UPDATE ~ w/pics and range report ~ Got a SFAR today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Local small town mom and pop gun store called and said I was first on their list.

20" barrel …. The only one they received. In the 5800 serial number range so seems they've cranked out quite a few of them so far.

Price was about $125 higher than I see on line but ….. they were good enough to throw in a set of pop up sites ($32.95), an additional P-Mag ($24.95) and a box of PPU ammo ($19.95). And I'm the strange duck who always enjoys buying locally.

Will let you know when I get to the range.

My grown boy went many years with little or no firearms interest, in spite of being very exposed and experienced as a child. The last few years, his firearms interest has erupted, over the top, and a gun on his immediate wish list is this new BLRFQ. Okay, SFAR. Describing a gun by a whole bunch of letters disrupts my memory bank.:unsure:

If the elections this fall don't end up banning such a rifle, I see this rifle coming to our stable.🥳

hittman

Staff member
No sir ….. SFAR is their new AR-10, in "generic" terms of course. ;)

G2

Hunter
.308 Small Frame AR

Per Ruger;
BIGGER AND STRONGER WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE AND REMAINS SMALLER AND LIGHTER THAN COMPARABLE .308-SIZED RIFLES.

Sitting tight for the Report😀

hittman

Staff member
I don't reload or shoot competition or have interest in comparing different ammo brands and all that.

But, I do think this adjustable gas thingy is pretty cool assuming it does work as designed. It's not something I will ever use but can see where it'd be a great tool for many.

hittman

Staff member
This is the ammo used and my 2 first targets.

Open sites, 50 yards, bench rest on sandbags.

Cleaned gun before and after the range trip. Zero malfunctions.

I can see how this would be a very accurate gun with even average quality optics.

\
1664996123843.jpeg

1664996151207.jpeg

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Very nice. If you really want to see how accurate it can be out of the box get a box or two to FGMM 168's. Many rifles with a 1:10-1:11 twist will about cut groups about in half just using Fed Match.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
This gun is very tight as it fits together. Even had to use a punch to knock out the take down pin. Seems like a good sign to me. No doubt it'll loosen up some with use.

"Another thing ….. I've got the gas tube setting at the factory recommended "3". All the brass landed about 6 to 8 feet out at 2 o'clock position."
This is probably OK for the 'break in period' but based on AR 15 experience, I'd cut the gas setting down a notch (maybe 2). For longevity and shooting comfort, the AR type system should be tossing brass in the 4 o'clock area. I like to see the brass land in a fairly consistent pattern about 3-4' out (at most) in that 3-4 o'clock spot.
" Even had to use a punch to knock out the take down pin."
This may be related to the 'detent' for the takedown pin as much as due to tight fit. This happens frequently in new AR's.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Thank you for the review of your new Ruger SFAR
308. Appears accurate and has that Ruger
dependability I like. Definitely interested in one.

The adjustable Gas Block is a brilliant consideration
needed for a Suppressor. Someone was thinking.

I still stand by getting the 16.1" barrel. I had the
opportunity to shoot a Wyoming made Stag Arms
AR10, iron sights, and suppressor.

Man, talk about heavy and awkward handling.
Wasn't even a scoped yet. Definitely not for
hunting around here, a good stand hunting
rifle.

The WY Stag was definitely accurate. Interesting
to shoot. Ejected to the 2:00, even when dirty.
Gas Block is needed. Ear protection not required.

Looking forward for any more reviews from you.
Also looking forward to see a Ruger SFAR 308.

Last edited:

Latest posts