Use the stock trigger & hammer springs on your SP/GP?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Hi Guys,
I currently use the stock hammer spring and an 8 or 10# trigger latch spring on 2 of my GP-100's and I shoot quite well with it.

However, with magnum loads, the trigger latch has a tendency to slightly unlatch. (likely due to the lighter trigger spring).

I reinstalled the stock trigger spring, and though trigger functions smoothly, it is heavy. Much heavier for my liking.

Do any of you shoot your GP or SP in stock form without any of these spring changes?? Does the stiffness of the trigger pull get better with time? What's your experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

s4s4u

Hunter
My SP101 trigger is brutal, but my GP100 is sweet. I bought both used so don't know if the springs were changed on either, but suspect so on the GP. Try a lighter main/hammer spring and the not too light trigger spring.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
As you use your SP or GP more the trigger will get better. I bought a new GP100 4 inch and the trigger was heavy. After drying firing the revolver and put many round through it the action is getting smoother and smoother. I also have a Police Service Six. The Security/Service Six is not noted for a smooth trigger. But over the years of use and a lot of drying firing my Police Service Six is as smooth or smoother than some of my Smiths. I have never changed the springs or had a gunsmith work on either revolver. The more you use your Rugers the better they get.

Have fun,
roaddog28

contender

Ruger Guru
I prefer to keep the springs stock,, but clean up the actions if i don't like the way any of mine work. I figure the manufacturers spent enough money on testing their products for reliability and function that if it's good enough for them,, it's good enough for me. A good action job will make it feel so much better.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
contender":3oqh101z said:
I prefer to keep the springs stock,, but clean up the actions if i don't like the way any of mine work. I figure the manufacturers spent enough money on testing their products for reliability and function that if it's good enough for them,, it's good enough for me. A good action job will make it feel so much better.
These thoughts echo mine to a "t".

Pinecone

Blackhawk
G. Freeman, The trigger guard latch can be re-worked to be a more positive lock with heavier loads. Each GP-100 varies a little (latch/frame mating) in trigger guard lock-up. A good "competent" local gunsmith can fix this up for you..........................Dick

GP100man

Buckeye
the trigger release latch plunger must be free of oil & grease or it will let the trigger group "loosen".

Also when installin the trigger group give the end at the plunger a little wrap with a suitable beater to insure it`s seated .

s4s4u

Hunter
if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me

That's no fun ;-)

I find there are very few products that can't be improved with a little 'tweaking'.

Emaho

Bearcat
Totally in agreement with Contender and Slim. My GP100 is just over a year old and has had just over 2000 rds thru it. The trigger has gotten progressively better, with no "work" done, and is now close to my definition of "perfect". If I wanted to "work" the trigger, I don't know what I'd do at this point. Also have a 1970s era Police Service-Six, .38 SS 4", and the thoroughly worn in trigger is sweet and smooth.

Don't know why folks are so het up with Smiths. I figure, if you aren't with the one you love, love the one yer with.

BrokNAirow

Bearcat
I say dry fire ,dry fire and then dry fire....work some break free thru the action....the manufacture made some good triggers for the rugers....the more rounds fired the smoother it will become.... my 2 cts worth..

I'm Brok :mrgreen: