Value help for 1959 Flattop Blackhawk .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have pretty heavily edited my original post.

I need some help from the Ruger SA brain trust. A customer wants my help in selling a 1959 flat top .357. S/N is 19030. I have the BBGV for Rugers but that is only a starting place, I would like to know real world values.

Here's what I now know:
It is 4 5/8 with full length ERH
It is a "Micro" sight.
It is NOT converted
It has a round ejector rod button
It is a 6 groove barrel
The trigger is 1/8" thick
The cylinder shows pitting and wear about 2/3 - 3/4 the way around
The ERH shows wear (possibly from just sitting on something that it shouldn't have for a log time, possibly this is what happened to the cylinder)
Heel of grip scratched
Right side grip is cracked but you can't see in on the outside
Nice plum loading gate
Cylinder is in good condition other than the outside

Using the BBGV guide, My first impressions was it is a 80%-90% gun

yEehzV2h.jpg

1hXlXHmh.jpg

8IghTzsh.jpg

18NRXQWh.jpg

wwAVzIlh.jpg

PrgLGQdh.jpg

2QvrhBbh.jpg

gS1PHB5h.jpg

EFjfUsdh.jpg

xd11ncbh.jpg

2j8SM48h.jpg

Thanks for any help you can give me. Once I have it valued and talk to my customer I'll see what he wants to do.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, a Type 3,,, in shooter grade condition by the appearance of the pics. Short barrel,, but you need to check to see if it's got 6 rifling grooves or 8. (8 grooves are worth a little more.)
In mint condition,,,, the RENE says $705 for a 6 groove,, and $820 for the 8 groove.
But in shooter condition,, (From the condition I see,,, ) I'd say $575-$600 or $675-$700.

contender

Ruger Guru
Gramps is right,, if converted,, drop the value by another $150 for the missing OM parts.

But,,, that trigger MIGHT be correct,, as it is a 1959,,, Type 3,, and as such may have the thicker (later) OM trigger. I think the pics make it look a bit thick.

larryofcc

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll get a chance to give it a good looking over once he drops it off to me (probably sometime next week).
If it's any help, I just bought # 1064 in just a little better condition and 100% correct except the grips that may or may not have been changed. I paid $400 for it and also got a $50 Bianchi holster and some ammo. Big Larry

hittman

Staff member
Mine like that in 90% plus condition, non converted was $450 at local pawn shop. It's s/n is 155xx range. Pronounced cylinder ring, excellent beautiful plum colors, very nice original grips, light wear on the high spots.

The one you pictured appears worse than mine on finish but still my knee jerk reaction assuming its not converted was $500.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Ron, you should be able to get somewhat of a value from the PM's you're receiving.... :)

Good Luck with that sale; it's a wonderful classic shooter to my old eyes......

IMHO,
J.

Well,
I passed all the information that I have gathered from here and the ROCS forum to the seller, including possible selling prices (and I clearly and completely explained the whys). He replied that he still wants to sell it at his price (won't put that in this post) and even his lowest amount he would take is still too high. I told him I would post it in the classifieds here but not to expect many, if any, responses.

My thoughts, and I know I'm right, since I've been dealing with him for several years now and know his buying habits, is that he bought this on a whim, and did not do any research. He didn't even call me, and he knows I'm the Ruger guy in the area, to get my thoughts. I didn't know anything about it until it arrived and I did the transfer - bad part was there was no receipt so I don't know what he actually paid for it and he won't tell me.

Then he shot it, again with no input from me and I figure he doesn't like it because ALL his other handguns are semi autos and 1911's and this is the only revolver he owns. So, instead of getting input from me and other revolver shooters, he decided to sell it.

I do thank all who posted/PM'd. Those comments add to my knowledge base and at times I need all the help I can get. :D

Next question, and I think I know the answer, when I post it in the classifieds, should I go ahead and include all the pics from this post? I want to be honest with prospective buyers so I probably will.

contender

Ruger Guru
Being honest with a buyer or seller is always the best policy.
If the seller feels it's worth more than the market will allow,, he'll not sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.