Used Super Blackhawk .44 Mag Square Trigger Value? PLEASE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I ran into a Blue Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag with the square back trigger guard that does have some blue missing from some surface rust it had as it was sitting in a felt lined case lol. I held moisture I guess. At any rate they wish to get $275.oo for it. Is this too much?

I thought I may pick it up and have the barrel shortened down to either 4 5/8 or 5 1/2 and a reblue or some other type of coating as a field carry gun.

Would sure like everyone's thoughts on this. Thank You :)

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Since I do not know about this all that much my thinking is this. Lets say I purchased said Ruger for 275.oo then would have to spend say 100.00 to 130.00 to reblue and another 80.00 or so to shorten the barrel and plus a new front sight. In the end I would have a blue Super Blackhawk 4 5/8ths or 5 1/2 barrel for the same cost or more than a Brand new Super Blackhawk in Stainless that is factory with the 4 5/8 barrel on it.

So what I am trying to find out will I save funds and end up with a good Ruger or just bite the Lead Bullet and go with a new Ruger?

flatgate

Hawkeye
OK, if you've NOT had any "large calibre" revolvers in your "stash" then, IMHO, this one is a bargain.

Buy it, shoot it, learn how it works, learn about big bore cartridges, learn about long range shooting (200 yards and further).

When you get bored with that really cheap Super then "make a change".
You've an opportunity to get "edukated" at a very reasonable price.

My reply assumes you've not had many .44's and you're looking for something to "get started with".

If you're wanting to build a "custom gun" then forget "saving money and getting it cheap" since that line of thinking just won't "pan out". :D

JMHO,

flatgate

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Thank You Flatgate. I do have another Ruger which is the Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter Stainless Steel in .44 Mag at this time. :) And have been shooting the .44 Mag and loading for it as well with great results. I purchased said Ruger due to the fact I did not wish to put the loads I shoot in my S&W Classic .44 Mag.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
JesterGrin_1":wrqz010r said:
I ran into a Blue Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag with the square back trigger guard that does have some blue missing from some surface rust it had as it was sitting in a felt lined case lol. I held moisture I guess. At any rate they wish to get $275.oo for it. Is this too much?Would sure like everyone's thoughts on this. Thank You :)

Any idea of the serial number, have you seen the felt lined case?

s47.jpg

either way, $275s not bad for a shooter.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Well I did not purchase the Ruger BUT here is the good part. When I went back to purchase the Ruger there was a young man in his mid 20's looking at it and he has never had a .44 Mag so I let him know what I thought of it and that for the price he could learn about shooting them as well as loading for them. So even though he was not thrilled about the condition of the blue he purchased it as I explained to him yes it is not perfect which is a good thing lol. That way he can use it and not worry so much about it. An over all good carry gun when hunting.

So who knows maybe a new person is on there way to enjoy many years with a Ruger. :)

So yes I could have purchased the said Ruger at a great price and maybe even made some money on it in the end. But that is not what this is about now is it. So for me the BIG PAYOFF was to get someone started and maybe make our sport grow. And we need all the help we can get. :)

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Nope it was not in a wood box. They did have one in that wood box for $650.oo lol.

But I might be an odd duck but I will never regret that fact that I may pass up a good deal to get someone into this hobby. But It can be a double edged sword lol. I could have steered him away from it and saved him a life time of funds and at times aggrivation or what I did was maybe enable him to have a life time of memories with shooting and reloading as well as taking game with his own rounds. Doing that really can not be explained. And last but not the very least he may run into a great bunch of people that enjoy the same thing and I can only hope they are friendly and willing to help. I feel this is what we all need to keep in mind no matter where we shoot. If we see someone having a bit of a problem stick your neck out and see if you can help them. As I have found many people are just too darn hard headed to ask for help and will just continue to suffer with the problem or sell that particular gun or get out of the hobby all together. And like I said before the more people we get into shooting the better.

Really take a look around and you will notice that shooting is dying out. We NEED to get people into it any way we can.

Sorry my soap box broke lol. :)

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
rugnelli":q924ii0z said:
That was very decent of you.

Thank You Rugnelli for saying that. But it does worry me a bit when someone does as I did and I see a reply such as this which might show that what I did was out of the norm when really this should be the norm.

So again Thank You Rugnelli but I do hope many reach out to help others to enjoy this great hobby. :)

I will add one simple thing I did a few weeks back for one person of which became 3 at my local range. But this person was a bit out of the norm as he saw me shooting my Ruger Super Blackhawk Stainless Hunter Bisley on the 25 yard line just to try out some rounds. So he came over to look at it and I asked him if he would like to give it a go. And well he did say the .44 Mag was a bit much lol. But he liked the trigger and I told him I can help him with that in a jiffy. So I got my bottle of STP and took out his cylinder and lubbed the pin and the front and back of the cylinder as well as removed the grip panels and took off one leg of the trigger spring and wala he was very happy and next thing I know I had two others standing around me with a Ruger lol. And said they hated the trigger lol. So 3 left much happier about there Ruger than before.

Simple things can help. :)

Latest posts