Upgraded to the Mark II 22/45...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MacTech

Bearcat
I've been aggrivated by my Ruger MkII 5.5" blued pistol recently, been fighting light strikes and stovepiping, also, my H&R 949 has been less than accurate, I wasn't happy with either of them, so when I stopped off at my gunshop this evening, I spied *this*;
IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

it came with the box, manual, and an extra mag, the gun itself is in great shape, strong rifling, smooth, clean action, nice crisp trigger, and the Ruger Eagle on the back of the bolt is a nice subtle touch

I especially like the grip angle, just like my Kimber Custom II, 1911 pattern pistols point very naturally for me, I also like the mag release being on the side, instead of the heel of the grip, the polymer frame, meh, don't really care either way, I would have preferred a steel frame, but Ruger doesn't make a steel framed 22/45...

I especially like the fact that it's a Mark II revision, lacking all the "Lawyer/Nannycrap" features, according to the serial #, it's approx. a 1993 vintage model

So, I traded the Mark II and H&R 949 for it, and not only didn't it cost me a thing, the gunshop actually owed *me* $8 in return ;), the only thing better than a "free" gun is one that the store pays *you* for :D

I got a new-to-me gun in better shape** than my old MkII, *and* got free dinner out of it (McDonald's, admittedly, but free is free.....)

**the old MkII had bluing wear on the muzzle, a few spots of surface corrosion in the nooks and crannies, a scuffed up rear grip portion where the mainspring housing fits, and it had light strike issues, and stovepiping problems, the stainless 22/45 is in far better shape

KEN TN

Bearcat
Great looking 22/45.

I sold my Mk II 22/45 and do miss it.
I had a 4" bull barrel in blue and bought a second barrel and receiver for it that was Stainless in the Std tapered Model 4" barrel. Just waiting for Volquartsen to release their aluminum grip frame and I'll put one together.
I thought I could order a 22/45 grip frame from Ruger but they said only if you send in your old one...

Enjoy that new 22/45 and get a rapid reloader for it. That way you can shoot more and spend less time loading clips.
MY favorite is made by McFaden.

http://www.mcfaden.com/Clip_Loader.htm

Ken TN

TROB

Bearcat
thats on my "list" .

maybe ill join the club pretty soon. It looks great

John K

Bearcat
I just bought its' twin for $275.00.
I have a MKII 22/45 6 5/8 slabside I wnat to sell now.

I really like that stainless pistol.

Just try to wear it out, I dare yuoo. You just can't do it.

You did well!

MacTech

Bearcat
Range report on my MkII 22/45;

Before I took it to the range, I field stripped it, and removed the gripframe from the reciever, it appears to have been unfired, there was no signs of use, no gunpowder residue, no crud buildup on the chamber face, it was spotless, so, I'm assuming that this pistol was originally unfired (either that or the previous owner did a stellar job of cleaning, as there wasn't even the tiniest bit of evidence it had ever been fired

So, on the assumption that this was an unfired gun, here's the range report

Functioning; 95%, out of 100 rounds shot, there were two failures to feed, due to me not slapping the mag in fully, that was my fault, one misfeed that dented a cartridge halfway up the brass, not sure how that happened, and one round was a partial dud that fired when re-chambered and fired a second time (bad primer)

I know all brand new guns have to go through a break-in procedure, so I'm not dissapointed in the three failures it had, once it's had time to break in, i'll be expecting 99.99% reliability from it (no firearm can ever be 100% reliable, it's highly statistically improbable), this 22/45 however, *HAS* been more reliable than the old Mark II I swapped for it

Accuracy; it was cold and windy (28F with wind chill, wind from WNW at 17 MPH), and my hands were a bit chilled, so I wasn't shooting as well as I could have, but this pistol *was* able to shoot a few one-holers at 15 yards, most groups were half-dollar sized, I'm sure it'll perform better in less windy and warmer conditions

This pistol was also more accurate than the old MkII

I'm quite happy with the performance of my MkII 22/45, it's a keeper, the only mod I want to do now is to remove the ball detent on the bolt stop to allow slingshotting the bolt, as that's one feature I do miss from the old MkII

mattsbox99

Hunter
Good to hear you found one you like! There are so many MK varieties out there that there is literally one for everyone! :)

I have two 22/45s, both are MKIIIs, I shoot steel challenge with one, and the other has a Pac Lite upper on it. All of my MKs are pretty accurate, but the MKIIIs all are more accurate than any of my other MKs.

MacTech

Bearcat
D'oh!, I've been doing some research online (Bad MacTech, *STOP* doing that, you know it makes you spend money!...), and now I'm wanting to install the Volquartsen sear/trigger/hammer combo to improve trigger pull

Latest posts