Help Support Ruger Forum:

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
Mine are both dated My 25th, 2010
Serial numbers 58-99505 and 58-99506

Yes I did and it's VERY accurate :)

tmgreene

Bearcat
Mine are 58-99215 and 216 I wonder if your are the last made of these . Keep them together if you can, do you know if any were produced in between our #s

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
I'm not certain, I have not heard of any higher than my 506 so far but doesn't mean there may not be one.

I don't think they ran the serial numers straight through, I think they stopped for awhile and then started again when they did the cleanup and just slipped in the serial numbers inline with everything else being produced at the time.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
This thread caused me to lose my San Diego Sheriff gun :(

A former SD deputy had been wanting one real bad for years (could not afford it when he worked there) and stumbled onto this thread. He saw my pic, contacted me, and made me an offer. After a little negotiation, it became clear that he wanted it more than I did. So now it has a new home.

When I dug out the wood/glass case for him, I found that my badge was indeed one of the Sterling versions, and was so marked on the back.

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
When I was making the post with my two serial numbers the other day I got distracted and something I forgot to mention was that my two guns are not 100% identical. #505 has a different ejector rod lever shape than #506. The one ending in 506 has an ejector rod lever that looks like most of the other .40 S&W commemorative models that I have seen and like the original Vaqueros (which they are) but the one that ends in 505 has an ejector rod lever that's cresent shaped like the New Vaqueros. Other than that they are identical though the 505 also has a slightly deeper, richer grain pattern and color to the rosewood grips than the 506 but that seems to be random chance with all of these. Most I have seen are closer to my 506 but I have seen a few others in pictures that seem to show the richer colors and grains of the 505, like I said, that one just seems to be totally random chance. I still have no idea how the 505 ended up with the newer style cresent shaped ejector rod lever. I bought them both brand new and it was like that when I got it.

I actually called Ruger, checked both serial numbers with the "History" department which they verified to be authentic SDSA models (the History dept doesnt distinguish between the original run and the cleanups but will tell you the official production date). I ask her about the ejector rod and she didn't know but transfered me to another location and that woman said it was no doubt a mistake in final assembly since all the New Vaqueros have that style of ejector rod she said someone probably grabbed the wrong version during assembly but the wierd part is she said since it's a factory mistake they need to get the gun back in to them so they can correct it. Offered to have it picked up at their expense. I said no thanks and she actually got a little pushy saying it was "very important" that they correct this, just a little pushy.

Not near as pushy as they were over my 60th Anniversary Edition New Vaquero made for Ruger by Talo though. A friend at the local dealership called me when they got in a pair of them and said he thought it was something I'd like, especially since when he was checking them in he noticed that one had a 4.62" barrel which was odd because it shows on the box to be a 5.5" barrel and in the literature they only show to offer a 5.5" barrel. Before leaving to drive by I looked up the edition online and everything I found said verified all 60th Anniversary editions were 5.5" and the ones I could find online were all 5.5", but when I got to the store sure enough one of the two he had was 5.5" but the other was the shorter 4.62" barrel. So from the store we called Rugers history department and they verified that both serial numbers were indeed Talo 60th Anniversary Special Editions with 5.5" barrels and told us the manufacture dates. I told the lady one of them had a 4.62" barrel, she put me on hold to check and come back and said no such gun was produced, all the the 60th Annv models were supposed to be 5.5" and I told her I was standing here holding them side by side and one was definatally 4.62" and both are brand new, the dealer had just gotten them that very morning. So she said let her transfer me to another deptartment. While I was on the phone waiting on the transfer he (my dealer) called his distributor and they verified the guns were brand new, sent to him just like they had gotten them from Ruger. After the next woman came on the line we talked about it, I explaned it to her and what the first woman had verified and she checked and said it was not supposed to have that barrel length and that while she never actually admited that someone at the factory could have made a mistake, she still said they needed to get the gun sent back to them so they could fix it. I said I like it like this (I didn't tell her I hadn't even bought it yet) and she said it didn't matter. I said WHAT? She said they HAD to correct that and I HAD to send it back to them and that she would arrange to have it picked up at no expense to me and they would fix it (ie. put a 5.5" barrel on it) and then return it to me all at no expense to me. I said I'm keeping it that way and she actually got kinda agressive and tried to tell me I was legally obligated to return it and could get in troubble with the ATF and some other BS. I said I like it this way, there is nothing wrong with it mechanically that I can see, it's beyond being a beautiful piece, and I didn't want it fixed. She started going on about how it HAS to be sent back to be fixed and I did not hang up on her but in the middle of her rant my cell phone just happend to drop out. Well, I went ahead and bought the gun and you know later on she called me back using the caller ID and still tried to convince me that I was somehow obligated to return it and let them fix it! I finally just said I wasn't and then I called a friend who works with the ATF office in VA and he said BS! the ATF could care less about Rugers mistake in the length of the barrel put on it as long as the seriial numbers all match and match the paperwork. But that woman from Ruger actually contunied to call and leave messages on my VM several more times over the next two weeks. In one even saying "I'm calling to find out the address and when we can have that Anniversary edition gun picked up".

Gezzz, talk about pushy.

A

Anonymous

wow, thats a great thing you guys did. my father has worked for lasd for 30 years and he plans on retiring soon. my family was hoping to get a commemorative fire arm but for the lasd, is that something you may be able to point me in a direction for?

pvq

Bearcat
Just thought that I would share I just scored a Vaquero .40 S&W. Serial Number is 57-8XXXX series. Box is marked KBNV-404SW and the model is 515. This seems to be a low serial number and I imagine was one of the 200 that went out to dealers. The warnings are roll marked on the left side of the barrel. I bought it used but it is in unfired condition (at least until Monday.) I really didn't want to spend the money but COULDN'T pass it up!

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Reviving an old thread here. I recently had to say yes to one of these San Diego Sheriff Vaquero's in 40S&W. (Thanks Todd! Thanks to the forum I figured out what this is.) Turns out from reading this thread, that what I bought was one of the 50-75 "Mistake" guns from the run. Thought someone might like to see what a mistake gun looks like. Note the engraving on the bottom of the first S is messed up as is the bottom right on the last F. Then the whole engraving is set crooked. No wonder they fired the first engraver. It's quirky but it's kinda neat having one of 50-75 of something Ruger made.

IMG_0916 (2).jpg

TomD

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice find there TomD!!!

I was lucky enough several years ago to see one of the unmarked guns,, (of the approximately 200 never finished,, 57 prefix) in a pawn shop. It sat there for a while,, and when I returned a few weeks later,, it was still there.
I negotiated a very good price on it,, and as we were finishing the paperwork,, one of the other employees came over,, looked at it & said; "Uh-oh,, I've got a guy driving over here just for that gun!"
Too late on his part. And,,ALMOST too late on my part.
:D :D