UPDATE ~ w/pics and range report ~ Got a SFAR today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Ruger has 2 or 3 good videos on their web site about this new offering.

retired 10st

Bearcat
I have the 16 and 20 inch models. I bought the 16 about a month ago bought the 20 2 days ago. put troy flip ups , radian charging handle, sig romeo 5, moe+ grip, bcm kag handstop on the 16.

Attachments

• 20221221_213512.jpg
    20221221_213512.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90

hittman

Staff member
I recently asked my local small town mom and pop store how many of these they've sold.
They said I was the first to ask about them and they sold me the only one they've been able to get!

kwb377

Bearcat
I picked up a 16" a few weeks ago. I initially mounted a Burris RT-6 (1-6x) from my Colt 5.56...

173183886.ec4dc59d.JPEG

173190418.12e1ea3f.JPEG

173190419.f823dcc4.PNG

173190420.5df88753.PNG

I've since mounted a Sig Tango-MSR 1-10x and also replaced the original muzzle brake with a BCM compensator (the Boomer brake worked pretty well...I just prefer the aesthetics of the BCM brake). I'm hoping the extra magnification will help my aging eyes tighten the groups up a bit...

173256967.c82db6f2.JPEG

So far, I've put @ 250 rounds through it with no issues (all on the #2 gas setting) other than failing to lock open on empty with one particular magazine (I'm attributing that to the magazine).

Last edited:

gunzo

Buckeye
Hello KWB, welcome to the forum.

Do you what shot sequence the flier in each group was? If I were to guess I'd say the first shot, just curious.
But no matter, pretty doggone good shooting for rifle like this IMO.

kwb377

Bearcat
Not sure...I was trying to get shots off between wind gusts and I was having issues with my contact lenses being dry. Surprised I was able to get on paper at all. :)

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I recently asked my local small town mom and pop store how many of these they've sold.
They said I was the first to ask about them and they sold me the only one they've been able to get!

Had very similar experience with my LGS. They reserved their first one for me and sold it well under MSRP.

20" barrel, removed comp before firing it. Mounted a moderately priced proven scope with a Leupold mount. Recoil is minimal, keeping the target in the scope may be possible with practice. 100% reliability at appx 60 rounds with 150gr and 180gr .308 and 7.62NATO. Haven't wrung it out with many types of ammo yet, but results from 150gr WWB at 100 yards are encouraging - MOA with one flyer per mag. Shot a doe at 110 yards, no disappoint.

ETA: It is a fun gun to shoot, could get costly fast, LOL

I would suggest using care if/when 'using a punch to knock the pins out'. You can actually break the receiver where the detents sit by over zealous hammer/punch activities.
IF this is a continuing problem, push the pins out and look for the 'detent groove', It will be on the rear side of the pivot pin and the bottom side of the takedown pin. With pins in the 'out' position, put a drop on your favorite oil in the detent groove and then push the pin back into the lower. Set the lower in a position that allows the oil to gravitate around/into the pin recess for a couple minutes before going to the next pin. After the lube has soaked in, take some time and move the pins from detent stop in to detent stop out several times.
This usually helps/improves the movement. The pins are grooved and the detent divots made in separate machine operations which sometimes causes a burr at the edge of the detent hole. Continued battering will result in enlarging the detent pin hole OR as I mentioned, can actually crack/break the hole out.
I've seen a couple of AR 15's that were held together with socket head 1/4" bolts for this very reason.

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
Excellent! Glad to see these being out and being shot, with range reports! For us folks in the "special " states any word on components being offered? Stripped lowers, complete uppers? How about buffer tube? Ar-15 ? We are stuck with the thordson stock here and wonder if it's compatible. I like they offer a 20" ! Gives us room to chop the threads off and target crown. Many hoops here to jump but we will not be deterred!