UPDATE: .327 Fed. Mag. conversion from 22 Mag OM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ethang said:
Not to hijack the thread but how is the Red Dog holster? I really want a full Duke rig for my 32 mag and his Ebay site looks like a good deal.

I and my shooting partner both have Red Dog double rigs with fully lined Cheyene double loop holsters with the authentic money belt. Mine were made for Colt Open Top Cimarron copies and fit perfectly. His were made for Colt SAAs and they fit perfect. The belt is folded over and stitched on one side and is very supple and comfortable to wear all day yet easily supports the weight of two guns.

Excellent workmanship and very decent price IMO. I have Bianchi Duke rigs because I've had them for years but wouldn't hesitate to get Red Dog's.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Update: This is my last completed project, an OM 22 single six converted to 32 Mag. Now with ramp front sight after sighting it in since photo taken:

I ordered a Clymer .32 Mag chamber reamer from Brownells. They didn't have a 32 Fed Mag reamer and a call to Clymer verified that they didn't make one. But all I needed to do was extend the 32 H&R chambers .122" to Fed Mag length. So I ordered the 32 H&R reamer, ground the stop back .122" and reamed my chambers.

When I shot it today I had two surprises: one good and one bad. Even though the Fed mags in the 85 Gr HP Hyrda shock loads were .002-.003" longer than the chambers, my .005" bar/cyl gap was sufficient for the loaded cyl to rotate w/o interference. The bad news was the rounds would not go off.

Although 32 Longs and 32 H&R Mags shot reliably with the original 22 RF firing pin, the Fed Mags would not. However the Feds shot fine in my reamed cylinder when installed in my Ruger NM 32 H&R Mag SS. The reason: the 32 Mag Ruger has a longer firing pin., so now I have one on order.

I won't be able to shoot longer bullets unless I seat them lower, but the Hydra shock factory loads are a fine cartridge.

$300 for the gun, $180 for 32 H&R barrel and cylinder and $79 for the reamer to extend chambers to .327 Fed Mag. A couple of bucks for a 32 mag firing pin.