Value of Blackhawk Convertible 44M/44-40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatordome

Bearcat
I have a Blackhawk Convertible 44 mag / 44-40 that I am thinking of selling. It has been shot a few times, but is in excellent shape. No blue wear except for slight cylinder rings. Chambers on the 44/40 cylinder have been reamed to bring all of them into spec. It is in the original yellow box and cardboard sleeve with original manual. I am looking for an estimate of the value of the revolver. Could not find any sales on Gunbroker or Guns America for comparison. I'll post some pictures when I get around to taking them. I would appreciate any advice on determining what to ask for it. Thanks.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
There were only about 1200 made, so most of them will have 3 digit serial numbers (87-00xxx). If it has a 2 digit SN, it can bring a premium.

I have quite a pile of these and value my low 2 digit guns at $1500, higher 2 digits at $1300, and the 3 digits mostly at $1200. The most I ever paid for one was $1112.50 but that was back in 2010 for a 2 digit that filled an inside straight for a consecutive triple.

Johnnu2

Hunter
There were only about 1200 made, so most of them will have 3 digit serial numbers (87-00xxx). If it has a 2 digit SN, it can bring a premium.

I have quite a pile of these and value my low 2 digit guns at $1500, higher 2 digits at $1300, and the 3 digits mostly at $1200. The most I ever paid for one was $1112.50 but that was back in 2010 for a 2 digit that filled an inside straight for a consecutive triple.
IMHO, WMG is right on the money... I'm no collector, but in today's crazy world of prices, I would speculate that if you put your gun on Gunbroker, there are enough crazies with plenty of money, that you would score BIG TIME with that caliber combination...

J

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Do not forget(study up)..there are fewer two cylinder guns than the total build. Off the top of my head, 8xx two cylinder and 3xx single cylinder, done for Jerry's Sports South.......On my way to church, so go see what Dougan notes......Splitz

gatordome

Bearcat
Weaselmeatgravy, thanks for the update. My serial number is in the 87-01xxx range, so it was made late in the run. I hadn't really considered putting it on Gunbroker, but a local friend expressed some interest in it. If he doesn't take it, then I might put it up for auction.

Johnnu2

Hunter
gatordome, just wondering how many private messages (PM's) you received on this gun...?

Did you sell it yet...??? :)

J.

gatordome

Bearcat
Not sold yet, and no PM's so far. I'm still waiting to hear from my friend who will get first crack at it. He has school-aged kids, so his money has other priorities right now. If he doesn't take it, I might put it up for sale here but I'm not in a rush to do that.