Vaquero .40 S&W San Diego Sheriff Commemorative

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Is it marked with the SDSD logo?
I have one of those guns. They were a special run. Mine isn't marked & I have mine valued at $650.00.

Terry T

Buckeye
It may seem counter intuitive, but I'm not seeing a huge increase in value for these sort of boxed commeratives at this time. Most are put aside in safes and not used. Not a lot of Ruger Collectors at this time. It's all about supply and demand and the demand for safe queens for collectors just doesn't seem to me to be all that strong.
In other words, maybe a $100 to $200 premium over a normal Vaquero.
Seems to me to be more market for 'shooters' than for 'safe queens' at this time.

"Contender" says about $650 and I'd suggest maybe another $100 or so to $750 plus or minus $50 for the logo and box.

I have one of the late issued 'clean up' ones - warning under the barrel. Less than 100 made up with out the SDSD logo.
Less than 1,000 of the original run and maybe only 800 with the logos.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Terry T

k22fan

Blackhawk
Mean while back home on planet earth …

Unfired new in box commemoratives with all their original do-dads an brochures sell for about the same price undecorated but other wise identical used production guns without their boxes in 90 to 95% condition. An unfired NIB undecorated production gun is worth substantially more than a NIB commemorative. Most buyers either buy commemoratives to get substantially different features that were never offered in production guns like different chamberings or barrel profiles or to get a lower price. The collector of unfired commemoratives, if he actually exists, must be panting in the back of Big Foot's cave, exhausted after running away from yet another throng of commemorative sellers.

Welcome to planet earth.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
More of these made then the scarcer, harder to find, and expensive 38-40/40 S&W Dist. exclusives. The marked San Diego Sheriff Commemorative make great fodder for someone that wants to easily make a 38-40.

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I want one for a 10mm conversion,lol. I saw a non marked model once and passed because I was not into 40S&W, later I thought about a 10mm conversion and went back to get it and it was gone...

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Here on "Planet Earth", I'd assign a value you can live with and make that the starting price on auction. Commemorative aside, someone may be more interested in it because of its caliber and folks these days will pay for what they want, or someone else will.

Best O Luck to ya.

Terry T

Buckeye
Photos would be nice, but, yes, we're familiar with it. "Contender" has one with the logo and I have one without.
I'm just not ready to go $900 for it at this time.
Terry T