USMC Shooter / Trying to decide on rifle options.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Leatherneck

Bearcat
Interesting info on the 742. My dad has 2 742's in 30-06. One of which I've used for 20+ yrs. We've never had any problems. I know of 2 others with 742's, 1 in 30-06 and 1 in .243 with no problems. That's just 4 out of however many were made.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

An acquaintance picked up a 742 in '06 a few months ago, and had some problems. Asked if I knew anything about the rifle, which I didn't, so off to search I went! Found there are a couple of feeding problems which are not that uncommon, and a bit beyond "kitchen table gunsmith" caliber for fixing. It also appears Remington can't/won't work on 'em any more, and parts are sketchy to non-existent.

So I'd suggest just from that a 742 might not be the best choice, unless one can shoot it some before handing over the cash to make sure it works?

Rick C

Major T

Blackhawk
Forget the Marine stuff, and let's get on with the matter at hand. The Win. 100 has a following. I have no experIence with them, only the sister model 88. Those were way over engineered IMHO.

The .270 is a fine round.i have two, but I also have a trio of .30-06s, so they would be favored for an elk or larger. But, if you are looking for an all round caliber, the .280 might be a better all round choice, although it will not quite reach the velocity of the 7 magnum. The other advantage is a bit lighter, handier package. My suggestion would be to forget the muzzle brake. You just do not need it on the .280 and it will increase the noise level. There are lots of fine loading s available, and hand loading would open up even more options.

Thanks for your service. Enjoy the Ruger. Jack

phonejack

Single-Sixer
A 1966 "sunglasses and surfboard" member here. 308 has always worked for me. Barrel life is longer if you shoot a lot (I do )

rich e

Single-Sixer
Why not dig that old 243win. out of the closet and get familiar with it. If your main purpose is to shoot coyotes at long range the 243 is an excellant cartridge. The recoil is mild, and its a good flat shooting round. Also ammo is easy to find and affordable.