Uses of WD-40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bull Barrel said:
Dont use wd 40 on an o-ring chain. The solvent will attack the rubber.

You are correct, I don't have o-ring chains on either of my bikes with chains. You ride so I'm sure you've heard all the debates but I've used Regina non o-ring chains(including for drag racing) for years with great success.

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Here's one use that nobody mentioned.

A can of WD40 and one of those long butane BBQ type lighters make a great flame thrower for burning out wasp nests.

Melts their little wings so they can't get away.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have used WD-40 to loosen & remove very sticky tape on surfaces I need to protect,,, or when I need to preserve the glue-backed item. I once applied the wrong sticker on a boat. I needed to remove the sticker,, and put it on the correct boat. WD-40 will loosen glue & allow you to peel off a sticker, AND re-use it,, if you don't tear the sticker.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I had heard WD-40 was a good fish attractant. I did a bit of checking and it looks like this is false.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

There's at least as much BS about WD-40 out there as truth.

The fish oil story is one that just won't die. Had a lengthy discussion about this with my BIL who knows everything and even looked up the MSDS which lists "aliphatic hydrocarbons" which he claims ARE fish oil. It's possible fish oil IS AN aliphatic hydrocarbon, whatever that may be, but that's arguing from the particular to the general. Any good logic teacher will shut that down in a heartbeat.

He wouldn't even believe the FAQs on the WD-40 website denying categorically there's fish oil in there!

Personally, I've used the stuff for all kinds of things and find it's good for cleaning small stuff more than lubricating, does a great job on removing sticky stuff, and have yet to gum up anything with it. My father actually DID work for Convair on the Atlas missiles about the time mentioned, and I don't recall him ever having a can of the stuff around...

Rick C

powder smoke

Hawkeye
A.J. said:
I had heard WD-40 was a good fish attractant. I did a bit of checking and it looks like this is false.

Captain WD 40 a fisherman on Lake Ontario swears by it. Heck out with him several
times and caught plenty of kings. Hard to dispute with the results ! ps

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

. My father actually DID work for Convair on the Atlas missiles about the time mentioned, and I don't recall him ever having a can of the stuff around...

Rick C

Well, I would BET they bought it by the barrel or by the 5 gal pail so he might have never brought it home.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Colonialgirl said:
Well, I would BET they bought it by the barrel or by the 5 gal pail so he might have never brought it home.

Hi,

No, he wouldn't have brought any home from work, not even in little spray cans. Doing so was an invitation for a visit from the men in black. Misappropriating property/material involved with government contracts used to be a serious deal... at least between Oct 4, 1957 and Jul 20, 1969!

A cousin, an aerospace machinist also involved with government contracts told a story once about some "magical space age metal" (at the time, early '60s) he was working on. It was either Monel or Inconel, and today is used widely in industry, but at the time was so pricey they had people watching to make sure the machinists didn't even take scraps home for souvenirs!

Times have changed... ;)

Rick C

Jimbo357mag said:
Here you go Mr. Wright.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVvqxWl5Z1EEAAjwPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=rat+rod&fr=yhs-avg-fh_lsonsw&hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-fh_lsonsw
Hey Bob, didn't you used to have one of those? :mrgreen:
gramps

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
A cousin, an aerospace machinist also involved with government contracts told a story once about some "magical space age metal" (at the time, early '60s) he was working on. It was either Monel or Inconel, and today is used widely in industry, but at the time was so pricey they had people watching to make sure the machinists didn't even take scraps home for souvenirs!

Times have changed... ;)

Rick C

I guess they LEARNED !!
When I was a Jr in High School up in Portland, Or, We visited an Aluminum smelting plant (Don't recall whose it was) and the guide told us that during WW 2 they had replaced the COPPER bus bars with SILVER because the copper was in demand for the war effort. Of course the Silver had to be cut and fitted. It took them a while to DISCOVER that the workers were sweeping up the Silver "SAW DUST" from the floors where they were working and taking it home in their lunch pails.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Colonialgirl said:
It took them a while to DISCOVER that the workers were sweeping up the Silver "SAW DUST" from the floors where they were working and taking it home in their lunch pails.

Hi,

Best story on industrial theft I remember involved a fellow who'd worked for the company for 40 years, never missed a day, was never late. Every day when the whistle blew at the end of the day, he'd head out thru the guard gate pushing a wheelbarrow with some dirt in it.

The guard knew he had to be stealing something, and went thru the dirt with a sieve, checked the fellow's lunchbox, pockets, etc., but didn't find anything. This went on every day for 40 years. Finally the fellow was getting ready to retire, and on his last day at work, it was the same drill, same results.

So the guard told him, "You know, I'm retiring today, too, so this will stay between just the two of us. I know you've been stealing something every day. Would you mind telling me what it was?"

Fellow looked at the guard with a smile, and told him, "Wheelbarrows!"

Rick C

BradB

Bearcat
When you peel a price tag or sticker off something and you're left with that bit of ugly nasty glue residue, WD will help remove. Just wash with soap if you don't want the thin film WD will leave. Like with glass or ceramics.