Use snap caps in a SR9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
In another forum I read a man saying he used snap caps in his SR9 about 50 times and his gun broke inside ,it will not fire anymore. Any word on this issue???? I don't want to break the Striker/ firing pin set up ! This may just be 1 man out of thousand?
Thanks for your replies!!!

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Pulling the trigger on a snap-cap should never be an issue with any gun as long as you don't do it in a rapid manner, even a striker fired one. Doing a dry fire with a snap-cap (which I recommend) is a little different with most striker fired pistols, you need to rack the slide to reset the trigger and the striker. This will of course eject that snap cap, so you would need multiple snap-caps loaded into your magazine in order to do it more than once at a crack. There are some ways to circumvent re-racking the slide, none and I mean none of these are good for your pistol and will damage it to the point that the trigger will no longer function.

Added Note: Pulling the trigger on any gun in a repeative and rapid manner will weaken and break at least one of the springs in the trigger group.

Ski

Bearcat
+1 what Cheesewhiz said. I don't use dry firing as a means to "smooth" the trigger group. For me, dry firing is a means of training for trigger control and thus is a slow deliberate process (which may also include drawing from concealment). With the SR-9 you actually do not have to rack the slide the full length of it's travel to get the trigger to reset - thus you can just keep one snap cap in place (along with the mag of course) if you like... Just pull the slide back perhaps half an inch or until you feel the trigger reset and you are good to go again... I like snap caps and I use them in every gun I have whenever I dry fire...

There have been a least a couple of reports of the striker assembly breaking when dry firing the SR-9. Search this sight or the other Ruger forum for pictures and details.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
Ski":2wjjvxuw said:
+1 what Cheesewhiz said. I don't use dry firing as a means to "smooth" the trigger group. For me, dry firing is a means of training for trigger control and thus is a slow deliberate process (which may also include drawing from concealment). With the SR-9 you actually do not have to rack the slide the full length of it's travel to get the trigger to reset - thus you can just keep one snap cap in place (along with the mag of course) if you like... Just pull the slide back perhaps half an inch or until you feel the trigger reset and you are good to go again... I like snap caps and I use them in every gun I have whenever I dry fire...

There have been a least a couple of reports of the striker assembly breaking when dry firing the SR-9. Search this sight or the other Ruger forum for pictures and details.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll skip the snap caps Ideal . My CCW class is in 10 days and I cant take the chance of breaking the gun!

dave

Bearcat
In my youth I broke two firing pins by dry fire.
Now I avoid it where possible.
( also for safety reasons -
" All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are. " )
I dont think it does well if one piece of metal slams on an other piece.