Value of 22 auto pistol barrel/receiver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Malamute

Bearcat
What would be a fair value for an early type Ruger 22 auto barrel/receiver? There are no other parts with it.

Anyone know what it would cost to buy the parts needed to make it work again? Its in pretty clean shape, its a shame it was cast aside. Apparently someone bought an AMT barrel/receiver for it, as it came in the box for one.

Thanks for any useful info.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've bought a few barreled receivers in the past. A lot depends upon which model it was. Does it have fixed or adjustable sights? How long is the barrel? And this part has the serial number,,, so any sales must go to a FFL.
I've given as little as $50 & as much as $110 for one.

Malamute

Bearcat
Its the standard with fixed sights and short barrel. I havent checked the vintage yet. Ser 14-83xxx.

Finish is very good overall, with some blue marred where the grip frame fit against it, but no problems where it would show. If the rest of the gun was as good it may be about 90%.

Malamute

Bearcat
Can anyone make an educated guess what it would cost to buy used parts to get it working?

I saw a few complete parts sets minus the barrel/receiver but they were several years old.

Would Mark II grip frame and lower parts work with this or does it need to all be earlier parts?

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
There are a lot of variables in your questions, which is one reason why I suspect you are not getting a lot of cost estimates. First pricing varies by location, in some cases greatly. You have not indicated what region of the country you are located, or, if you are even within the USA. Next, it is hard to know what generation of pistol receiver you are asking about by the initial description. Standard models do come in all generations. A picture of your receiver would help a bunch. Then it comes down to availability of the components, the more scarce the higher the price. Does your receiver have this slot cut into the underside of it?

2245_under_rec6.jpg

If it does, then you have a Mark II generation or later receiver, which means you can easily use any frame that has the bolt stop parts included. If you don't, then you have a Mark I generation, Standard pistol receiver which can limit parts availability significantly. You can still use one of a later model frame, they will fit, you just have to remove the bolt catch lever. Also in order to lock the bolt open a Mark I style thumb safety button is required and one of the bolts that has the groove slot cut into it for the safety to engage and lock the bolt open. The only other option is a magazine especially modified with an extended follower that can catch the bolt and hold it open. Lastly are you committed to rebuild this pistol or invest what it takes to make it fully operable again? Have you thought about a budget? If you say " I am willing to spend 'X' amount, and it will cost 'Y' (Y being a much higher dollar amount) for the parts to turn it into a fully functioning pistol again then what do you plan to do? As for just a rough estimate, it will likely cost nearly the same amount of a new pistol to restore if you truly are just starting out with a fully stripped receiver and have no additional parts to begin the build.

Hope this helps a bit.

R,
Bullseye

I estimate the value between -$100 and -$300. That's how far you'll be in the hole if you try to build a gun unless you get the parts insanely cheap. Better put it back in the box and forget you ever saw it. Go buy a nice used MKII.

Malamute

Bearcat
It looks like it was made in 1978 from the ser #.

It looks like that slot, which this doesnt have, wouldnt be too difficult to put in if it opens up parts availability. Im in the US, in the N Rockies.

Im not commited to this at all, a freind had it. Neither of us had any idea what its worth, or if its practical to make a shooter out of again. We havent made any deal yet, Im just trying to find out what it may be worth and if its practical to mess with.

Id seen several parts groups with everything Id need for about $175, but they were a couple years old. If I could get everything for that, and the barrel/receiver relatively cheaply, it may be worth doing I guess. Buying something thats complete and works is always easier. Projects can be fun though, if they dont turn into a marathon of trying to find parts. If it ends up being too complicated, I wont mess with it. May just passively look and if I find a decent parts group, move forward with it. I dont think he had any plans for the part and may not mind if we dont do anything until I can find usable parts. Right now its doing an admirable job of holding down loose papers on my desk.

Thanks for the comments and info guys.

ETA: Another thought, I suppose I could use it as a lighter weight upper if I bought one of the 6 7/8" target models which Id like to have.

Malamute

Bearcat
Highstandardguy said:
I estimate the value between -$100 and -$300. That's how far you'll be in the hole if you try to build a gun unless you get the parts insanely cheap. Better put it back in the box and forget you ever saw it. Go buy a nice used MKII.

But, but,...Id keep thinking about the sad, lonely little barrel all alone in the dark box, just wanting to be shot again.

contender

Ruger Guru
As I said,,, I've bought a few of those different barreled receivers. I've also been a parts hound for a long time & was able to put together a few guns because I had the parts.
Often,,, you can find a "complete" lower, to allow you to put it together,,, OR,,, you can find parts here & there,,, if you have to patience. Your description says that it doesn't have the bolt. That's a part that will cost you a bit as well.
For me, in my neck of the woods, for that barreled receiver, I'd not give over $50 for it.
Now, if you were to find a MKI in a different barrel configuration, you could possibly have a "switch barrel" gun.

You hit the nail on the head contender. A deep parts bin is essential. While all the 'little' parts can add up to some coin, the bolt and main spring assembly can be cost prohibitive. Add in a lower and you can quickly exceed the cost of a new pistol. Certainly more than you would pay for a nice used unit with some careful shopping.

The only reason for doing something like this, IMHO, is for the educational value. I'm currently working on an abused MKII because I want to try out some ideas for different restoration procedures. It will never be worth what I'll have in it. If I end up scrapping it I'll consider it the cost of an education.

contender

Ruger Guru
HS guy, I have been a long time advocate of a deep parts bin. If I was anywhere that had odds & ends parts,,, I'd go to digging & buying. I now have a fair supply of many things. I always keep my eyes open and when I see a fair deal,,,, I buy.

I've fixed a lot different things by having these things. Did I ever tell you about finding 3 Ruger flat loading gates at one time, very cheap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,??? :D

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Malamute said:
What would be a fair value for an early type Ruger 22 auto barrel/receiver? There are no other parts with it.

Anyone know what it would cost to buy the parts needed to make it work again? Its in pretty clean shape, its a shame it was cast aside. Apparently someone bought an AMT barrel/receiver for it, as it came in the box for one.

Thanks for any useful info.

It would be nice to know whether or not your plan involves bringing that pistol back to its original, configuration, or to just go with one that works properly. I do have a couple of A54 grip frames laying around and at least one A100 grip frame, bolts and safeties. But, you don't need to go that route. If you could locate either a Ruger Mark II or III grip frame assembly, bolt and mainspring housing assembly, those will work. You will then also have the additional advantage of the bolt hold open feature that the earlier grip frames did not furnish and a the choice of much better magazines. Building a Ruger Mark pistol, or any pistol for that matter, from parts, is always gonna be more cost involved than if the whole pistol is purchased initially.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Last one I bought off gun broker was for $125.00

Stainless with a 6-7/8" tapered barrel. Contacted Ruger before I bought it and at that time they said they would complete the gun for me. I just told them I had the barreled receiver and had lost my other parts.

The built up an entire gun and I was really happy with what I ended up having in the finished gun.

You could contact the plant in AZ and ask if they would do this and for how much.

They fitted a bolt to the receiver and it is like a new gun.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
About 20 years ago I was at a gunshow in Portland Oregon and picked up 3 brand new complete bolts for MK 2 pistols for 20 dollars each for a parts dealer. One of my better parts finds.

Dan in MI

Staff member
All of this is ancient info. Barreled receivers are dirt cheap now. As low as $35. Bolts too. The lower and all associated parts have gone sky high because of that. (Thanks to VQ and TK) Blued lowers cross the $200 mark, usually more. SS $300.