**Use caution when dealing with OldIron13!** Possible scammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akgrant

Bearcat
Update- after further digging, it seems that Mason Tomei is likely a stolen identity and the real guy has nothing to do with it. No shocker there, but everyone should be aware of that.

I wanted to wait to post this, giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I feel I need to make it known now, in case he is scamming and in the process of doing it to others. He responded to my ad looking for a specific rifle. I am always weary when getting replies to these and thought I had gotten enough info from him to ensure it was legit. However the communication has been sparse at best since money was sent and when he finally confirmed the rifle had been shipped he did not have a tracking number and hasn't responded to the request for which shipping company he used. All he said was that it was supposed to be delivered today. At this point I was pretty sure he was scamming and told him so, but he assured me it would be there today. Once again I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he still hasn't responded to requests for more info and I see his last activity as being in conversation with someone this morning, so I fear it is going to happen to someone else as well. I hope I am wrong and have to issue a public apology when I get a call from my FFL later today, but I had to alert everyone to the possibility.

Last edited:

akgrant

Bearcat
Claims Phoenix Arizona, but looking it up, I couldn't match the phone number or address with the name- Mason Tomei. Guess I should have done that first before sending the money. Always had good luck avoiding this, won't be posting another wanted ad on any forum now

RC44Mag

Bearcat
Hopefully you’re pleasantly surprised when it comes today or tomorrow. If not it that really sucks and scammers like that should be treated the way they did horse thieves back in the day.

akgrant

Bearcat
I'm not great with the internet search and destroy stuff, but here is the info he gave me. Address appears valid, though no result for the name, phone works but has a screening service (not uncommon now) email worked at the time.
Name: Mason Tomei
Venmo tag: @Mason2399
Email: [email protected]
Address: 240 W. Osborn Road, #2025,
Phoenix, AZ 85013
Phone: (520) 365-2068

SWR

Single-Sixer
My searches indicate only one Mason Tomei in the entire country and he is listed as being in California. Odd name for sure

SWR

Single-Sixer
Fraud report

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussion Starter · #1 · Mar 21, 2022

I got scammed on another forum and wanted to give you fine folks a heads up. The guy goes by the name of "Glichy" (at least on the S&W Forum) and has an email of: [email protected]

Please be careful. Also, I am sure I have been placed in the SPAM folder by now but don't be afraid to let this guy know what you think of Scammers.
Here is the address I sent money to:
240 W. Osborn Road, #2025,
Phoenix, AZ 85013

Last edited:

SWR

Single-Sixer
Last known addresses

941 Lewelling Blvd #109
San Leandro CA

420 Grangnelli Ave # 29
Antioch CA

Phone 510-351-2742
510-614-0952

Age 23

dweis

Single-Sixer
I have bought very few expensive items on forums. I was going to purchase a pistol a couple years ago I asked the seller to email me a scan of his driver’s license so that I could establish his identity, so I could have a record of the seller in case there were any problems. I told him I would reply with a copy of my DL so he would have a record. Never heard from him again. If you can get the DL copy, you can verify the address to which you ship or from where shipped. That impedes using a false ID and address when buying or selling. Also pay by USPS money order beciae if the transaction tube comes fraudulent the perp has committed mail fraud. The Postal Inspection Service has amazing investigative capability to deal with mail fraud.

On the slight chance that they'd drop their doughnuts and check into it for you, you might give the Maricopa County Sheriff a call
at 602 876-1000 and see if they could at least check that apartment. Assuming you sent the money to that address somebody lives there or rents it
to have access to collect the mail.

LCP22LR

Administrator
Staff member
How did you communicate with them? You should never do business with someone via PM.

Their IP's are using is a VPN out of TX.

akgrant

Bearcat
The only way I've even seen business done on any forum past the "I'll take it" or "I have it" post is it moving to PM. Thought I was being careful getting full info and pics with name and date, but clearly should have done a lot more. Lesson learned. I'll be making some calls later for sure

dwayne

Single-Sixer
Here’s my perspective … The credibility of sellers isn’t going to get better until there is some “bite” that accompanies scamming our members (and members of any reputable forum like this). I’ve never heard of any scammer on this, or any board, that has been rooted out, prosecuted and punished. So, I am left to believe that forums like this one provide a free-for-all platform for crooks. That’s the ugly reality of it. However … there are wonderful members here that occasionally offer guns for sale. I have bought several here. The credibility of these transactions were 100% in the hands of the sellers and every transaction was perfect in every way. Do your homework. 100% of the credibility of the transaction rests with the seller. Remember that.

Latest posts