Vaquero 40 S&W New Old model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Is it just me, or is 3/4 of this thread a complete waste of space. For crying out loud, we know what the guy meant. Too bad it wasn't in 45 LONG COLT! Then we'd really have problems! :roll:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Jayhawkhuntclub":2voyeomq said:
For crying out loud, we know what the guy meant.
Welcome to 2010 where education is in the toilet, the English language is becoming increasingly lazy and "you know what I mean" is good enough. What's next, textspeak? Wut r u up 2??? :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
OK...back to the Vaquero "cleanup gun" in .40 S&W.
Heard there were 13 that were received through Davidson's. These guns aren't necessarily special order or Davidson's would be ordering the minimum 100 or so that are required. They are "cleanup" guns though and any distributor can get them...the distributor just has to be observant enough to claim them before another distributor does.
I've had four of these .40's reported to me so far...sn's 58-99224, 58-99226, 58-99230 and 58-99234. If your sn is different from this, please send me a PM so I can add it to my reference.
And for those true collectors out there.....this may be the only 13 "cleanup" .40's that Ruger ever does. Remember that "the Warning address is rollmarked on the bottom of the barrel!!"
Chet15

tmgreene

Bearcat
Yea I get free 40. ammo also that is why I bought this gun I will send a pic . It sound like some 40 vaqueros were produced in 2010. Another one is out there with a test fired case 1-20-10 . The lady at ruger at fist thought it was a new model but it had the old model # . I wonder how many clean ups were made this year.
Thanks
TG

tmgreene

Bearcat
I saw the 40 vaquero at my gun store today , it had the warning on the bottom of the barrel also it had a Davidson paper with the manual . I was looking around the net and I saw a model with a lower serial # but the warning was on the side of the barrel . The one I bought had nice laminated grips. I hope its brother when it gets here is just as nice, But damm can I even shoot the twins or would that bad!!!
I think I should get one more to shoot

flatgate

Hawkeye
Terry T":ik4gwdws said:
Let's see if I have this right.

First generation Blackhawks are not marked "Old Model Blackhawks" but it's OK to call them "Old Model Blackhawks" and first generation Vaqueros are not marked "Old Model Vaqueros" but it is NOT OK to call them "Old Model Vaqueros".

I DO understand that Ruger, themselves, started referring to the first generation Blackhawks as "Old Models" in order to do the court required safety repairs.

Terry T

This discussion has degraded to the point that the facts have been overlooked. The "post '72" Ruger Single Actions are indeed marked with the New Model nomenclature.

SR&Co., developed the "New Model" Lockwork for their Single-Action revolvers in the interest of preventing any such United States Government intervention. WBR was way ahead of the "curve" with respect to the legal aspects of producing Single Action Revolvers. This "thought process" is well documented within the pages of R.L. Wilson's "Ruger and His Guns". The information presented within the pages of the above referenced book is amazing. Yes, there are errors in the "Production Records Serial Numbers", but a more accurate list appears in the Red Eagle News Exchange supplied Ruger Reference. More data, with some really nice images, appears in Ruger Pistols and Revolvers, by John Dougan.

I'm a huge fan of calling the guns what they are, especially when the Factory's labeling appears as a rollmark on the cylinder frame.

flatgate

Terry T

Buckeye
Chad,
You can add ser. no. 58-99210 and 58-99211 to your list. :D
Fellow I bought from originally had 7.
Terry T

Glupy

Blackhawk
Kuna, Idaho - a sparkling jewel in a park-like set
Here is an "old" Vaquero in 38-40/40 S&W if you want a comparison.

God must have gone to a great party the evening before this revolver was made.

005.jpg

Dave

tmgreene

Bearcat
TerryT
Looks like you grabbed a couple I have 58-99214 and 215 Are you going to shoot those boys or put them away for a while, we must of got them from the same guy, Post a pic when you can mine are still in the gunstore 10 day waiting.
TG

Hugh

Buckeye
CraigC":38e5987n said:
Terry T":38e5987n said:
In other brands, folks refer to generations of variations.
That would make plenty of sense were it not for the present nomenclature of Old Model and New Model that is already so ingrained.

It would not be valid for the fixed sight guns. Because they are not two different "generations" of Vaqueros. They are Vaqueros and New Vaqueros. Note the capitalization. "Vaquero" and "New Vaquero" are two distinct names, confusing only to those who make it so. Not unlike New York, New Orleans, New Jersey, New Hampshire, etc. Do you think the folks who live in the European cities those US cities are named after started calling them "Old" to differentiate??? Uh, no. Just call them what they are, it's stamped right on the frame. Everybody's innate need to add descriptors to avoid confusion yields the opposite result.

Concur. I prefer to call it by the designation printed on the frame. Mine is a Vaquero.

street

Hunter
tmgreene":s1hkjqew said:
I love it when people get cranky and smart mouth me over the computer . I best watch my "Verbiageeeeee" round here

That's all right, by calling your Vaquero an Old Model he knew exactly what you were talking about. It's your gun you can call it what you want. Just think, in order to have a "New Vaquero" there must be a "Old Vaquero".

street

Hunter
Hugh":1nlscp9u said:
CraigC":1nlscp9u said:
Terry T":1nlscp9u said:
In other brands, folks refer to generations of variations.
That would make plenty of sense were it not for the present nomenclature of Old Model and New Model that is already so ingrained.

It would not be valid for the fixed sight guns. Because they are not two different "generations" of Vaqueros. They are Vaqueros and New Vaqueros. Note the capitalization. "Vaquero" and "New Vaquero" are two distinct names, confusing only to those who make it so. Not unlike New York, New Orleans, New Jersey, New Hampshire, etc. Do you think the folks who live in the European cities those US cities are named after started calling them "Old" to differentiate??? Uh, no. Just call them what they are, it's stamped right on the frame. Everybody's innate need to add descriptors to avoid confusion yields the opposite result.

Concur. I prefer to call it by the designation printed on the frame. Mine is a Vaquero.

If you call a gun by what printed on it's frame!!! What would you call a Super Single-Six, a Lightweight, and a Bearcat. Take a look at what's stamped on their frame and you might just change your mind on using that to give a gun a model number.

brkncolt

Bearcat
Hello all I am new to this forum. I have one of the .40 s&w rugers with the serial number starting with 57 I have seen another .40 vaquero that had the rollmark on the botton of the barrel. Thought it was trick photography or something..The grips were different also..cocobolo colored almost like ones i have seen on blackhawks. Are the grips different on the "clean-up" guns compared to the pre-"2005" rugers :?:

chet15":1md7z5gd said:
Heard there were 13 that were received through Davidson's. These guns aren't necessarily special order or Davidson's would be ordering the minimum 100 or so that are required. They are "cleanup" guns though and any distributor can get them...the distributor just has to be observant enough to claim them before another distributor does.
I've had four of these .40's reported to me so far...sn's 58-99224, 58-99226, 58-99230 and 58-99234. If your sn is different from this, please send me a PM so I can add it to my reference.
And for those true collectors out there.....this may be the only 13 "cleanup" .40's that Ruger ever does. Remember that "the Warning address is rollmarked on the bottom of the barrel!!"
Chet15

Chad, my s/n is 58-99496. Must be a seperate run. Mfg is May/2010. My barrel address WAS on the bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately, the ejector rod hsg came of after the first round was fired. Now I have a new barrel and the address is on the side........ Kinda rare now! :lol:

Dave :wink:

Olsherm

Blackhawk
Haven't chimed in on this before because I thought it was pretty "silly" to be correcting or chastising anyone for saying anything(free speech) if you want to get technical you could call it and "old Model because it is not cataloged anymore just like if you talked about and "old chevrolet you might say it was an older model. Just let people call them what they want to call them. A fellow corrected me the other day for calling a set of grips(pueter) as he said it was (pewter). Which was ok except he couldn't spell another word in his correction note to me.However i was glad he corrected me as it was in the classified section. I will call them old models,new models or whatever i want to call them. SO THERE! JMHO

brkncolt

Bearcat
gunbroker had or has one of the .40 vaquero "clean-up" guns new in the box for $520 ...At least as of last night there were no bids....Might be relisted. Guns america had 2 or three of them.

SouthernGypsy

Bearcat
You've got some that were made just before mine, I have 58-99505 and 58-99506, the distributor that mine came from said they started with 8 and have been selling them in "Pairs" with sequential serial numbers but that these two were the last two that he had. I had to buy both even though I only really wanted one. So far they have had the two highest serial numbers that I have seen reported though the gentalman who said he's keeping track might have heard of higher numbers. I'm curious how many total there are of these .40 S&W clean-up models.

Heliman":t8e16l8i said:
chet15":t8e16l8i said:
Chet15

Chad, my s/n is 58-99496. Must be a seperate run. Mfg is May/2010. My barrel address WAS on the bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately, the ejector rod hsg came of after the first round was fired. Now I have a new barrel and the address is on the side........ Kinda rare now! :lol:

Dave :wink:

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
I think the only answer here is for Ruger to recall all guns that have "Blackhawk" or "Vaquero" stamped on them in order to rename them. This is a serious defect which requires immediate action. If this isn't done soon, even more internet threads will be at risk.

gak

Buckeye
Craig is right. I agree this isn't that hard, though admittedly "finally" it IS confused by Ruger's calling its new New Vaquero .44 Specials (and perhaps others per the website?) "Vaquero," as my new Sheriff .44 NV is marked. I can remember easily enough an anomaly such as any .44 Special marked guns are mid-framed. New Vaqueros. However, if Ruger truly is calling any other calibers in its new production mid-framed guns "just Vaquero" now, we are going to have to start paying closer attention!

Still--at least to date--it has never confused me "seriously." If you've owned or handled the various V's and NV's, you know the NV's tell-tale high/back swept hammer and--admittedly more nuanced--the gun's trimmer size and smaller gripframe/narrower backstrap--and crescent ejector head (except Montados and Sheriffs...which of course have the large framed Vaquero's design in that area. Whew!) Rugers latest labeling exercise has, unfortunately, meantthat--even if we could before--we can no longer "just" go by what's labeled on the gun. The .44 Special "Vaquero" IS a New Vaquero. .

Unless "Model" is truly an issue--as in Pre vs Post 73 actions--just don't use the term "Model"!! Call things what you will....except...Even if you say "old Vaquero" which I have before (along with "large," "large frame" and "original"), please don't say "Model"!
There! :)

gak

Buckeye
Craig is right. I agree this isn't that hard, though admittedly "finally" it IS confused by Ruger's calling its new New Vaquero .44 Specials (and perhaps others per the website?) "Vaquero," as my new Sheriff .44 NV is marked. I can remember easily enough an anomaly such as any .44 Special marked guns are mid-framed. New Vaqueros. However, if Ruger truly is calling any other calibers in its new production mid-framed guns "just Vaquero" now, we are going to have to start paying closer attention!

Still--at least to date--it has never confused me "seriously." If you've owned or handled the various V's and NV's, you know the NV's tell-tale high/back swept hammer and--admittedly more nuanced--the gun's trimmer size and smaller gripframe/narrower backstrap--and crescent ejector head (except Montados and Sheriffs...which of course have the large framed Vaquero's design in that area. Whew!) Rugers latest labeling exercise has, unfortunately, meantthat--even if we could before--we can no longer "just" go by what's labeled on the gun. The .44 Special "Vaquero" IS a New Vaquero. .

Unless "Model" is truly an issue--as in Pre vs Post 73 actions--just don't use the term "Model"!! Call things what you will....except...Even if you say "old Vaquero" which I have before (along with "large," "large frame" and "original"), please don't say "Model"!
There! :)

Latest posts