USPS, (latest event)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I know, it gets old complaining about our postal system... which is still probably the best in the world.....

So back in the middle of October I bought some gun parts from a fellow up in New York (state) on another forum..... items can be mailed...

He mails them on October 16th and it has a tracking code and is scheduled to arrive here in Greenville, S.C. on October 19th.

Now part of this crazy story and what happened to the package is some of my fault.... wife and I left for a two and half week vacation on the 19th before the mail arrived. Neighbor was gathering our mail for us. I did check a day or so later and the package had left Parksville N.Y and was in NEWARK NJ ... then I got distracted and did not check again for two weeks until we were ready to go home.... Just assumed it had arrive and neighbor had it... seems from Oct 16th to Nov. 7th the package went back and forth between Newark N.J and Newburgh N.Y.
I can't for the life of me figure out how this can happen.... you would think at some point in time the fancy computer system that tracks all this stuff would be able to red tag an item that is just bouncing back and forth.... if for no other reason it is totally inefficient. Seems the shipper has to actually contact the Post Master in the place where the package is destined for to get some action from the postal service and then some kind of "processing exception" is put into place... then when that doesn't do it they then after another week do a missing mail thing... bottom line is I got the package on November 27th.... that is 42 days! the really amazing thing is it was in good shape.... also had the original bar code label on it not a new one. I have actually printed and saved the actually tracking history of this and am tempted to send it to the post master general.....

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I'm expecting a 3-1/2 weeks overdue package today that's FINALLY "out for delivery"...Hopefully, it arrives in one piece after bouncing around all over God knows where for the better part of a month?! 🤞

There are days that we just don't get mail. It probably happens 3 or 4 times a month. We are just about the last house on our mail guy's route. If he's worked enough that day he just goes home. I'm not making this up at all.

Are we required to have a mailbox and receive mail? Why can't we refuse service?

Not surprised. After a number of times of no deliveries I checked with my neighbors and found none had recently mail. I contacted the post office and was told. I probably just didn't have any. But they couldn't explain why no one for teo blocks had received any.

Funny thing suddenly delivery improved immediately. Got me to wondering who wasn't getting theirs now.

redhawker

Buckeye
Delivery by just about all the different carriers for us lately has been a challenge. We just had a house built in a small development (29 houses total) and our house was the first finished and we were the first to move in (less than 3 weeks ago). There is still construction going on on about 22 of the houses. To top it off there are two ends to our street, about a 1/2 mile apart meaning there are two short streets with the same name a 1/2 mile from each other. This is because when this area is built out the two ends of the street will be connected making a big loop. On the portion of our street on the north end, the houses were built about 12 years ago (we're on the south end). To top that off a couple of weeks before we moved in I put our new address into Google Maps, Waze, and a couple of other mapping websites and they were showing our house to be on the north section of the street when we are actually on the south section of the street. I got ahold of Google and Waze and managed to get the location corrected before we moved in. We had a couple of packages sent back to the Post Office and FedEx delivered to a totally wrong and unrelated address before they managed to "find" us. It took two visits to the Post Office to get things straightened out. The local trash pickup missed us on recycling day although they did find us a few days before on regular trash day. To be fair to everybody, if you look down the street it does still look like a construction zone. I think I've got it all straightened out now but the funny thing is the local pizza delivery guys haven't had any problem finding us.

IMHO (and decades of experience), a significant cause for 'bouncing' packages is labeling. A transposed number causes all sorts of problems-especially with 'optical readers'. The average mail handler doesn't know the difference between 'Mountainside Vermont' and 'Swamplake Florida' so the mislabeled package runs loops from one place to another. Poor labeling is strictly the fault of the sender-not USPS.
Another big issue these days is 'giving overload a ride'. Seems the dedication to duty of current employees isn't what it used to be so mail that exceeds the normal HooHaw slow motion shift gets a ride on another truck from one USPS facility to another until it finally gets processed. This is a USPS issue but can't be fixed due to affirmative action and 'hire the doof' policies.

JackBull

Blackhawk
During the regular postman's vacation I was getting other peoples mail for a week. I spoke to the PM and she just laughed.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Two packages containing the same items sent by the same seller were stolen at my local PO on their way in.

I am halfway (sort of) between DFW and OKC. There are hubs in both places. I have seen tracking on an item coming to me pass me by on I35 three to fours times before getting to me.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Glad you finally got your parts!

The post office was supposed to break even this year. But with screwed up service like you experienced, no wonder the post office was $18 billion over budget instead!

Blume here is a package I'm waiting on. You can see it's getting bounced back and forth. Balch Springs is about 30 miles away.

The shipper in this case is UPS, not Amazon. At least it has a UPS tracking number, so it isn't just USPS that bounces packages around. Although several times, I've shipped boxes to my parents over in Phoenix, and they often go to California and around that state for a while first.

Screenshot (45).png