Value of a "Refurbished" Type 1 Flatop Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AlleyOop

Bearcat
Within the last three weeks I've been to two gunshows in Texas and New Mexico where a vendor has tried to sell a .357 4 5/8" Flatop that has been refinished and the sides of the hammer "jeweled". The s/n is 3965 and it has the correct front sight, ejector housing and button, and black hard rubber checkered grips for a Type I. The new finish seems to be well done and I could not see any pitting or other blemishes under the finishes on the steel or alloy parts. The guy has a $1000 price tag on the revolver without any indication that it is a refurbished piece.

So, what is the value of a complete but refurbished Type 1? I may make him an offer if he shows up at the next regional show I attend.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hmm, interesting question. Me? I wouldn't pay much over $500 for a refinished Type I unless the s/n "fit" in my collection. Dyed in the wool collectors want ORIGINAL condition guns, period.

Of course, the "I want it" factor weighs heavily in such occasions......

I got this total Beater Type I for a Ben Franklin, but, that was over 10 years ago....

17819995.jpg

I had to supply a proper set of grips and a OM .357 pawl to make the gun kinda "right".

flatgate

AlleyOop

Bearcat
I have a "mature" Type 1 with a serial number close to the refurbished revolver . . .

0220080001.jpg

. . . and I'm tempted to buy it to put together a "before and after display" but I'm having trouble convincing myself to spend money I could use toward acquiring an unadulterated Blackhawk to buy a refurbished one. :roll:

chet15

Hawkeye
A rule we've lived by for a long time, is don't buy refinished Rugers unless you are going to shoot them or unless they are super cheap.
If and when the time ever comes to sell such a gun, by far the larger majority of collectors out there know that if they have a little patience they will be able to find a similar gun out there with original finish, and usually 98% or better original finish.
Reblues are dead weight.
Chet15

AlleyOop

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice fellows. I would probably insult the guy, but I'm not prepared to offer him more than $350. I would treat it as a shooter if I got it since I have all the legitimate "safe queens" I want right now and I don't want to start another category of "mint refurbished" Blackhawks. :)

chet15":34dbg46n said:
A rule we've lived by for a long time, is don't buy refinished Rugers unless you are going to shoot them or unless they are super cheap.
If and when the time ever comes to sell such a gun, by far the larger majority of collectors out there know that if they have a little patience they will be able to find a similar gun out there with original finish, and usually 98% or better original finish.
Reblues are dead weight.
Chet15

Well just remember there are a lot of NON COLLECTORS out there that just want a nice old Ruger.
I sold a fresh reblue from Ruger BKH-34 , no transfer bar, for $500 to a non collector.
He was as happy as could be.
Bottom line other people other than collectors buy old Rugers. I think I are one
I have sold a few.
Jim

Jim's right about that.

One collector's "dead weight" is a shooter's "nice old Flattop". Us "accumulators" appreciate them and give them good homes.

And as mentioned, $500 would be at the upper end of this category.

:)

radicalrod

Hunter
GOSH all I want to know is where are you guys buying these 350 dollar "beaters FLAT TOPS"....certainly NOT at the shows I go too....hard to find a "shooter" single six for $350 laying on a table.....I am not saying they are worth these prices BUT I sure see'em priced like they are....OK lets really open the "CAN OF WORMS".......seems lots of guns "AGE WELL" .....is it that some safes have secret storage preservation systems ????? Not a big deal to me if it is done right...who wants to look at a piece of junk.....heck most of all the early 357's were FACTORY REBLUED several times....that's why they are so purty :D :D :D sure it will affect the price but not everyone needs or can afford a MINT shooter..... see ya RR

AlleyOop

Bearcat
Wyandot Jim,

I knocked my proposed offering price down to $350 because of the "pimped up" jeweling of the hammer. If the revolver appeared the way it did when it left the factory (like those in your post) I might consider paying a little more for it.

Guess I'm too much of a purist.

I picked up this "unadulterated" BKH34 off GB a while back for $380 plus $25 shipping:

1970BKH34Blackhawk1.jpg

Every once in awhile this blind pig finds an acorn . . . :)

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I bought a 4 5/8" 357 Flattop this fall at the gunshow that was in nice shape, blue-wise. I paid $400.00 for it. It had been converted, and there was a chip missing in one of the hard rubber factory grips, but it was a nice condition original finish Flattop. I even had a Flattop at home that had been drilled and tapped but with the original lockwork, so I could have switched the parts. What did I do? I was in a money raising frame of mind, so I put it back on the table for $550.00 and took an offer of $500.00 for it about a half hour after I put it back out. Maybe I should have kept it, but I think there are more out there. By the serial number, it was made in 1958.

AlleyOop":2s67txfv said:
Wyandot Jim,

I knocked my proposed offering price down to $350 because of the "pimped up" jeweling of the hammer. If the revolver appeared the way it did when it left the factory (like those in your post) I might consider paying a little more for it.

Guess I'm too much of a purist.

I picked up this "unadulterated" BKH34 off GB a while back for $380 plus $25 shipping:

1970BKH34Blackhawk1.jpg

Every once in awhile this blind pig finds and acorn . . . :)

Yep The OMs seem to me to be some of the most fantastic deals out there.
Well I might think that because I just love them. I don't understand how guys can pass them up. About the same price as a NM and ya don't get the cylinder ring. Yea Yea I know all the fixs to make the NM almost like a OM just throw $200 or so at them. :lol: I also have a few of the NMs
That pimp hammer can be depimped with a little wet dry :D
Jim

PAPA-T

Bearcat
I JUST BOUGHT A 1969 BLACKHAWK 357 MAG FOR $225 AND SENT IT TO RUGER FOR THE SAFETY FIX, REFURBISHING AND NEW ORIGINAL DARK WALNUR GRIPS. REFURBISHING AND ORIGIAL DARK WALNUT GRIPS,COST ME $130 NEW SAFETY AND SHIPPING WAS FREE! GOT IT BACK THIS THURSDAY AND IT IS PROBALY THE BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT ON A REVOLVER. CAME BACK LOOKING TOO PRETTY TO EVEN LOAD! (F0R NOW ANYWAY) HAVE PLENTY OTHERS TO PLINK WITH. SAW A 1970 NIB AT A SHOW IN OCALA FL. LAST WEEK AND THE GUY WANTED $595 FOR IT, SAID HE DID'T CARE ABOUT THE SAFETY ISSUE, I ASKED HIM IF HE'D EVER TAKEN A BULLET. NO BEING HIS ANSER, I TOLD HIM HE WAS A MORON AND HIS ATTITUDE WOULD CHANGE AS SOON AS HE RECIEVED AN AGSW. BESIDES THAT, THEY EVEN SEND YOU ALL THE ORIGINAL PARTS SO IT CAN BE RETURNED TO "COLLECTORS STATUS." AS YOU ALL PROBABLY KNOW, THE MSRP ON A BRAND NEW 357 SINGLE ACTION IS $575 SO ANY MORE THAN THAT IS NOT A GOOD DEAL. FOR ANY NIB BUT I PERSONALLY LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE"OLD MODEL" PRE 73'. RUGER HAS ALWAYS PRODUCED SOME OF THE FINEST ENGINEERED FIREARMS AND I'M PLEASED TO OWN SEVERAL. AS FAR AS PRICE GOES IF YA LIKE IT AND WANT IT - BUY IT!

chet15

Hawkeye
There are a lot of folk out there who would rather keep their OM Rugers without the conversion kit. Proper responsible handling is the key. Not much different than matches really.
Chet15

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Well......As my Friend, The Radical One notes, perhaps many early 357 guns were redone at the factory, due to "color" issues. With the records gone/destroyed years ago, we will never know about the place/time/refinisher etc. I saw a very very nice three digit hi finish gun y'day, shown by a fellow RF Friend. A Superb high finish gun. I would not fuss much about a high finish gun or it's history, providing it was a gun of the infamous red frame variety..........Just saying. As far as the jeweled hammer sides go, if it was done "lightly", that can be quickly polished out, using the correct strokes and grit of wet or dry paper from 3M......... 8)BTW, some of you need to reconsider what you think these early FT's are worth. What makes you think you should pay less for that nice FT, than today's retail for a "New Model"? These are two different worlds and time frames..................Period. :roll:

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
Here's a decent 1959 Flattop. By serial # it was one of the last dozen or so frames from the old Red Barn location although Ruger records show a Feb. 1959 ship date. I paid $500 plus tax & background fees as it was on consignment at a retail gun shop. It had a pair of Jay Scott stocks on it which I sold for about 1/2 of what the original pair that replaced them cost me. It has not been converted, and most of what looks like blue wear is reflection. I'm in CA and any old 3 screw Ruger commands a premium now as they can't be imported into the state, the only way to buy one is a private party transfer. Even here I don't think a refinished Flattop would sell for much more than $500.

Ruger357MagnumBlackhawkFlattop.jpg

Chance

Buckeye
I've had a reblued unconverted 357 Flattop with jeweled hammer and trigger sitting on my table for months. It's priced at $525 and gets very little interest. Anybody in the Tucson area that may be interested can stop by the Az Arms Assoc show today at the old Beaudry RV today and walk away with a nice gun.

deserttrans

Buckeye
I've seen Chance's flattop. Very nice indeed. With guns 50-60 years old. Many of them have probably been reblued twice... $500 is in the range for a nice old flattop.

Where did you get the information regarding your comment on shipping into CA.? Untrue statement as Single Actions Revolvers are exempt and CAN be "imported" shipped into the state. Please don't give everyone here on the Forum that is anti-California more reason or thought not to ship perfectly legal guns into this state. Thank You. This post is not meant to be a "flame" on you but you need the facts before typing this as I said it just feeds the no ship to CA scare that abounds from some members.

Walter Rego said:
I'm in CA and any old 3 screw Ruger commands a premium now as they can't be imported into the state, the only way to buy one is a private party transfer. Even here I don't think a refinished Flattop would sell for much more than $500.

Ruger357MagnumBlackhawkFlattop.jpg