glock mod 20 and an extra magazine. I have a friend that shot four shots at a Momma Cougar before she changed directions and left him alone. He traded his 629 Smith off the following week.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
I've used a Vaquero .45 Colt as a primary hunting gun, though it is USUALLY in the back-up role. My 7.5" has taken a one-shot stop on a mule deer at 105 yards with factory Winchester Silvertips and proper bullet placement.

The ability is definitely in the gun, if it's in you!

CraigC

Hawkeye
Nite Ryder":1d2jyecm said:
That is a good price if it's in good condition. For a backup hunting gun I'd rather have something that carries more than 6 shots. I leave my 44 Mags and 357 Mags at home and take my Glock mod 20 and an extra magazine. I have a friend that shot four shots at a Momma Cougar before she changed directions and left him alone. He traded his 629 Smith off the following week.
This logic makes no sense to me whatsoever. Ever since Glock came out with the model 20 folks have been dreaming up situations where they need a sporting pistol that holds a dozen or more cartridges. If you can't get the job done with six, you either need to practice or stay home.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Nite Ryder":184x5i66 said:

Gee, does he hunt with an AR-15 w/30 round mags, too?

Most 10mm ammo, when you can find it, is loaded to .40 S&W spec's. It's unimpressive as a big game cartridge unless Double Tap ammo or it's equivalent is used. Even most handloading information is at .40 S&W levels unless a person is willing to investigate and experiment to find true 10mm performance.

As another poster said, your logic makes no sense. If you can't hit a mt lion with 4 shots, I'm not real sure having 15-16 would make much difference. All you do is miss more, and I never was into the "spray and pray" method of shooting.

One shot through the chest with a decent load from a .45 Colt will drop a mt lion quick, and I don't shoot to scare something away.

I have a couple of Vaqueros in .45 Colt, and I've used them as both primary and back-up while hunting. For me they aren't a "make due" proposition, since I bought them specifically for that purpose.

And they do the job mighty well. This one's been carried across and over a lot of country in the last 7 or 8 years, and both the firearm and the holster are showing a little well deserved wear. The action is butter-smooth, and it shoots to POA with my heavy loads. I've modified it a bit to suit my needs (bead blasted, Wolff springs, Belt Mtn base pin, sights adjusted, cylinder gap tightened to .002, made my own grips, etc), and I've sure enjoyed using it.

And I don't feel handicapped in having "only" 6 cartridges in the gun. 6 is more than enough if you know how to use them.

Daryl

WorkhorsePP.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
What do Y'all think?
I think it would be perfectly ok :) . Not a bad price either. Perfect backup pistol. I can't understand why some are suggesting 'hot' .45 Colt when standard .45 Colt will do the job just fine 'as a backup'. My '06 is/was my primary hunting weapon. Not like you are going to meet a Cape Buffalo/Rhino in the woods..... And you do want to be able to get in a follow-up shot.... if necessary... I would be more concerned with shot placement than a bigger boom. But that's just me ..... I don't hunt anymore but do walk in the woods now and then... .45 Colt is juuuust fine at the distances I am going to 'need it' .

And I don't feel handicapped in having "only" 6 cartridges in the gun. 6 is more than enough if you know how to use them.
ditto....

00cummins4x4

Bearcat
Thank you all for your input. I think she is going to get a down payment today. I would definately agree with your pro-six shooter comments in CA we can only load three shots in our rifles and I can get the job done. But just in case I think I wouldn't mind having the .45 colt at my side to back up my Marlin.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I can't understand why some are suggesting 'hot' .45 Colt when standard .45 Colt will do the job just fine 'as a backup'

Same reason some folks load .44 mag ammo while hunting, instead of loading .44 specials. As long as the person can shoot the loads well, it doesn't hurt a thing.

Daryl

Knuckles

Buckeye
I think the only thing I've learned is to get the cylinder throats checked for consistency... I had a Bkackhawk 45LC that flung lead everywhere but where I wanted it to go, so I sold it only to hear about this simple fix... Oh well.

Vaqueros... Good guns... love 'em.

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
I often carry either the 3-5/8" or 4-3/4" .45 Colt Vaquero when woods loafing.
I don't feel at a disadvantage with either one.
There is nothing faster to the first shot than a good single action revolver.
With just a little practice you will find that it shoots where you look and you won't even remember if you used the sights or not.

Jack

dougader

Hunter
$400 is a good price if its in good condition.

For a primary hunting handgun I'd definitely prefer a BH with adjustable sights. As a back up weapon I'd have no problem with a Vaquero in 45 Colt.

Hugh

Buckeye
CraigC":17pkhcjv said:
Nite Ryder":17pkhcjv said:
This logic makes no sense to me whatsoever. Ever since Glock came out with the model 20 folks have been dreaming up situations where they need a sporting pistol that holds a dozen or more cartridges. If you can't get the job done with six, you either need to practice or stay home.

Kinda like my way of thinking. I don't want to get in a firefight with it. I just want to stop it. Ruger M77 .308 and Ruger revolver. Usta be 4" Security Six .357 until my acquisition of a .44 Magnum Redhawk and Vaquero last year. Backup will probably change to one of them.

00cummins4x4

Bearcat
I want thank you all for the help. I bit the bullet today (no pun intended) and put a down payment on it and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I looked at her again today and I knew I had to have her. I can't wait to shoot it. Sorry if I'm rambling guys but I'm still excited lol. Help me out guys I want to see some vaqueros with different grips. I want to get rid the immatation ivory and either go with pearls or wood I haven't decided yet. Post em up guys and thanks again!

Nite Ryder

Bearcat
CraigC":nzn4olpv said:
Nite Ryder":nzn4olpv said:

That might very well be the case. I visit our local range every Wednesday. My friend that is the bow hunter said all he could think about as that Cougar got closer, was that he had only two shots left in his gun. You might be real quick and a 'fancy shot', but try a Cougar coming through the brush at you. You might find out how scared even you could be, when you do your laundry. I have quite a choice in single action Rugers I could use. However the ported barrel on the Glock makes it a bit faster to get back on target. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Glock lover, I have only one of them, I have 23 single action Rugers. Do any of you shoot competition? I use Vaqero's in competition, I know how fast you can get off ten aimed shots.

Nite Ryder

Bearcat
AzRebel":1it9etjz said:
Nite Ryder":1it9etjz said:

Gee, does he hunt with an AR-15 w/30 round mags, too?

Most 10mm ammo, when you can find it, is loaded to .40 S&W spec's. It's unimpressive as a big game cartridge unless Double Tap ammo or it's equivalent is used. Even most handloading information is at .40 S&W levels unless a person is willing to investigate and experiment to find true 10mm performance.

As another poster said, your logic makes no sense. If you can't hit a mt lion with 4 shots, I'm not real sure having 15-16 would make much difference. All you do is miss more, and I never was into the "spray and pray" method of shooting.

One shot through the chest with a decent load from a .45 Colt will drop a mt lion quick, and I don't shoot to scare something away.

I have a couple of Vaqueros in .45 Colt, and I've used them as both primary and back-up while hunting. For me they aren't a "make due" proposition, since I bought them specifically for that purpose.

And they do the job mighty well. This one's been carried across and over a lot of country in the last 7 or 8 years, and both the firearm and the holster are showing a little well deserved wear. The action is butter-smooth, and it shoots to POA with my heavy loads. I've modified it a bit to suit my needs (bead blasted, Wolff springs, Belt Mtn base pin, sights adjusted, cylinder gap tightened to .002, made my own grips, etc), and I've sure enjoyed using it.

Daryl

WorkhorsePP.jpg

Think what ever you want about the 10 MM cartridge. It's obvious from your post you don't own a gun that uses that round, nor do you know anything about it. I have two revolvers that can fire either the 40 S&W or the 10 MM, one uses moon clips the other is a single action, there is a big difference in recoil.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Think what ever you want about the 10 MM cartridge. It's obvious from your post you don't own a gun that uses that round, nor do you know anything about it.

No, I don't own one...any more. I sold it after having it a few months. It didn't do it for me.

I handloaded, and shot some factory stuff too.

You don't have to take my word for it. Get a chronograph. It's a fact that most 10mm ammo available off the gun store shelves is loaded to .40 S&W spec's. Look up the load data online and compare them; they're awfully close to the same, and are oft-times listed exactly the same.

So don't wet on my leg and tell me it's raining. I know that of what I speak.

Daryl