used .44 mag flood

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevek44

Bearcat
My guess is that $$$ is a big issue. I love shooting the big .44, but if I didn't reload my own ammo I would probably step down a bit to control cost. I mean a box of Winchester .44 Magnum sells for around $35.00 around here and A box of my reloads is approx 1/3 of that, thank God I got into reloading some years ago. Anyway, us big bore lovers are getting pretty squeezed....Just my two cents.

SteveK44.. :roll:

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
I'm going to say something that may not be received all that well. But most of us in the revolver section are hunters, cowboys, collectors and target shooters. Collectively, we like all of the revolver calibers which is fine and dandy. However, there is a big demand, out there, right now, for firearms that are "on the list to be banned." People are buying up semi-auto handguns, rifles and shotguns in mass quantities right now. Some are buying them out of desire and/or a need while others are buying out of fear. Look at the cover of most recent gun magazines and you will most likely see a bunch of AR-15's on the covers (which is fine BTW...I own several AR's). I figure that if some people are standing at the door of their safes, trying to figure which gun they will trade, to lessen the sting of that AR they have on layaway, then they are coming to this conclusion: There are millions of 44's out there. Mine shoots like crap and the front sight is canted. I will always be able to obtain another one in the future. I think I'll flip it. Here is my rough beakdown:

Cowboy shooting = mostly 357/38 and 45 Long Colt

Plinkers = are always going to shoot .22 lr (especially when ammo prices are high)

Hunters = have recently stepped up to the hand cannon calibers....454, 460 S&W, 500 S&W etc.

Where does that leave the 44 Mag? Well, somewhere in the middle and sort of left out, in a way. Perhaps there are just higher percentages of "wimpy" folks, in the world these days, as compared to prior times. This would polarize the community into two categories....1. "I only shoot super light stuff" and 2. "I only shoot the stuff that hurts my hand when I touch one off" - The 44 Mag can "sort of" fall into each of these two categories with hand loading. However, there is no camparison between the 44 and say a 38. Also, there is no comparison between a 44 and a full house 460 load.

The 44 Mag is always going to be one of the kings out of all of the calibers. People are just focused in other directions right now. I happen to like the 44 Mag. Maybe we should use the fact that some people have, for just this moment, put 44's on the "back burner" to our advantage. IMO, it never hurts to throw another $300, LNIB, SBH into the old gun safe. I know that there are more elements, that come into play, in regards to a good ammo popularity breakdown. This is just my perspective. Your mileage may vary.

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
I always liked buying .44 mags, people seem to buy one and put a box of ammo through it and then put it away with only a few rounds being fired. I would bet, at least in this area, the average used .44mag has less than 300 rounds through it. Most are like new. The cost of ammo and the recoil are a good thing. After many thousands of rounds the recoil is hardly noticeable and there are plenty of low round count guns out there and you can load your ammo any way you want. Like my .44 and .45s, just right. No need for the big stuff, fired some 500 smiths, cool to do it, but have no use for it.

When the only .44 single-action Ruger made was the 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk with the "dragoon" trigger guard, a lotta folks just didn't like that style. When Ruger began to offer round-guard .44 Mag guns in shorter barrel lengths, I think they increased their potential market considerably. Now it's even harder to decide between a .44 and a .45 Colt, however.

Decisions, decisions.

;)

drew76

Bearcat
Haven't you heard? You need a .500 to kill anything bigger than deer. Plus, don't you feel embarassed bringing your 44 to the range when all the cool guys have .500's? You need to trade that 44 in for a .500.

Also I'm going to go along with the idea that in a recession, a gun that gets shot once every 2 - 3 years is going to be one of the first things to go when a man needs to put food on the table.

EDK

Single-Sixer
gramps":29gfyh6c said:
I agree with most of what has been said except I am not seeing more used .44 mags for sale. (now in Tx)
gramps

Same here around ST Louis MO...at least where I go looking. Saw my first used S&W 44s in 2 shops last week and no Super Blackhawks in a long time.

PS I've got a bunch of bullet moulds and lead. My 357 and 44 reloads cost me about $8.00 per hundred.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Haven't noticed any excess of .44s around here, but I don't hit the shops very often anyway.

I presently own 6 .44s, and there's still room for a couple - I don't have an 8 3/8" S&W M-29, or a 10 1/2" Ruger yet. Got most of the other barrel lengths covered. Oh yeah, no 5" S&W, either. See, there's another one I need...

BTW, I for one have/can/will resist the super big-bore thing. I think it's pretty ridiculous for the most part. Whatever cranks your tractor, however.