USPS: Christmas Rush Rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I love the click and ship on the USPS website. I’ve had my fair share of trouble with late mail etc, from the post office, but the Click and Ship usually saves me from having to go and wait in line at the post office.

But today, trying to mail a box, the addresss came up as “Not a valid delivery address.” Funny, I can see the house on Google Maps. I know the zip code is correct.

So, I box up the package and head to the USPS to ask them in person. There are probably 15 people in line, and one poor postal worker.

For those of you who say, “call the post office.” You don’t live in a town of any size, do ya? Almost impossible here in DFW. It’s a 1-800 number for wait and press 5 and wait and press….

So, tell me, why should I wait for perhaps 30 or 45 minutes?

The UPS store two blocks away, greeted me when I came in, no waiting at all, and might have been $5 more.

Oh, and they knew the address…

What a farce. If only someday perhaps with the Grace of God, please privatize the USPS…

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Once upon a time mail service WAS a private enterprise and THEN the government discovered they could control it AND make money. The "Post Office" use to require that you COME IN to pick up your mail NO home delivery available UNLESS you used one of those PRIVATE companies.

Once upon a time mail service WAS a private enterprise and THEN the government discovered they could control it AND make money. The "Post Office" use to require that you COME IN to pick up your mail NO home delivery available UNLESS you used one of those PRIVATE companies.
Yep The small town I lived in did not have Mail delivery. You went to the PO. Your mail was put in your box that had a combination to open it.

Yes, I lived in Carnation, WA and same, everyone had a PO box. I figured it was just because it was a small town.

That was the same Carnation, that a year later, the PO lady got shot and killed along with some other people. Pretty tragic.

akbluz

Single-Sixer
When I was growing up in SE Texas we had a rural route mail carrier (the area still has them). Mr. Jack Roberts delivered everything - packages, letters, sold stamps, and would pick up your outgoing mail if you left the red flad up. You could set your watch by when he came by. He was "respected" for the service he provided and everyone knew him by name. He delivered mail for 30years before he retired. He rarely made a mistake. He even delivered a rifle to me in 1956, leaving it on top of the 3 mailboxes that we shared with our neighbors (of course I was watching for him everyday).
It's not too different here in SouthCentral Alaska today except for the left-handed trucks and the carriers wearing uniforms. They do a pretty good job but they get here when they get here. My thank you to them is that I keep the area in front of the mailboxes shoveled out.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
We had the same mailman here for quite a while and around Christmas, I would leave him a gift of chocolate candy or cookies all wrapped up in the mail box. Sadly he finally got a better route and I no longer see him.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
We had the same carrier for almost 20 years. He retired just before COVID hit. Could set my watch by him. Great guy. Always went the extra mile. Can’t keep track of how many postal carriers we’ve had since. Very sad.

Strider45

Blackhawk 3 screw
Where I grew up in rural western Kansas we had a rural carrier for years. Dependable. I think they still have rural delivery, but by a contractor, not a USPS employee. Lived in rural New Mexico for several years where everyone had a PO box at the Post Office and no delivery service. Now in a city setting. Have delivery to a "cluster box". The regular carrier is pretty good and timely. However, he must be high on the seniority list, as whenever there's a holiday weekend the carrier is a sub. Usually very late then. Just had a neighbor two streets over at the same house number bring some of my mail over. I try to avoid going to a Post Office if I can. Not service oriented at all.

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
Living in the boonies for many a year there was no "private" delivery service (either mail or package)! The private companies dumped their mail off on the USPS. And how about the latest mandates from UPS and Fedex regarding non-business shipment of firearm related goodies? Sometime the gift horse does have to be looked at! My condolences to those who have not been as blessed as I have been!

CHEVYINLINE6

Bearcat
I to have had problems with the USPS. I ordered a piston from a East Coast location and I live on the West Coast. My piston traveled back and forth between the East Coast and West Coast 4 times and was checked in to 14 different post offices. 4 of those times my piston was at a post office only 20 minutes away and then it went back East again. Second problem. The mail person keeps putting my mail in my dead neighbors mail box. Nobody ever picks up the mail there and the mail box is so full the lid won't shut and there is a pile of mail on the ground below it. The last time I complained, I didn't get any mail for a week. True story, I swear by my tattoo.

I to have had problems with the USPS. I ordered a piston from an East Coast location and I live on the West Coast. My piston traveled back and forth between the East Coast and West Coast 4 times and was checked in to 14 different post offices. 4 of those times my piston was at a post office only 20 minutes away and then it went back East again. Second problem. The mail person keeps putting my mail in my dead neighbors mail box. Nobody ever picks up the mail there and the mail box is so full the lid won't shut and there is a pile of mail on the ground below it. The last time I complained, I didn't get any mail for a week. True story, I swear by my tattoo.
I totally believe it.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
I love the click and ship on the USPS website. I’ve had my fair share of trouble with late mail etc, from the post office, but the Click and Ship usually saves me from having to go and wait in line at the post office.

But today, trying to mail a box, the addresss came up as “Not a valid delivery address.” Funny, I can see the house on Google Maps. I know the zip code is correct.

So, I box up the package and head to the USPS to ask them in person. There are probably 15 people in line, and one poor postal worker.

For those of you who say, “call the post office.” You don’t live in a town of any size, do ya? Almost impossible here in DFW. It’s a 1-800 number for wait and press 5 and wait and press….

So, tell me, why should I wait for perhaps 30 or 45 minutes?

The UPS store two blocks away, greeted me when I came in, no waiting at all, and might have been $5 more.

Oh, and they knew the address…

What a farce. If only someday perhaps with the Grace of God, please privatize the USPS…
Never see the same carrier twice in a week. During vacations I will get mail addressed to 2-3 other people during the week. The PM thought it was funny. I guess there are no standards in the USPS. I live a small town in CT.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Well, due to the economy, I took a job at one of the local post offices. I applied in June, did all of the application on-line, went down to Bristol TN for my fingerprints during the 4th of July week. Then I waited, and waited, and waited. I sent an email to the personnel person in the latter part of October.

Finally, I received an e-mail to go to a one-day orientation on Saturday, November 5th in Roanoke VA. I went and learned that I would be working as a distribution clerk in the back, rather than working at the front counter, selling stamps, taking packages, etc. Well OK, let's see how that goes. I started on Monday the 7th.

I reported in at 6AM and learn that "distribution" means unloading boxes and packages from pallets and taking them to the various route locations, where the carriers then have to load them in their vehicles. Packages can be as light as 2 oz or as heavy as 65 pounds. Once all the packages are sent to the routes, which can take 3-4 hours, then the post office boxes receive their mail. Once that chore is complete, packages for PO boxes have to either put in the large lockers or in the back, to be picked up at the counter.

After the PO boxes have been serviced, then you can take your lunch break. Now here is one of the FUN things-lunch can be 1-4 hours. Then you come back and do more packages.

Oh, I forgot. Almost EVERYTHING has to be scanned, over and over again. The pallets are wrapped in plastic and have a bar code on the outside. Then each package has a bar code. You have to scan the packages as arrived and then scanned again by the carriers or by the clerks, as in when they go to the PO boxes.

So, it takes almost 12 hours to work an 8 hour or more shift. I didn't go into the other stuff that needs to be done daily, like sorting out mail with bad addresses, missent mail, etc.

Anyway, I lasted 5 weeks before my back, both knees and both feet said enough. Yes, the post office has problems, but there are some folks doing a lot of hard work to get your mail to you every day.

I've posted before that not a week goes by that we don't get someone else's mail. If it is a direct neighbor I usually take it to them if it looks
important. If not, I take a red felt marker and write on it " delivered to wrong address " in big letters and the date, then it goes back in the box with the flag up. Complained numerous time to the local post office...did as much good as posting this message.
I've tried to switch everything I can to electronic communication to avoid the postal service as much as possible. Unless I'm desperate I won't order
anything from anybody that I can't specify something other than the post office for shipping.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
My local USPS carrier is there every day same time like clockwork. If she sees me she waves. I always know when checking the tracking number that it will come a day early.

The UPS guy is always a day late. He throws the package on the concrete porch and half the time it is in a broken box.

I had to return an item once and the vendor gave me an address. At the PO he said it wasn't a valid address. I called the vendor back again and she said the PO didn't know what he was talking about. So, back to the PO and this time I insisted he send it to that address. A month later the vendor called to complain they never received it. She checked it and came back and said Oh I'm sorry I gave you the wrong address.

I guess it must be a regional thing.

Oh, and on second thought if it comes Fedex they often bring it to the wrong house, even with the correct address on the package.

When I shop online I always ask for USPS. If they won't do it I shop elsewhere.

KIR

Blackhawk
I appreciate the USPS. I often meet them and try to say thank you to them. Usually they are on their phone/ear buds talking to someone.

peachhead

Single-Sixer
Well if it takes 5 months to actually get a job there, then getting your mail to you within a week is doing pretty good.

Seriously, my mail carriers do a pretty good job around here. There are always people who expect 100% perfection and they complain a lot but for the most part I have no complaints with the post office. In a lot of ways it seems like the US government sets them up to fail more often than not. I guess they can't wait to privatize it.

peachhead

Single-Sixer
Also, I think we could live without getting mail on the weekends. I don't think I've ever had anything delivered that I couldn't live without until Monday.

Johnny-Baseball

Single-Sixer
It has long been acknowledged that the USPS is woefully inefficient and needs a complete operational overhaul. I don't blame individual USPS employees for this. I believe, however, that their union will block any attempt to make USPS efficient. And the union will be 100% backed by liberals in congress who count on USPS employees' votes.

At this point in our government's evolution, employment by governmental agencies is "employment for life," and only a murder conviction, or an anonymous allegation that the employee is a conservative would be grounds for that employee's termination.

My late father lamented the oxymoronic term "government employee." In his day, common folks claimed that FDRs' WPA (Works Projects Administration) actually stood for "We Piddle Around." Some things never change.

krw

Blackhawk
Well I can get on a rant about USPS. I live in rural Ark. I get mail 6 days/wk delivered. Lets cut that bak to 2 days/wk. then make everyone pay same rate for pkg’s, bulk junk mailing etc. and if your incompetent at your job, fire them and replace them with a competent person. That would make a huge improvement

Latest posts