Value of a Ruger Number 1 Light Sporter in 22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

antique41

Bearcat
I have reached the point in my life where I must start to sell my collection and not leave a mess for my wife. I have a Ruger Number 1 Light Sporter in .22 Hornet that I bought years ago. It has been fired less than 20 rounds. It is the first edition that was produced for less than 1000 units before Ruger decided to make it in a varmint rifle with a heavy barrel. A recent search has shown me that there is a new edition of this rifle. Can anyone give me a fair value for my rifle? TIA

RSIno1

Hunter
I'd say $1,100-1,500 up depending on wood and condition. Also original box and papers will add to it.
In Clayton's book it lists the 1A in 22H as a non catalog gun made in 1987-88-89. After that is was offered in the 1B in 1990-91 and again in 1993. In 1994 it was cataloged in 1B through and maybe beyond1996 where the Clayton book ends their listings

antique41

Bearcat
Thank you for your response. The rifle is like new and I do have the box, but I cant remember if I have any of the papers that came with it.

It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Right now on Gunbroker people are asking some ridiculous prices and I keep seeing the same ones listed over and over. A pretty good indication that they are asking too much.
If I was selling it I would be asking in the $1200 range, probably take a little less.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
As I recall, there were 43x produced of this model. They seldom appear and of course, are some 35 years old. Most of that run had very decent wood. The vast majority were done for a single distributor, until they and the WBR team got into a whiz contest about whose firearms the distributor would carry.............I think they are worth at least 1500, as a full pkg and/or with superb matching sides wood............JMO, as usual Splitz