US pilot shot down 4 MiGs during Korean War

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ride1949

Buckeye
Great story. Thanks for posting it. I big salute to Royce Williams. A true hero indeed.

Quick Draw

Bearcat
Incredible piece of flying. I recently watched the movie Devotion depicting an F4U Corsair shooting down a MIG-15. I was thinking BS. Hollywood writers at it again. A WW II era piston engine propeller driven plane against the newest swept wing jet powered fighter? Looked it up and it really did happen. A Corsair shot down a MIG in real life. We really did have some skilled and brave pilots back then. Luckily we still do.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Incredible piece of flying. I recently watched the movie Devotion depicting an F4U Corsair shooting down a MIG-15. I was thinking BS. Hollywood writers at it again. A WW II era piston engine propeller driven plane against the newest swept wing jet powered fighter? Looked it up and it really did happen. A Corsair shot down a MIG in real life. We really did have some skilled and brave pilots back then. Luckily we still do.
When my brother’s Texas Air NG commander was in the Army Air Corps in WW2, he flew a P-47 “Jug” and shot down a German ME-262 jet fighter.
He said those nazi jets ate up the fuel and had to land after limited flight time, so the US pilots would catch them when they were approaching their air bases to refuel.

timnc

Single-Sixer
You might also be interested in the story of Dolph Overton. I was privileged to know this man and he shared some of his experiences with me. I can't figure out how to link it but look him up on Wikipedia.

JCK

Bearcat
Crossing the “line” was a frequent thing.
An acquaintance was a Korean War vet who flew P51 Mustangs.
He related a number of stories about flying combat in Korea.

He described how they were assigned to flying ground support and attacking bridges, railroads and trucks on highways. Frustrated by rules of engagement and watching the migs attacking B29 bombers at high altitude, they (P51’s) after dropping ordinance would loiter and wait for the migs to return to bases. They would follow them and empty their .50cal machine guns!
He claimed shooting down a half dozen and of the several that ejected, or he could see as he over flew them, every one was a blond headed Russian!
The weakness of the Migs was limited fuel quantity and pneumatic flight controls that used a non-replenished (in flight) air charge in a scuba like air tank, and limited ammunition stores.
But; they were fast, agile, and dangerous.... till they weren’t.

Latest posts