Value???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
I've noticed several discontinued models for sale on Gunbroker or somewhere else that are unfired and brand new in box, and still cheaper than new firearms that are still in production...When Ruger discontinues a particular firearm...at what point, if any...does the firearm gain value?...

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, when a firearm is discontinued, usually because of slow sales, the drop the price to distributors who in turn turn them at discounted prices. About a year or two later, after the general public figures it out, the prices get up there to about $25-$75 more than a current similar model. Then depending upon the popularity of something as time goes on, the price can stabalize or continue to rise. Example; Vaqueros. They were replaced with the New Vaquero. Many of the Vaqueros were "dumped" into the market, at very fair prices, and within a year or so, the prices were higher than New Vaqueros in general. Especially for calibers not available in the New Vaquero. The 44 mag comes to mind. Yet, they haven't jumped way ahead of the New Vaqueros in prices in many places, but they are getting more & more so. And a bit harder to get in certain configurations.

street

Hunter
CATTLEDAWG":atwefwml said:
When Ruger discontinues a particular firearm...at what point, if any...does the firearm gain value?...

If I could predict that, I would have bought every Brass Frame guns I saw in 1972 and 1973. No one knows what is going to increase in value so just buy the guns that you like. If they go up in value then you win. If they don't go up then you still win because you like the guns that you have.

chet15

Hawkeye
At least if a person buys a new gun today, no matter what it is (as long as it is made by a good manufacturer, Ruger, Colt S&W etc), then at least you will have some equity value in the future...even if it doesn't turn out to be a collectible "rare" gun.
But then there's inflation too, so it may be a wash...but still, making a few bucks over what you had in it originally can be satisfying.
Chet15